OBS working great, but GPU usage gradually increases over time

syscrusher

Hello, all. I'm new to streaming and OBS, but I've got the program installed and working great on my system, thanks to some excellent documentation. :) This is a terrific app, and I'm finding its workflow is very close to the way I naturally think.

Although I have some general new-user "How do I ___?" questions, I'm going to post those separately to keep this thread focused on the one actual "issue" I'm having: The game becomes laggy after extended streaming times, and pausing the stream resets this problem.

I've been streaming Fallout 76 off and on for about a week, and although it's well-known this game is chock full o' bugs, this issue occurs only when running OBS -- but nothing in the logs or my searches of documentation or these forums has given me an answer yet. Very simply, everything works great at first, with OBS using only about 3 to 8 percent of my GPU (a Quadro RTX 4000 laptop version), but over time the GPU usage gradually ramps up to about 25% or slightly more, at which point the game's FPS rate drops. It seems to be about an hour of runtime, more or less. According to a friend who is an experienced streamer, my streaming output looks fine, with no significant dropped frames.

System config:
  • Dell Precision 7740 with 64 GB RAM and all NVMe SSD storage, 8-core Intel i9 CPU, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 GPU
  • OBS Studio 64-bit version 25.0.8 running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; all Windows and driver updates applied except as noted below
  • NVIDIA driver is version 432.06, not the absolute latest but the one currently recommended by Dell for this machine. I was strongly advised by experts on the Notebook Review forums (which have a pretty high technical expertise level, in the sections devoted to machines of this calibre) that I should use only Dell's recommended NVIDIA driver and not push it to the latest from NVIDIA's web site.
  • The laptop has an Intel onboard GPU, but I have this disabled in the BIOS settings, so the NVIDIA GPU is the only one in use.
  • Main laptop panel is UHD (4K, 3840x2160); secondary monitor is FHD (2K, 1920x1080)
  • I run the game at full native resolution on the main screen and park OBS on the secondary screen so I can see both at once.
  • OBS is using the NVENC with its default settings for quality ("simple" mode), and I am downscaling the output to 1920x1080 and limiting to 30 FPS.
Problem observations and attempted fixes:
  • The problem is 100% repeatable for me so far, but since I am new to this the number of repeats is small (3 or 4 so far).
  • The first time it happened, I noticed the high GPU usage and exited OBS entirely, which cleared the problem.
  • In more recent occurrences, though, I have found that if I simply stop streaming and/or recording, the problem clears.
  • Restarting OBS, even within less than a minute after having the problem, reliably resets performance back to normal, even if I don't stop the game.
  • System temps are monitored with HWInfo, and they are essentially the same with or without OBS running. I have an audible tone to alert me when the system is close to thermal throttling, and although it does sound off occasionally during the game, OBS has not noticeably increased its frequency of occurrence, and more importantly, the few times the tone does sound off do not correlate to the lag problem.
  • The game has its share of bugs, but laggy performance is generally not one of them for me on this computer.
  • I've used Task Manager to verify that no other applications are consuming significant resources as background tasks.
  • Looking at the OBS logs from a 2-hour session in which the lag occurred and was reset by stop/start streaming, the logs show no memory leaks (which was something I had suspected).
  • The FAQs on this web site, while well-written, don't seem to apply to my situation.
  • The logs show dropped frame rates of around 1% or 2%.
From the FAQ, it sounds as if there's an automated tool to analyze the log files, but I am not seeing that in the app menus where the FAQ says it should be, and I'm not seeing the FAQ-mentioned web based analyzer. I'd be grateful for a link to that, all else aside. :)

Here is the link to my most recent log file replicating the problem: https://obsproject.com/logs/h5ulD2_XqkT6pF7b

Thanks again to the developers for a terrific application. I'm really enjoying using OBS! Thanks also if anyone has other suggestions I should try, for troubleshooting.