Bug Report Problems while using OBS with Razer Comms in-game overlay

Ryu Makkuro

Yo.

I've been testing OBS and so far I love the quality and performance, however I found a problem with it which is simply quite annoying for me and makes me unable to use the program.
Whenever I'm playing a game with Razer Comms in-game overlay activated (http://www.razerzone.com/comms), the overlay start to "blink", meaning it shows it's enabled in the game, flashes with the chat box and then disappears, just so that it will show it's enabled in the game again and so forth till the end of time. I don't have this problem with other recording software out there.

I'm running v0.613b 32bit version, and this problem first occured in Need For Speed World (yeah, I know, game has a lot of bugs and problems with pretty much everything). Diablo III RoS completely doesn't work, so that's another issue I suppose, but in both cases, when I start recording/streaming with OBS the in-game overlay gets glitchy and either doesn't work, or starts flashing like I mentioned.

I've attached a log and linked a vid that shows the problem. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• 2014-04-14-1220-08.log
    26.2 KB · Views: 46

Ryu Makkuro

Tried that (posted the results there as well) but it still doesn't work, both for 32-bit and 64-bit version. Funny thing is, that the overlay stops working when I start recording and even if I stop recording, it still doesn't work. If the OBS is "just" there, it works perfectly.

Also, I use ENB with NFS World, so maybe that's why it flashes instead of just stopped working. Anyway, another log for this.

Attachments

• 2014-04-14-1458-09.log
    20.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 2014-04-14-1502-39.log
    11.2 KB · Views: 30

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I am aware of it -- overlays generally have problems like this because they also hook the games, it makes the situation difficult to deal with if you also want to capture iwht game capture. There is however a workaround if you would prefer to have the comms overlay active: run the game in a borderless/windowed mode, and use window capture on the game (preferably with aero enabled).

Ryu Makkuro

I always have Aero enabled, since I modded my Windows 8 to look like Windows 7, so it actually takes less resources to run Aero than not xD

As to the workaround, that doesn't suit me at all, since playing on Window mode not only eats more resources but doesn't give the same immersion effect. For now I'll stick to Bandicam until this will be fixed and if I'll have to stream I'll simply disable Razer Comms for that duration.
But thanks for the help :)

Also, what's the situation with Diablo III RoS? Can't even record it at all with the Game Capture.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Programs that create in-game overlays don't currently work with game capture, because they're a conflict. As for the test version of OBS, it doesn't work there either, and there's not much I can do about it until I rewrite game capture for the rewrite.

Last edited:

Krazy

Town drunk
Well, if your game has a Fullscreen Windowed mode (also called Borderless Window or Windowed (Borderless) mode) then you can still basically play in fullscreen and use Window Capture. Most modern games do, and many games that have regular windowed modes can be made to appear fullscreen with a 3rd party tool.

As for D3 RoS, Game Capture should definitely be working, but again, it's probably an overlay that's interfering with the hook.

Ryu Makkuro

No, it doesn't, NFS World is a dying p2w game which has "Devs" only from the name, there hasn't been a single patch for almost a year now, so nothing like that will ever come. Still, I don't mind, I'll just wait.

And as to D3, yes, Razer Comms was the problem. In other words, I'm just gonna wait for this rewrite, for now I can't stream anyway and for recording Bandicam is more than enough for me.