Question / Help Recording Stuttering when using NVENC (new)

mysticallx

Hello! I am hoping someone can help me with this problem. I have an i5-8700k and just bought a 2070 super. I was hoping I would have the smooth recordings everyone is talking about, but I just can't seem to get that to happen.

Here are my settings:

Type: Standard
Recording Format: mkv
Encoder: NVIDIA NVENC H.264 (new)

Rate Control: CQP
CQ Level: 20
Keyframe Interval: 2
Preset: Max Quality
Profile: high
Look ahead: unchecked
Psycho Visual Tuning: checked
GPU: 0
Max B-Frames: 2

Yes, I have uninstalled my obs and display drivers and nothing has fixed it. Most recent logs are attached

Attachments

• 2020-02-21 16-07-12.txt
    9 KB · Views: 76
  • 2020-02-21 16-06-49.txt
    10.7 KB · Views: 38

Narcogen

Try turning off psycho-visual tuning. This feature adds additional load. Not sure if that will help, though, but you can try.

Are you writing to SSD or spinning drive?

BluePeer

i read Fortnite so i ~90% true you are one of the Max FPS guys?
that's the issue its overload the card without any benefits simple fix the fps to the display output (simplest way activate vsync)
if you think the game is unplayable (only a mindset error but ok) then play with the framerates

its a physical rule that you can't see unshown stuff ^^

mysticallx

Try turning off psycho-visual tuning. This feature adds additional load. Not sure if that will help, though, but you can try.

Are you writing to SSD or spinning drive?

Hi! So OBS is on an SSD and I’m recording to a hard drive

i read Fortnite so i ~90% true you are one of the Max FPS guys?
that's the issue its overload the card without any benefits simple fix the fps to the display output (simplest way activate vsync)
if you think the game is unplayable (only a mindset error but ok) then play with the framerates

its a physical rule that you can't see unshown stuff ^^

I don’t play fortnite, I primarily play World of Warcraft. The game doesn’t stutter when I record, just the actual recording stutters

olafster

Hi, I'm writing to ask if you've fixed the problem? I'm having the same issues. Is there a solution to any of them? Please help.

olafster

Try recording to the SSD then. Encoding lag can mean your output device isn't keeping up with the recording.
Hey, I think what you're saying might be true. I've changed the folder to where it records. It now goes into the file of my USB stick instead of my hard drive (I also unchecked the psycho-visual tuning) and it runs smoothly. No stutters, no lags, no nothing. Thank you! But if there's a different way someone did it, please tell me. I would like to know it case OBS acts up some day like it loves to.