Recorded audio sounds completely different compared to headphones

Warko

After I'm done recording, the audio sounds completely different from what I'm actually hearing through my headphones. I can't be certain if its the same issue others have had here, since most links to recording are dead, but they've described it as "tinny" or "missing-frequencies" and I do believe that's also what I'm experiencing.
I've been looking through other user's similar reports, but nothing has managed to help me.
These are my logs: https://obsproject.com/logs/zi14NDfDuoohdo58
Here's an example, a youtube link with audio, and a catbox link with a recording of the same audio.
The only audio "enhancement" I'm running is Logitech GHUB.
I also thought it might be an old OBS issue, so I updated, but nothing changed.

PaiSand

For the SE.Live version you should contact streamelements support.
For the OBS 29.1.2 version, you first need to fully remove se.live. Again, you should contact streamelements about this.
For issues within a plugin, you should use the subforum for said plugin.

PaiSand

You need to turn off HAGS, install a 64bit version of OBS, update Windows. Run OBS as Admin.

Test again once you fix this.

Warko

You need to turn off HAGS, install a 64bit version of OBS, update Windows. Run OBS as Admin.

Test again once you fix this.
Did everything I could. Issue presists.
However, I think i found why this happens. if I change the sound output from windows to something other than my headset, it records fine. Bad part is, I can't hear anything.
2nd discovery, if i turn off any sort of post-processing from GHUB, that fixes the scuffness, but that also changes how my headset sounds completely to what i'm used to.

Warko

Here's a demonstration of the scuffness in action. I don't think I'll be able to fix this issue, other than to not use my headset.
catbox link
This goes beyond OBS support, so I guess case closed.

Neuroatypique

After I'm done recording, the audio sounds completely different from what I'm actually hearing through my headphones. I can't be certain if its the same issue others have had here, since most links to recording are dead, but they've described it as "tinny" or "missing-frequencies" and I do believe that's also what I'm experiencing.
I've been looking through other user's similar reports, but nothing has managed to help me.
These are my logs: https://obsproject.com/logs/zi14NDfDuoohdo58
Here's an example, a youtube link with audio, and a catbox link with a recording of the same audio.
The only audio "enhancement" I'm running is Logitech GHUB.
I also thought it might be an old OBS issue, so I updated, but nothing changed.
Hello,
I have the same isue... and after several hours, I couldn´t find a technique to fix it.
Apparently, the problem come from Virtual Surround Sound, that obs didn´t like it so much.
But, I have tried to record with the surround desactivated... and the sound become super bad.

This is two exemples from Geometry Dash. One is my recording, and the second is from a youtuber with the same level (The Nexus level have the correct sound, and mine is completly muffled)
1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A68ho93Sca4&t=33s&ab_channel=Neuroatypique
2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow7nDnZTbDw&ab_channel=Nexus[GD]

I´ve find a solution which is not very good. Desactivate the Surround... but with that :
The sound is completely disgusting for us and that record a bad audio

The second solution is to record without using the Headset. Like with something other but I dont know who because every other audio recording option didnt work.

So, if someone have an answere to fix the problem, I will be very happy because I couldn´t record my gaming gameplay correctly.

XLCOLDJ

Hello,
I have the same isue... and after several hours, I couldn´t find a technique to fix it.
Apparently, the problem come from Virtual Surround Sound, that obs didn´t like it so much.
But, I have tried to record with the surround desactivated... and the sound become super bad.

This is two exemples from Geometry Dash. One is my recording, and the second is from a youtuber with the same level (The Nexus level have the correct sound, and mine is completly muffled)
1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A68ho93Sca4&t=33s&ab_channel=Neuroatypique
2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow7nDnZTbDw&ab_channel=Nexus[GD]

I´ve find a solution which is not very good. Desactivate the Surround... but with that :

The second solution is to record without using the Headset. Like with something other but I dont know who because every other audio recording option didnt work.

So, if someone have an answere to fix the problem, I will be very happy because I couldn´t record my gaming gameplay correctly.
If you show all sources in OBS and see more than one with the same signal, you are going to have bad audio until you mute all but the one you want to record. The Global Audio device(s) and the audio from Screen Capture are going to be the same signal unless you have more than one audio device. There's probably nothing wrong with your OBS--you just need to understand *how* the audio signal is routed through your system according to the configuration-changes you're making.

AaronD

Desactivate the Surround... but with that :
Don't rely on processing to fix a bad signal. Fix the signal itself.

In this case, most of your listeners probably won't have that processing, which applies only for you. So while you think you're doing good, they're actually getting what it sounds like without that final processing. So don't use it yourself either!

---

The same concept applies to the mic and any other signal, audio or video. Fix the raw source, don't process it into oblivion.
- Too much reverb? Pad the walls.
- Keyboard noise? Use a quieter keyboard, or put a board between the mic and keyboard, or use a different mic that rejects sound from the keyboard direction. (Note: *direction*, not "object". Big difference!)
- HVAC noise? Turn the HVAC off. Lots of people do that, suffer through a session, and turn it back on.
- Grainy picture? Add light.
- Weird shadows? Move, add, or remove light. Take the keyboard baffle from above and make it white or black, for one example.
- Etc.

If something is bad, don't reach immediately for a processor. Figure out how to fix the raw signal so that you don't need that processor. And when you set up a rig, look for, dig deep into all the menus, and find the "business meeting" processing (kills music, sound FX, anything other than spoken voice) or "consumer candy" processing (virtual surround, psychoacoustic bass tricks, etc.), whatever it's labelled and wherever it's hidden. Turn all of that off, and *then* build your rig.

If you're only using a handful of processors at most, each of which does a well-understood job that can't be done physically, you're probably okay. Otherwise, you probably have a bad source. Remove the processing, fix the source physically, and start over.

And there are countless stories about people spending hours tweaking the processing, adding this, adding that, tweaking some more, and finally declaring it DONE!......only to find that the bypass button around the whole mess is lightyears better! Don't make that mistake either.