Output OBS audio to Mac speakers

SheepdogSmokey

How can I output the game audio from OBS capture to my on board speakers? I am using a very simple HDMI to USB plug to go direct to the Mac, not a sound board, so when playing (Switch games, so I can't use Switch Bluetooth or headphones on the Switch as it defeats OBS' capture) so I can both broadcast the audio to my stream or video, and hear it?

AaronD

1683131534622.png

• Output goes to the Tracks selection here, and then to the Tracks selection in Settings -> Output
  • Monitor goes to the Monitoring Device in Settings -> Audio

SheepdogSmokey

View attachment 93753
  • Output goes to the Tracks selection here, and then to the Tracks selection in Settings -> Output
  • Monitor goes to the Monitoring Device in Settings -> Audio
I just noticed that I need to change the monitoring device in the main settings, but either my BT headset or Built-In Audio are useless, as neither works. I also cannot get to the mixer you show in the image, and am wondering if it's just Mac that cannot do this, or just my iMac. I am up to date on the OS and OBS, so I'm stumped here.

SheepdogSmokey

View attachment 93819

If you're just talking about the vertical layout, either right-click the empty area in the mixer or click any of the 3-dots buttons for a source:
View attachment 93820

Does another app use them okay?
Yep, all other apps (iTunes, YouTube in Chrome or Mozilla, email notifications, etc) are fine, and here's the really strange bit. IT'S WORKING TODAY. I close OBS completely every time I am done with it, so I am 99.9% sure I've closed it since I changed to Monitor and Output, but when I opened it just now to run a system update so I'd be ready for Tears of the Kingdom, I could hear the audio via my onboard speakers and my BT headset. I have zero clue why it is working now, but I also don't care, apparently it just wanted to make me wait.

Shamless Plug time - next Friday (12 May) will be streaming TOTK as soon as I'm able. I still don't know if it'll be on YouTube (Old Man With A Switch, find Sheepdog Smokey, it's a picture of me as twins in front of the Tx flag as the icon) and go to Channels to find OMWAS, or on Twitch as SheepdogSmokey, but I'll post to the one I'm not going to use that it's the other once I decide. I'm in a meeting in about 5 minutes, but after that I'm planning to test both to see which I prefer.

AaronD

...when I opened it just now to run a system update so I'd be ready for Tears of the Kingdom, I could hear the audio via my onboard speakers and my BT headset. I have zero clue why it is working now, but I also don't care, apparently it just wanted to make me wait.
It's possible that it was a bug that was fixed in that update. But still keep an eye on it. Problems that go away by themselves have a tendency to come back by themselves.

SheepdogSmokey

It's possible that it was a bug that was fixed in that update. But still keep an eye on it. Problems that go away by themselves have a tendency to come back by themselves.
Oh that's an understatement, I spent the last 10 years as an IT support monkey, and I saw too many "oh it just started working" instances that were followed quickly with "IT'S NOT WORKING AGAIN" soon after. I'm hopeful it was just the reboot of the machine, and will pray I at least get one play through of TOTK before I'm back to silent mode, as I'm planning to stream until I've completed the "main task" then just play as I do with BOTW, playing randomly and seeing what I can screw with. If I get that, I can handle silent mode as I go back to record things.