Question / Help [SOLVED] OBS w/Canon XA 25 & Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder - not working

ChrisLCrawford

I was able to setup my system and livestream to Facebook once. As soon as I closed OBS, following the successful livestream, the signal broke and I have not been able to re-establish it. In OBS, I have a black screen when I select the Blackmagic Device source.

My system/equipment specs are as follows:
- iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
macOS Mojave v 10.14.5
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB
- Canon XA25 Camcorder with 1.0.4.0 firmware
- Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder
- Thunderbolt cable (ordered from B&H)

I have:
- uninstalled and reinstalled Blackmagic Converters 7.3.3, Blackmagic Desktop Video 11.2, and OBS Mac 23.2.1.
- verified Blackmagic Desktop Video is set for the proper Video Input
* I've tried both HDMI and SDI connection types and settings
- power cycled the camera and the computer
- verified the frame rate in camera matches the frame rate in OBS source settings
- searched Google for hours

Any suggestions?

ChrisLCrawford

Does the feed work properly in blackmagic's media express?
Harold,
Thanks for the advice. I launched Blackmagic Media Express and had no feed. I changed the camera's video output from HDMI to SD/HDI and swapped to an SDI cable. Then changed the input inside of Desktop Video to SDI. After these changes, I launched Media Express and the footage was there and live.
Then I launched OBS and tadaaaaa, the video was there and the angels rejoiced!

I have zero clue why this happened, nor what I did (aside from the obvious swap from HDMI to SDI...thank goodness this camera has an SDI option) but it is working now.

Will it be working on Sunday, when we try to go live again??? We will have to wait and see.

Maybe this will help someone else in the future. And maybe it will be my reference for when it stops working again. Nonetheless, thanks for your help!

Blessings,
Chris
Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 7.27.53 PM.jpg