Remux wont load into editing software

jeddell

Hi, I love recording with OBS, its a very simple system to use. I record to MKV. However when I remux the MKV File to MP4, I t wont import into Premier Pro. All I get is the audio from the file and no video.

If, on the other hand, I convert the file with something else such as VLC Media Player. The file imports into Premier pro perfectly. It does take longer to process.

Wondering if there is a setting somewhere in OBS that is causing this issue or am I bound eternally to using multiple programs and long processing times to get the file I need into my video editing software?

AaronD

Can you import the MKV directly?

Or maybe you can use a different editor? Shotcut is free and open source, does a lot, and reads and writes practically anything:
Do your entire project in there, and ditch the big-name non-compatible thing.

Suslik V

Not all codecs are compatible with the .mp4 container. Either full re-encode needed or different codec needed (that is supported by the .mp4 format).
It was my guess. Without additional details/media_info it is hard to tell what is going on here.

Aaaaa

Hi, I love recording with OBS, its a very simple system to use. I record to MKV. However when I remux the MKV File to MP4, I t wont import into Premier Pro. All I get is the audio from the file and no video.

If, on the other hand, I convert the file with something else such as VLC Media Player. The file imports into Premier pro perfectly. It does take longer to process.

Wondering if there is a setting somewhere in OBS that is causing this issue or am I bound eternally to using multiple programs and long processing times to get the file I need into my video editing software?
I faced with same issue lately.

My video was VP9 codec. If yours is something Premiere Pro doesnt support too, as I assume, it wont work. Remuxing cannot change codec, just changes container(mp4,mkv...). You can check codec by these 2 options:

1- VLC. Just play the video with VLC media player. RightClick->Tools->CodecInformation. There you should be able to see it.
2- GOM player. Just play the video with GOM player. RightClick->Playlist->ThenRigthClickOnTheVideo->FileInformation. There you should be able to see it under "video" title. Same with audio under "audio" title.
(I tried a few of players and found out these two can show it properly. I didnt try with many diffrent videos tho. Most likely you have VLC. Dont know why but it is quite popular. If you dont have these two, feel free to try it with your media players.)

Here is what you can do:
1- Reencode. Classic solve
2- Record it with OBS or some other thing. Maybe use your PC's own record system. Play the video and record it. That may save whole lot of time if record quality is good. Dont forget to adjust settings of recorder to suitable formats.