RTSP camera into OBS - stream URL advice

NCUK-Graham

Hope this might help someone who is experiencing the same problem I had. Long story short, the character between the Username and Password in your rtsp URL needs to be a COLON and not a FULL-STOP. Thus:

"rtsp://(U):(P)@192.XXX.X.XX:8554/profile0"

Now read on for the back story if you want! ;-)

I spent several hours across two days trying to get OBS to "see" my outdoor IP camera which connects by ethernet to my router. VLC Player could see it no problem once I had entered the Username and Password into the pop-up box on initial set-up.

After searching in many places and watching several YouTube videos on the subject, I finally realised that I had the syntax of my camera's IP address wrong in the Media Source settings. I had a full-stop (a.k.a. "period") between Username and Password instead of a colon.

So, on my private network I was trying to use

"rtsp://(U).(P)@192.XXX.X.XX:8554/profile0"

where (U) is the Username and (P) the Password. Note the full-stop between the (U) & the (P). You may be asking yourself why I was using a full stop there and not a colon. Well...,

I've used VLC player in the past to access the same camera remotely when away from home (having already assigned static IP address to the camera and set up the appropriate port forwarding on my home router). For this scenario the rtsp address I used (having researched the matter) had a full-stop between the Username and Password, like so:

"rtsp://(U).(P)@86.X.XX.XXX:8554/profile0"

That URL in VLC Player worked flawlessly. It seems that for OBS, at least on my private network, it has to be a colon, like so:

"rtsp://(U):(P)@192.XXX.X.XX:8554/profile0"

OBS picked up the stream almost immediately once I had substituted the full-stop for a colon.

AaronD

Just looking at how URL's tend to work in general, I think it's supposed to be a colon regardless, but maybe VLC "corrected your mistake"? (or the mistake in some instructions that you followed?)

NCUK-Graham

Just looking at how URL's tend to work in general, I think it's supposed to be a colon regardless, but maybe VLC "corrected your mistake"? (or the mistake in some instructions that you followed?)
Thanks Aaron, not being an IT pro that's not something I was aware of, but useful to know. Cheers!