Screenshot file types changeable?

HastyRhombus760

Hello and thanks for reading. Is there any way to change the file extension on screenshots taken during game play? They are currently being saved in ".jxr" format and this causes issues when I try to edit them later. I would like them to be saved in jpg or png format. I am guessing the file type is related to the recording settings for video but I do not know if screenshot settings can be changed independently or not, I cannot find a way. Thanks for any help you can give.

HastyRhombus760

So no one knows anything about this? It would be nice if there was a separate section to make screenshot choices in but since there is not can it be done any place in the software?

Harold

and I have a similar number that are png that were saved with the screenshot function in obs.

So provide an OBS log from after creating a screenshot please.

Suslik V

Type depends on environment and setup (HDR or not): if this is HDR then .jxr (Xbox format) otherwise .png (8-bit per component)

log-file need just to ensure this, but the format of the screenshots cannot be changed by the user. The 16-bits per component png files were very specific to 3D software and wasn't common for the 2D editors and HDR lightening/environment/display description. For OBS the things may change in the future but do not expect much.

@Harold technical details are here:

HastyRhombus760

Here is the log. If I am using game capture I get jxr, if I use display capture I get png but display capture play back is more laggy / jittery so I use game capture.

Attachments

• 2023-04-23 11-25-13.txt
    11.3 KB · Views: 37

Suslik V

From the log:
Code:
11:25:13.716:         bits_per_color=10
It seems that one of your display devices is HDR capable. I think, you can switch it off and play on other device to get all in SDR and in .png format (anyway you making 8-bit recordings as I see). The other approach here is to install OS were OBS cannot make HDR screenshots - they all converted (with "tone mapping") back into the SDR on the fly. Right now I don't see other way to change the screenshot format in OBS for you.

It will be interesting if you will apply filter HDR Tone Mapping (Override) with Tone Transform into SDR to your Game Capture source and start to make screenshots of this filtered source rather than its raw data. Anyway you setup OBS to make SDR recordings.

HastyRhombus760

Update....
I went into my monitor settings and turned off the sRGB clamp/lock and now OBS saves png screenshots without changing any other settings or adding filters. Thanks to those of you who responded with helpful input.
I did not want to turn off my better monitor. I bought that one to game on and it would be a huge waste of money to turn it off and go back to using my old monitor.

HastyRhombus760

Hello again. After I installed the latest OBS update this jxr issue is back and what worked before no longer does. Anyone have any more ideas on how I can fix this issue? I tried using the HDR Tone Mapping (Override) filter and it did nothing. The screenshots come out over exposed and I have all HDR settings turned off in the OS (Windows 10 Pro).

Last edited:

Suslik V

My guess:
you running the game fullscreen rather than borderless window, thus any system settings can be ignored. The game simply renders HDR image to your display device because it capable of, and graphics settings of the game allows it. Turn of HDR rendering in the game itself (if it even possible).

But, the best solution is to rollback to the version of OBS that worked fine for you.

HastyRhombus760

My guess:
you running the game fullscreen rather than borderless window, thus any system settings can be ignored. The game simply renders HDR image to your display device because it capable of, and graphics settings of the game allows it. Turn of HDR rendering in the game itself (if it even possible).

But, the best solution is to rollback to the version of OBS that worked fine for youThe game is set to SDR
The game is set to SDR. I tried uninstalling OBS and reinstalling the previous version and it is stuck with jxr unless I use display capture instead of game capture. I will post a log later.

HastyRhombus760

My guess:

But, the best solution is to rollback to the version of OBS that worked fine for you.
Here is the log you requested. Hope it points to the issue.

Attachments

• 2023-05-17 20-06-06.txt
    17.4 KB · Views: 25

Suslik V

You met unfortunate sequence of events. In the first posted log you made screenshot before the game picture was captured - OBS complains about invalid size. In the second log there is no screenshot made at all or it wasn't logged by OBS...

Before you rollback to previous version of OBS you need to remove all files in the: "C:\ProgramData\obs-studio-hook\" - this is hidden part of the Game Capture of OBS. With the first run of OBS the hook files will be written again and their version will match the OBS. There were some changes related to the Vulkan API in OBS v29.1.1 in these hook files. Maybe this affects your setup, somehow. I can only guess on this. Sorry. I don't have much experience with HDR stuff.

HastyRhombus760

You met unfortunate sequence of events. In the first posted log you made screenshot before the game picture was captured - OBS complains about invalid size. In the second log there is no screenshot made at all or it wasn't logged by OBS...

Before you rollback to previous version of OBS you need to remove all files in the: "C:\ProgramData\obs-studio-hook\" - this is hidden part of the Game Capture of OBS. With the first run of OBS the hook files will be written again and their version will match the OBS. There were some changes related to the Vulkan API in OBS v29.1.1 in these hook files. Maybe this affects your setup, somehow. I can only guess on this. Sorry. I don't have much experience with HDR stuff.
Thanks for everything. I think I am just going to uninstall OBS altogether and use a different program. OBS just has too many issues for me and I spend more time trying to troubleshoot than I do any thing else. I am moving to the other OBS or the Radeon built in recorder.