Question / Help (Resolved) OBS causes certain games to lag

gorgathor

Hey everyone,

I was trying to stream Final Fantasy 9 (the steam store version) and I noticed that OBS is fine when I start it up, but as soon as I start trying to play that game or FF7(Steam as well), the game lags horribly to where it looks like it's moving at 2 FPS. In watching the view on OBS, I can see that I am also choppy. Strangely enough, this does not affect the audio of the game.

I recently came across some tips that since I'm using Nvidia, I should be using NVENC H.264 and I changed it to that and it seems to have made no difference.

I don't have this issue with any other games as I was able to stream League of Legends with no issues for about 5 hours. Only when I try to play FF7 or FF9 on stream does it begin to lag.

Also, after OBS is closed, the game continues to lag as if OBS is running. I thought that was interesting as well.

Here is a log from a recent test recording of the gameplay with OBS open. I have the video of how it lags if needed as well, but hopefully the log is enough.

https://pastebin.com/ktHLP34T

Thank you in advance!

===================================================

I kept messing with it more and more. As it turns out, when I created the FF7 and FF9 capture, I set it as a game capture, you know, as you do with games.

Turns out OBS doesn't like that and instead wants a Window capture.

Works perfectly once I changed it from game capture to window capture.

Attachments

• 2019-02-23 17-03-15.txt
    16.8 KB · Views: 191
Last edited: