Optimize the Elgato Gaming HD60 S/HD60 Pro for OBS Studio

OBS Studio Optimize the Elgato Gaming HD60 S/HD60 Pro for OBS Studio

Videophile

Elgato
LtRoyalShrimp submitted a new resource:

How to optimize the HD60 Pro in OBS - Tips and tricks and do-nots for the Elgato HD60 Pro in OBS.

Welcome.

In this short guide, I will cover how to best setup the HD60 Pro in OBS, for maximum quality and low latency.

This guide will also includes settings which you should NOT use as they are known to cause issues.

By default, the HD60 Pro will be set to its maximum quality and not much needs to be changed, if at all.

The source of the HD60 Pro is called "Elgato Game Capture HD".
Do not select "Elgato helper device (Unavailable)".

Device property page:
  • Here...

Read more about this resource...

xsiriuz

Problem
PC Streaming use 19% CPU on Desktop.
(HD60 Pro)

OBS + Add Elgato Source + CoD BO3 = ~95% CPU
OBS + OBS Gamecapture + CoD BO3 = ~75% CPU

OBS + Add Elgato Source + Desktop Capture = ~19% CPU
OBS + OBS Monitorcapture + Desktop Capture = ~7% CPU

Tuttuhl

@LtRoyalShrimp Okay, so I have been attempting to stream in 1080p60 (or at least 720p60) for a while now. I am using OBS Studio, an HD60 Pro, I have a 100 mbps upload speed, and a PC rigged with 16GB of RAM, an AMD FX 4.0 ghz processor. I am trying to stream Black Ops III gameplay off of the PlayStation 4.

To the problem: When I have these default settings set up on the HD60 pro I always run into skipping and lag spikes on the video. If I change the elgato configuration and OBS Studio settings to 720p30 with a 3500 bitrate, it looks pristine and works smoothly. I would just like to upgrade to 60 fps if I could because that is what I bought the card for. Thank you in advance for your help, I really appreciate it!

Ant D.

Hey. I got rid of all my problems with the HD60 Pro except for a small delay using OBS Studio. How can I adjust this is OBS Studio?

Videophile

Elgato
http://www.filedropper.com/2016-06-2117-25-09

It's actually got worse. It's skipping now as well even on initial startup. Not sure what I did or what went wrong.
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 220 Processor (2 core CPU)

Released: 2010

ATI Radeon HD 4550

Released: 2008

Im going to say that that's your issue. your hardware simply cannot handle the load from OBS.

The log shows that the encoder drops very few frames, but that it stalls and lags a lot(44%) during the render phase. So yea, you need to upgrade buddy.

Ant D.

Okay. I don't understand. I can run the internal Black Magic Card without problems and record in 720p. The main thing I wanted to do is record in 720p while play in 1080p. Is this not possible either?

ggPeteQ

You're a legend sir! Just wanted to thank you for writing the guide. I was wondering why I couldn't hear the audio from the console my HD60 S was capturing, but your guide covered all the essentials.

Never would've found that Audio Output option if I didn't read your guide.

Quick question out of curiosity: why "Output desktop audio (WaveOut)" instead of "Output Desktop Audio (DirectSound)?"

Can you explain the difference??

Thanks again LT!

Thanks for the guide, LT!

Quick question. I'm running into some trouble with my HD60 Pro. I'm listening to the audio that comes from the HD60 Pro via OBS, but as I listen to it I notice that there's a ever-growing audio desync compared to what I'm getting on my screen. The funny thing is that this audio desync drift doesn't seem to occur when I'm using the Elgato Game Capture HD program.

Any idea? I'm wondering if it's a problem with how OBS handles audio or something.

EDIT: Oh, I've noticed a little oddity. I don't know if this is a problem unique to my setup, but I've noticed that the capture delay drift is way more pronounced if you keep OBS' buffering option set to "Auto-detect". When it's set to either "Enable" or "Disable" this capture delay drift disappears (or rather, it's more or less constant).

EDIT 2: This behavior is incredibly inconsistent... Now it's doing just fine on auto-detect. It's totally on OBS, though. The Game Capture HD software has zero desync issues.

EDIT 3: Correction. It just seems to be happening *faster* with auto-detect. I noticed a quite severe audio desync after several hours of streaming. Interestingly, though, the video was not delayed! So the HDMI audio actually got out of sync with the HDMI video. Very weird.

Last edited:

ShopperKung

Thanks for the guide, LT!

Quick question. I'm running into some trouble with my HD60 Pro. I'm listening to the audio that comes from the HD60 Pro via OBS, but as I listen to it I notice that there's a ever-growing audio desync compared to what I'm getting on my screen. The funny thing is that this audio desync drift doesn't seem to occur when I'm using the Elgato Game Capture HD program.

Any idea? I'm wondering if it's a problem with how OBS handles audio or something.

EDIT: Oh, I've noticed a little oddity. I don't know if this is a problem unique to my setup, but I've noticed that the capture delay drift is way more pronounced if you keep OBS' buffering option set to "Auto-detect". When it's set to either "Enable" or "Disable" this capture delay drift disappears (or rather, it's more or less constant).

EDIT 2: This behavior is incredibly inconsistent... Now it's doing just fine on auto-detect. It's totally on OBS, though. The Game Capture HD software has zero desync issues.

EDIT 3: Correction. It just seems to be happening *faster* with auto-detect. I noticed a quite severe audio desync after several hours of streaming. Interestingly, though, the video was not delayed! So the HDMI audio actually got out of sync with the HDMI video. Very weird.
have the same problem buffering i use "Disable" video look fine audio fine in like 3 hour after that audio when out of sync more and more hope someone know how to fix

Ohem

"Output desktop audio (WaveOut)"

I did this method as well previously, however, it also translates/blends with other scenes. But I found a workaround:

Set the setting back to "Capture audio only" and press Ok > Click on the mixer(cogwheel) > bring up the dropdown menu of monitoring > Choose Monitor and Output and Press Ok.

Go to settings > Advanced > Default monitoring device > Choose your speaker/headphone

Rizary

from my understanding Elgato is needed when you want to stream from your console. Let say I just want to stream my desktop PC (i don't have Playstation4 or so), do i still need Elgato?

Videophile

Elgato
"Output desktop audio (WaveOut)"

I did this method as well previously, however, it also translates/blends with other scenes. But I found a workaround:

Set the setting back to "Capture audio only" and press Ok > Click on the mixer(cogwheel) > bring up the dropdown menu of monitoring > Choose Monitor and Output and Press Ok.

Go to settings > Advanced > Default monitoring device > Choose your speaker/headphone
Yes, that does indeed work. I will update my guide.

Tahlexia

Looking for some help with this guys. I have tried the above and yep can get audio to my headset which matches up with what's playing through OBS but what I am matching on my monitor to play on the audio is delayed for me. how do I get around this?