[outdated][offline] DirectDraw (+dx8) capture support

[outdated][offline] DirectDraw (+dx8) capture support

Bl00drav3n

Okay I checked it for myself. First things first: try capturing with hotkey. There might be issues when you try to hook by application. CnC especially is weird, because the actual code is present in game.dat, not in Generals.exe.

Now for the capture: as I suspected it does not work yet with this version. All I get is the mouse cursor (well better than nothing). I will investigate this and I can send you a PM once i fixed the problem, if you want. :)

Bl00drav3n

@tdiddi Could you look into your Windows\system32 or Windows\syswow64 folder and look for a ddraw.dll and d3d8.dll? If you find it, please send them to me, so I can look for the correct function offsets.

Do you want DirectDraw support, or D3D8?

Bl00drav3n

tdiddi you can try out this build: obs-v0.624b-ddraw-1.2.3b.

I only had a ddraw.dll for Windows8, and I have no clue if the offsets are correct, please let me know if it works. (DX8 not supported until I get my hands on a win8 d3d8.dll)

Bl00drav3n

Bl00drav3n updated DirectDraw (+dx8) capture support with a new update entry:

New features and bugfixes

If you watch this thread, I'm terribly sorry for spamming your inbox. :D

Version 1.2.4 features:
  • Windows 8 support for D3D8 gamecapture
  • 16bit and (exotic) 8bit RGB color formats for D3D8 (may be slow, untested)
I implemented some hooks for Win8-DirectDraw, but I'm not sure if I used the right offset values.

Version 1.2.4 also fixes the crash-on-exit bug that occured as you close a previously captured application.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Jouven

Tried and works with Warcraft 3 tft windowed, which it doesn't work by default using the game capture plugin (it records a black screen).

Performance wise is this plugin better than window capture? (that's the option that I use to get obs to capture warcraft 3 tft windowed).

Bl00drav3n

I'm not sure how window capture works, but I doubt that gamecapture is faster, especially if you are using a high screen resolution.

Beanis

I have nothing constructive to say, I just want to say thank you for this. My mates and I were going to record some Unreal Tournament 2004 this weekend, and one hour before the event was starting I discovered that OBS couldn't record it natively because of this DirectX issue. I was scrambling, looking for different renderers for the game, trying different recording software, and even buying the Steam version of the game despite already having the gog.com version. Nothing worked. A mate of mine found this plugin literally the minute before we were supposed to start and it worked right away. Totally saved me. Thank you, thank you!

Bl00drav3n

Icydead

Thank you for this. I do not know how, but It fixed flickering on stream for me while playing Knights of the old republic, which runs in opengl. Interesting :)

midtown96

I have an old game calld Midtown Madness. The game lags if I use hardware mod. If I use software mod, the game doesnt lags but it is not good graphic if I use software mod. I know direct 3d and direct draw is enabled.
Midtown Madness works fine on the menu but it lags when I start a race if I use hardware mod.
I have:
Windows 8.1 64-bit
12 gb ram
Intel core i7-4700HQ CPU 2.40 GHz
GeForce GTX 860M

I am sure, the problem is direct draw on windows 8 becauce the game works fine on windows 7. I have tried all the direct draw fixes from the forum and no one works for the game. Midtown Madness 1 use DirectX 6 and Midtown Madness 2 use DirectX 7. I need to update ddraw.dll so I can play the game without lag. I dont want to downgrade to windows 7. Please help!

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
This plugin is now outdated, since it is built into the main OBS build. Do not use it or download it anymore.

Except I am unable to capture Sacrifice, one of the listed games with OBS still even with it 'built in'. Doesn't even DETECT the game running to be added so.....yeah, any chance of the plug in being redone and to work as I would LOVE to stream this game without NEEDING to go digging into the regedit.