Question / Help Resize canvas VIEW (not “resize canvas”)

alexheizer

I’ve done a dozen searches on the forum and haven’t found the answer, so forgive me if I missed this...

Is there a way to resize how large the canvas appears in the window? It always appears as large as it can in the program window. When I add larger-resolution sources like an image, their bounding boxes extend way off the canvas and I have to move them around in order to grab the handles to resize them. For example, in Photoshop, you can zoom the view of the canvas in and out by hitting Cmd-+ and Cmd— without changing the canvas size.

Thanks,
Alex

Narcogen

Right click > transform > fit to screen.

This will pull the handles in to the edges of the preview window so you can resize them.

alexheizer

Thank you. Actually, what that does is resize the Source to the window size. However, your reply led me to what I was looking for. If you right-click the canvas itself, one of the menu items is "Preview Scaling", which I can zoom out to three different sizes ("Scale to Window", "Canvas" and "Output".)

cloudzeratul

Late on the reply, but leaving it here for others searching for the solution.

To move the canvas (Drag Hand): Hold Spacebar + Left Click and Drag
To zoom the canvas (Incrementally): Hold Spacebar + Mouse Scrollwheel

Original Solution Post
OMFG, I immediately registered an account just to thank you my man. This shit bugged me for like 2 years! and now I finally know how to move it around. literally everywhere on the internet they told me "right click, scale to fit or 1:1 mode". It's just so damn annoying that I think there has to be a way... and you just have to hold spacebar, beautiful.

TonyMayo

Thank you. Actually, what that does is resize the Source to the window size. However, your reply led me to what I was looking for. If you right-click the canvas itself, one of the menu items is "Preview Scaling", which I can zoom out to three different sizes ("Scale to Window", "Canvas" and "Output".)
Do I need to change a setting or install a plugin for this? I have a fresh install of 26.1.1 on Windows 10. Right-click on the preview area and only Preview scaling options are "Window" and "Canvas" What am I missing?

Zelda21

Do I need to change a setting or install a plugin for this? I have a fresh install of 26.1.1 on Windows 10. Right-click on the preview area and only Preview scaling options are "Window" and "Canvas" What am I missing?

I had the same issue, you have to click right click on the preview and put it to a fixed size (not fit screen, so you can use space + mouse weel etc.)

ZstormVR

I had the same issue, you have to click right click on the preview and put it to a fixed size (not fit screen, so you can use space + mouse weel etc.)
Just had to make an account to thank you for this one. Could not figure it out! This allows me to zoom out my canvas now!

jmccoy11

Amazing, thanks for this!

For me I had to first go in "In Studio Mode" , select the left screen, then the spacebar trick works.

Mikah Jabrowski

I’ve done a dozen searches on the forum and haven’t found the answer, so forgive me if I missed this...

Is there a way to resize how large the canvas appears in the window? It always appears as large as it can in the program window. When I add larger-resolution sources like an image, their bounding boxes extend way off the canvas and I have to move them around in order to grab the handles to resize them. For example, in Photoshop, you can zoom the view of the canvas in and out by hitting Cmd-+ and Cmd— without changing the canvas size.

Thanks,
Alex
I am baffled by this, and for some reason my preview resloution is 820x680. if i click scale to window it just makes it bigger but not 1920x1080. what do i do. nothing works.

Attachments

• bsimage.png
    bsimage.png
    216.2 KB · Views: 2