Plugin path under Ubuntu - my problem and what i found out until today.

Qroft

Ok, i am having a lot of trouble in finding the correct path to the plugins folder under Ubuntu.
I have to mention that i am a Linux and OBS noob :)
I tried to install several plugins and some worked out instantly, while others not.
I read in the Docs that there is a new folder structure for plugins, so if you download a plugin, you should probably check that the plugin has been "compiled" or "build" in the way that OBS nees it to be read.

So what i found out from within hours of research is that with this command in the Terminal:
sudo find /home /snap -type d -name obs-studio
i can search for the folder "obs-studio".

As the StreamFX plugin installed itself without a problem, what i did was to use the above command to search for streamFX.
It was found in a folder but not inside what the OBS docs recomend to be (root/.config/obs-studio).

But thanks to this i installed the obs-linuxbrowser plugin without a problem.
To install the "move-transition" plugin i simply copied the unpacked folder into the same foler where the obs-linuxbrowser was found.
But it did not work :(

SO MY MAIN QUESTIONS ARE:

What is the correct folder to nstall the plugins into?
And can someone post in here the paths, depending on if you install OBS via snap, apt or through a ppa ?
For me it looks like that whatever type of install you choose, the plugins folder path is different.

Harold

One thing that needs to be pointed out is that the snap install of OBS is NOT an official package.

If you're using the PPA based install OR a self-compiled install, the "~/.config/obs-studio" path is correct.

RickM

I've run into a similar issue. Ubuntu 22.04.1, OBS Version 29.0.0 installed via flatpack (I had originally installed via snap, but in seeing this thread initially, I uninstalled and reinstalled through the preferred method) - There is no such directory as "~/.config/obs-studio":
1674991322914.png

I did try putting it in ~/.var/app/com.obsproject.Studio/config/obs-studio/plugin_config, but OBS does not recognize it:
1674991414659.png

What am I missing?

RichRichRich

I've run into a similar issue. Ubuntu 22.04.1, OBS Version 29.0.0 installed via flatpack (I had originally installed via snap, but in seeing this thread initially, I uninstalled and reinstalled through the preferred method) - There is no such directory as "~/.config/obs-studio":
View attachment 91158

I did try putting it in ~/.var/app/com.obsproject.Studio/config/obs-studio/plugin_config, but OBS does not recognize it:
View attachment 91159
What am I missing?
Hi Rick, Run the application "flatseal" which is an application that is used to change the enviornment and permissions for Flatpack installed applications. There was an Environment Variable called VST_PATH that was set, but was not set to a valid directory in my system. Once I removed that path variable and rebooted (not sure if i needed to do that or not)... then OBS started looking for plugins in all the right places. I used /lib/vst/ on my Linux Mint computer.