Question / Help Running OBS on Ubuntu...

Rayj

So, does OBS run on Ubuntu Server or Desktop? I'd really like to be able to control OBS remotely, if that makes any sense.

Thanks,

Ray

sebix

You need an X server as OBS needs the GUI. You can then control OBS remotely via SSH, VNC whatever you want.

Rayj

You need an X server as OBS needs the GUI. You can then control OBS remotely via SSH, VNC whatever you want.

Now that sounds promising. Is there any documentation on how to configure this (X server, SSH, etc.)? Actually I know how to configure SSH. It's the X server that I may have problems with.

Thanks for your response....

Ray

Rayj

Ok I am following the OBS Linux install instructions located on this website.
I have an brand new Virtual Machine of Ubuntu 16.04 updated.

The very fist thing in the install instructions is a Note: OpenGL 3.2 or later is required. It then says to issue this comand:

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL"

First I had to install glxinfo: sudo apt-get install mesa-utils

then run: glxinfo | grep "OpenGL" and I get: Error: unable to open display

So how to install OpenGL? sudo apt-get install OpenGL results in Unable to locate package OpenGL?

Now what?

Ray

Rayj

Now getting these errors when trying to install OBS:
W: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/kirillshkrogalev/ffmpeg-next/ubuntu xenial Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potential ly dangerous to use.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration deta ils.
E: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/kirillshkrogalev/ffmpeg-next/ubuntu/ dists/xenial/main/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found
E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Rayj

Ok, finally got VNC working. Recall I created a Virtual Machine (vBox) with Ubuntu 16.0.4 server.

Here is the results of starting OBS on Ubuntu using VNC:

ray@x11obs:~$ obs
Qt: XKEYBOARD extension not present on the X server.
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en-US.ini
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en-US.ini
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale.ini
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/locale.ini
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Default.qss
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Default.qss
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/license/gplv2.txt
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/license/gplv2.txt
info: Processor: 1 logical cores
info: Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
info: Physical Memory: 3951MB Total
info: Kernel Version: Linux 4.4.0-62-generic
info: Distribution: "Ubuntu" "16.04"
info: Portable mode: false
info: OBS 19.0.2 (linux)
info: ---------------------------------
info: audio settings reset:
samples per sec: 44100
speakers: 2
info: Initializing OpenGL...
error: ARB_GLX_create_context not supported!
error: Failed to create context!
error: device_create (GL) failed
error: Failed to initialize video. Your GPU may not be supported, or your graphics drivers may need to be updated.
info: Freeing OBS context data
info: == Profiler Results =============================
info: run_program_init: 45382.2 ms
info: ┣OBSApp::AppInit: 63.134 ms
info: ┃ ┗OBSApp::InitLocale: 43.011 ms
info: ┗OBSApp::OBSInit: 11106.1 ms
info: ┣obs_startup: 4.462 ms
info: ┗OBSBasic::OBSInit: 19.197 ms
info: ┣OBSBasic::InitBasicConfig: 0.454 ms
info: ┣OBSBasic::ResetAudio: 0.251 ms
info: ┗OBSBasic::ResetVideo: 18.437 ms
info: obs_hotkey_thread(25 ms): min=0.055 ms, median=0.11 ms, max=1.911 ms, 99th percentile=0.246 ms, 100% below 25 ms
info: audio_thread(Audio): min=0 ms, median=0.007 ms, max=0.03 ms, 99th percentile=0.018 ms
info: =================================================
info: == Profiler Time Between Calls ==================
info: obs_hotkey_thread(25 ms): min=25.079 ms, median=25.471 ms, max=28.57 ms, 68.3002% within ±2% of 25 ms (0% lower, 31.6998% higher)
info: =================================================
info: Number of memory leaks: 164

Note that OBS v18.0.2 works fine on my Host Vbox Win 7 machine. I have not tried v19 on it.

Any ideas? I suspect it's the Virtual Machine hardware config but not sure.

Thanks,

Ray

It looks like OBS isn't finding or has access to opengl in the vnc server. I did a quick search, and you may want to try the following, which gives vnc displays access to opengl.

http://www.virtualgl.org/

Again I haven't tried it so don't know if it will work or not.

Rayj

Thanks David. To clarify, I am just experimenting to stream remotely to Facebook or Youtube via RTMP. I thought RTMP does not need OpenGL, correct?

Rayj

You need a GPU with at least OpenGL 3.2 support.

Let me clarify again what I am trying to do. I would like to see if I can run OBS on a remote Ubuntu instance to stream to
Facebook or Youtube.Obviously I will not be using

I have installed Ubuntu 16.04.4 serveron Virtual Machine (vBox). I updated it with current patches. Fine.
Next I installed xserver-xorg and ffmpeg.# Not sure if I needed to do this. But they installed fine.
Next I installed OBS. It installed fine.
Next I installed TightVNC on the server and my Windows 7 client. Fine.
Now, when I vnc into the box and open a terminal and issue the obs command, it failed, complaining about OpenGL.

I will not be using the OBS source of "Video Capture Device". I will be using "Media Source" over RTMP.
Is this possible or am I totally clueless here?

Osiris

And as i mentioned, you need a GPU (virtual or not) that has OpenGL 3.2 support. VirtualBox does NOT have that.

Rayj

So, in order to host OBS say in an Amazon cloud, the host will need a GPU? Does Amazon provide VPS with dedicated GPU's?

Thanks,

Ray

Rayj

According to Amazon:

Q. How are P2 instances different from G2 instances?

P2 instances use NVIDIA Tesla K80 GPUs and are designed for general purpose GPU computing using the CUDA or OpenCL programming models. P2 instances provide customers with high bandwidth 20Gbps networking, powerful single and double precision floating-point capabilities, and error-correcting code (ECC) memory, making them ideal for deep learning, high performance databases, computational fluid dynamics, computational finance, seismic analysis, molecular modeling, genomics, rendering, and other server-side GPU compute workloads. G2 instances use NVIDIA GRID GPUs and provide a cost-effective, high-performance platform for graphics applications using DirectX or OpenGL. NVIDIA GRID GPUs also support NVIDIA’s fast capture and encode APIs. Example applications include video creation services, 3D visualizations, streaming graphics-intensive applications, and other server-side graphics workloads.

Q. What APIs and programming models are supported by GPU Graphics and Compute instances?

With the initial driver release, G2 instances support DirectX 9, 10, and 11, OpenGL 4.3, CUDA 5.5, OpenCL 1.1, and DirectCompute. With the latest driver release, CG1 instances support CUDA 5.5, OpenCL 1.1, and DirectCompute. With the latest driver release, P2 instances support CUDA 7.5 and OpenCL 1.2.