OBS won't capture audio any way

zabbidou

Hi, I'm having a big problem for some days. I started using OBS with no problem, default settings, a scene with window capture, to record my online courses.
One day, I paused the recording because there was recess (and I didn't want 10 minutes of silence in the recording). When I came back, there was no audio recorded (I didn't see the bar). I also watched the recording and at the end there wasn't any sound. I don't know when the audio got cut off, but I can check if necessary. To mention, I did this in the past and no problems appeared.

Since then, I tried all ways I could imagine fixing this. I tried unplugging or plugging my second monitor, I tried disabling all audio from settings and then adding it separatedly as a source, I tried window capture, display capture, everything.

I checked in the settings if the sampling rate is correct (it is) and always selected my correct audio source (I have a "ghost" one appearing because my pc for some reason thinks my second monitor has speakers, but it doesn't). I tried selecting all types of Channels (Mono, Stereo etc)

I also tried deleting the whole obs folder from AppData, in an attempt to go back to the defaults which worked for me. They don't now...

I have BitDefender, but checked if it's blocking OBS from accessing anything, but it doesn't show up in my notifications.

Thanks in advance, it would be life saving if OBS started working again...

zabbidou

First deinstall F.... bitdefender its not better than the windows defender you can look block nothing but its blocks in the backgound
It's actually pretty good, it's not too hard on my resources (can't see an impact, but I don't have entry level hardware) and it actually protected me a few times from viruses and windows defender just false positive's everything :D

Harold

Bitdefender actually has a history of being problematic with OBS in general. They were the first antivirus to implement webcam blocking without warning, so we had a week where we were dealing with nothing but bitdefender users unable to use their webcams with obs.

There may be something similar blocking your audio right now.

1) Right-click the speaker icon in the System Tray and select "Sounds".
2) In the "Playback" or "Recording" tabs, right click on the audio device(s) you want to change and select "Properties".
3) Then go to the "Advanced" tab and uncheck both checkboxes.
You may need to do this as well however.

zabbidou

Bitdefender actually has a history of being problematic with OBS in general. They were the first antivirus to implement webcam blocking without warning, so we had a week where we were dealing with nothing but bitdefender users unable to use their webcams with obs.

There may be something similar blocking your audio right now.

You may need to do this as well however.

I did that (for my speakers, because I guess that is the captured device), and also disabled something called Microphone Monitor from Bitdefender (not sure it has any relevance, but just to be on the safe side)
The problem persists...

zabbidou

UPDATE: I accidentaly solved it...
Apparently you should never mute OBS from Volume Mixer...
aka never do this:
1606153101689.png
!!!!!!