Question / Help OBS Will not show up!

GiantFaffle

OLgKmaD.png

I have tried restarting and reinstalling it did not help.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
First, if it somehow got off-monitor (for example if you removed a monitor it was previously saved to be on), try pressing windows key + shift + left to get it to display. (That's something that I need to detect/fix honestly)

If that's not the problem, then did you have a previous configuration you've been using with the program?

If so, try this:
1.) Press ctrl-shift-escape and terminate the program if it's stuck open.
2.) Press windows key + R, paste this in, and press OK: %appdata%\obs-studio\basic\scenes
3.) Move away (to back up) or delete your .json file associated with the scene collection you're using. Usually Untitled.json for most people who don't change scene collections. Actually if these steps work, please send me that file (attach it here on a forum reply or in a private message)
4.) Restart the program and let me know if it works. You may have to re-create your scene data. Again if it works, send me your old .json file so I can analyze it.

Last edited:

GiantFaffle

First, if it somehow got off-monitor (for example if you removed a monitor it was previously saved to be on), try pressing windows key + shift + left to get it to display. (That's something that I need to detect/fix honestly)

If that's not the problem, then did you have a previous configuration you've been using with the program?

If so, try this:
2.) Press windows key + R, paste this in, and press OK: %appdata%\obs-studio\basic\scenes
3.) Move away (to back up) or delete your .json file associated with the scene collection you're using. Usually Untitled.json for most people who don't change scene collections. Actually if these steps work, please send me that file (attach it here on a forum reply or in a private message)
4.) Restart the program and let me know if it works. You may have to re-create your scene data. Again if it works, send me your old .json file so I can analyze it.

(it wound not let me upload so ..)
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...3307&authkey=!AIQ5SGtyfIipRhI&ithint=file,rar

It did not work :(

Also http://pastebin.com/ANngJHNr
BUMP!

Last edited:

Kitsuchan

I've been having this same issue for a while now, changing the name of the folder in %appdata% has worked, though rebuilding my scenes every few days is not worth it anymore. I just want to stream.

However, this solution isn't working anymore. After the last update, I was really excited for alt-cropping, but I blue screened every time I tried to run OBS Studio. I updated my video drivers and now, nothing. It also doesn't play very well with two webcams, though I've managed to work around it until now.

JonDemand

Had exactly the same problem, removing the json file fixed it, attaching it here (renamed from .json to .txt as can't upload .json)

Attachments

• Untitled.txt
    37 KB · Views: 699

Justin Harris

Had the same problem, copied both files and then deleted them from folder and it worked.
Also had to change extension to upload file.

Attachments

• Untitled.txt
    4.8 KB · Views: 357

vondeliusc

You may have to re-create your scene data. Again if it works, send me your old .json file so I can analyze it.
Is there a way to 'repair' the backed up scene? REALLY annoying to have to re-create.
Here is my fail (.json renamed .txt)

Attachments

• Authors_grouping.txt
    44 KB · Views: 67

Dom The TTv

I deleted the the untiled stuff and bam it started workin no lag too! So yeah, it fixed mah problem. : ] Finaly ill make some THIC quality vids.

ZoSar

if it works, send me your old .json file so I can analyze it.
Are you still up for analyzing those files? Because I had the same problem and your solving helped. But I would love to have those scenes back, because it was quite some work in it....

Jonathan Kraai

If so, try this:

I know, never wake up a dead topic, but i got a direct answer with a solution for this problem, that worked in my case.

i followed your steps and OBS was starting again, when i removed (moved away) my scene.json file in %appdata%\obs-studio\basic\scenes.

so i analyzed my json and figured out what the problem in my case was and hope this helps others and can be fixed by the developers (seems to be an easy fix to me)

i had a scene with a slideshow that was importing images from a network drive. When OBS could not access that drive it did not start up.
fix: removed the scene in the .json file (remove the entire block regarding the slideshow). then save.
OBS starts again.

I can image the same happenes with other inaccessible sources like flash drives or deleted sources.

suggestion to @Jim : add a check (and/or timeout) for not accessible resources linked in the JSON file. skip if not accessible and start the app anyways.