Question / Help OBS won't open, process is running

Jonas Moltumyr

Hi

Tried to open OBS today, but the window did not show up.
Its not in my task bar, but the process is running.

Tried to delete the global.ini file in appdata, but did not help.
Have also reinstalled it, but did not work.

Any thoughts would be very appreciated!

Process running
upload_2016-4-25_17-46-28.png

Not showing in taskbar
upload_2016-4-25_17-46-39.png

stevieraedrawn

Alright. Same issue here. Here's my whole history.

Went to upgrade to 0.14.1 (I'm running Windows 7), got some DLL errors during the install. Ended up having errors when I tried to run. I removed it completely, reinstalled into a new folder, and it worked. Then it stopped opening after that. Restarting fixed it once or twice, but not consistently. Reinstalling fixed it once or twice, but not consistently.

I removed it and went back to 0.13.4, but the issue persisted. When I run the software (elevated or regular) the service shows up in task manager, but the software never appears--not even on the taskbar. My webcam never initializes also, so I know it's not running off-screen somewhere.

As per R1CH, I 100% uninstalled Teamviewer to be safe. I also checked the .json file (renamed it, no go) mentioned in Jim's answer linked by EBrito.

Send help.

stevieraedrawn

Another update: I did a full virus removal (found one small piece of malware, but otherwise good), ran all windows updates, etc. I removed Untitled.json which worked temporarily, but now OBS is not opening again.

Bump.

I'm really hoping I don't need to wipe my computer and reinstall my OS. I'd love to try and find other solutions, first.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
If you're able to stop by the live chat I'd like to try and coordinate a remote debugging session.

Marshmallow_Fox

I get this same error. Just installed it, running windows 7, it will show up over and over again in my running processes (memory frozen at whatever it's at) but nothing will open anywhere else.

None of the things mentioned in the topic have changed anything.

Vidiks

I have the same problem in Windows 10. In fact I know I wrote it here somewhere in the support forums but I can't find the related post. It always starts as a background process. I can open it a second time and this time it will open but webcam won't be feeding image to OBS. At this point I have 2 OBS processes running. I can close the first one that didn't work, but that won't fix the webcam for the second.
If however, back at the start, I close the first failed OBS process, and open OBS again after that, it will launch normally no problems, webcam working fine.
Now like I said in the other post, this happens every single time. My current method to open OBS is:
1.- Click the OBS icon - watch the (thinking) blue circle. Nothing happens.
2.- Open Process Manager
3.- Terminate OBS process.
4.- Click OBS again.
5.- OBS is finally opened.
This only occurs the very first time I start OBS after launching the PC.

Which let's face it, it's not an interesting way to start every single time. I reinstalled OBS, problem persisted. reinstalled windows (yes), and problem returned after a couple of days.

Edit: Also, I experienced the same problem with another recording app (not simultaneously with OBS, and no I don't run them together), but they seem to have found a fix in their latest update since it stopped happening for their app (plays.tv)

Last edited:

Vidiks

Also, this last update (0.16.6) suffered from the same problem. At 2/3 of the install process I get an error message saying "the installation was unable to complete - can't write to qt5core"
After trying several times and always getting the same result, finally I figured it out. I had the usual failed process running in the background, despite not really having OBS running. Earlier I open OBS, it failed to launch (as usual) and I forgot to close the failed process. So now when I was trying to install this happened. As soon as I closed the failed process the install went fine. While the error was running it was unable to write to Qt5core.

alleb

I had the same problem, i didnt take the time to read the other ones in depth but for me i just waited a good 20 minutes and it loaded ( a computer restart might fix it aswell ) again im just dropping a quick answer

EBrito

Go to
%appdata%/obs-studio

Edit global.ini

Edit the line with
SysTrayWhenStarted=true

Change true to false:
SysTrayWhenStarted=false

Last edited:

MichielP1807

I've got a similar problem, and there's no line in the golbal.ini that says SysTrayWhenStarted=true.

When I try to open obs it does run a process which I can see in task manager, but there's no system tray icon or task bar icon.

EDIT: I'm also noticing my screen freezes a little when I try to open obs

Has anyone found a solution?

EDIT 2: After restarting my pc and without having any other program open OBS has launched again

Last edited: