Bug Report Screen tearing/random glitching w/ Window Capture

gwilly

https://obsproject.com/logs/ZOybFjnHERYbD4Fr

Hey there! So I'm having a minor but incredibly irritating issue/bug where while window capturing Elgato Game Capture HD software on my Mac, there is random screen glitches/tearing/something or other that's really gettin' on my nerves. I've tried creating a new scene with just the window cap, I've tried removing each thing one by one from the scene to see if that's causing the issue, and I'm getting no leads here. I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions or if this is a bug that needs to be taken care of?

Here's a clip someone made during a stream where you can notice it a bit: https://clips.twitch.tv/ExcitedTardyPastaCeilingCat

It's not so bad that it ruins anyone's ability to see the game clearly or ruin the stream, but it's a very annoying random thing that I'd like to fix.

Computer specs:
Mac Pro Late 2013 running macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)
Processor - 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory - 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Graphics - AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB

OBS version is latest for Mac: 22.0.3.

Narcogen

In Settings > Advanced are you turning off vsync or leaving it on? Might try toggling whatever is currently set-- turning it off is the default.

The bottom line is that window capture is the worst performing method on MacOS, and when using an Elgato it's the only choice. You'd be much better off either with different hardware, or booting into Windows.

gwilly

Yeah, VSync was off by default and I turned it on, no changes. And yeah... I'm too aware that Window Capture doesn't perform well, but unfortunately I don't really have any other options atm. It at least didn't used to visually glitch out like it is now. :/

chris kovaz

In Settings > Advanced are you turning off vsync or leaving it on? Might try toggling whatever is currently set-- turning it off is the default.

The bottom line is that window capture is the worst performing method on MacOS, and when using an Elgato it's the only choice. You'd be much better off either with different hardware, or booting into Windows.
would elgato work andnot have to use window capture then?

Narcogen

You can use Elgato capture cards directly in OBS on Windows without using window capture, yes, because Elgato supplies Windows device drivers.

stlfancs

So as of right now there is now way to fix the glitching screen for a window capture on Mac? It didn't used to do this. This is now an useable tool for all mac users?

Narcogen

Screen tearing isn't a glitch, it's a performance issue. The only workarounds for screen tearing during window capture on MacOS is 1) reduce load on the system so that tearing doesn't occur, or 2) don't use window capture.

WIndow capture performs less well than display capture. Of course, if you load your system sufficiently you can get screen tearing even in display mode, but that's not a glitch, either, it's just a consequence.