Question / Help Recording turning in to still frames.

Katjar

I am trying to record gaming videos for youtube but I can’t figure my settings out. When I finish recording and look at the video it’s fine in the beginning but later in the video it’s just still frames with audio. I have read a few threads here and tried to change my settings but it still happens. Please help!

My latest two log files:
https://hastebin.com/idicivihah
https://hastebin.com/uqegetoveb

Last edited:

koala

Your CPU is not powerful enough to encode the video. It's a somewhat low-end CPU, not fit for video encoding. 88% of all frames are dropped. You're trying to encode a 1920x1080 video, but your CPU only has the power to encode 12% of it. A resolution of 640x360 has about 11% of the pixels of 1920x1080, so try to set an output resolution of 640x360 instead of 1920x1080. For a video larger than that your CPU has probably not the power.

Katjar

Okay so my computer isn’t strong enough right? I would really like to be able to record with a somewhat decent quality, is that even possible? Is there anything else I can do except to change the output resolution?

koala

You cannot make a CPU magically do more than it is capable of. Some CPUs with internal GPU and most external GPUs have hardware encoders that relieve the CPU from most of the encoding stress, but your machine doesn't contain one. And I don't recommend you buy an external GPU for this, because the performance gain would not warrant the investment of the new card. Your whole machine is based on a 4 year old architecture. The AMD APU's looked good on paper, but were lacking in real use. Only with the current Ryzen architecture AMD closed the performance gap to Intel that got wider and wider in the years before.

Buy a (new/current) machine suited for video recording, if you want video recording.

Katjar

I am not techy enough to understand most of what you just said. If I’m going to buy a new one, what is the important things to look for?

koala

You will get an abundance of articles from all over the world if you fire up Google search and search for the phrase "pc for streaming". If you only want to record instead of streaming, much of it still applies.