Question / Help OBS will crash at random, sometimes my entire PC while it's active

Jesfest

Good day, and thank you for taking the time to look at this issue.
I don't exactly know the cause or reason, but my obs tends to crash here and there. Sometimes even within 10 minutes of each one.
I've also noticed, more when using obs, that my PC will freeze completely, the GPU will have it's activity lights turn off, and the PC will black out, with CPU fans whirring like mad.
I'm wondering if they are connected at all, so I figure that finding out the issue with OBS might put me one step closer to stopping the crashes entirely.
both the logs and crash report are included, and thank you all once again for any assistance you may provide.

Games I notice crash more are astroneer, risk of rain 2, Yakuza Kiwami 2, and overwatch.
using AMD Ryzen 5 2600x and AMD Vega 56 8gb OC edition from MSi, the blower type, and the motherboard is the crosshair VI Hero, if any of that helps.

Attachments

• 2020-01-04 22-54-23.txt
    11 KB · Views: 36
  • Crash 2020-01-04 22-54-08.txt
    150 KB · Views: 30

BluePeer

"that my PC will freeze completely, the GPU will have it's activity lights turn off, and the PC will black out "

Its not a freeze its a "turn off" can forced by bad drivers that hardware takes itself of
or if power wrong (to high or to low) hardware turns off too
if the system defaults crash the lights will not off thats only if its Physical "powered off"

koala

If the complete PC crashes now and then, blanks out and you need to reboot, this is usually some kind of hardware issue. Common causes for hardware issues:
  • overclocking (CPU and/or GPU)
  • overheating
  • defective RAM
  • defective/too weak power supply unit
  • incompatibility between mainboard and GPU
  • incompatibility between mainboard and RAM

Jesfest

If the complete PC crashes now and then, blanks out and you need to reboot, this is usually some kind of hardware issue. Common causes for hardware issues:
  • overclocking (CPU and/or GPU)
  • overheating
  • defective RAM
  • defective/too weak power supply unit
  • incompatibility between mainboard and GPU
  • incompatibility between mainboard and RAM
  • I am at base speeds, so I hope I'm able to rule that out or I'm forced to underclock..
  • Overheating should not be an issue for the GPU, while the CPU is being liquid cooled, but I don't constantly look at the temps
  • I bought new RAM in an attempt to remove this as a possibility, and has still crashed despite it.
  • My original PSU was 1250 Bronze, I am now running a 750 Gold, same time as the new RAM purchase.
  • This one I'm concerned about, more on that later
  • I don't think the RAM is incompatible, latest bios support my RAM,and my slower RAM before was also supported at stock
I thank you for bringing these possibilities up, this allows me to try and narrow down what I need to look at next.
as for my GPU, it requires two 8 pin connectors, as does my motherboard, and my PSU can only fully support one of those.
My GPU did come included with a 6pin to 8pin adapter, so this shouldn't be out of line with what they are expecting, and my PSU definitely over-qualifies otherwise, as my PC takes an estimated 450w
It's possible my motherboard is incompatible though I don't see that listed as a potential anywhere, i still need to keep it in mind. a large amount of my crashing seems linked to this card, as with my older 390x, I wasn't having this trouble. (it did end up dying on me though)

For CPU temperature... maybe? I mean, my computer will crash, somewhat idle or in full use, but when I monitor it during full use, I don't see it breaking any unsafe temp level.

Bad Drivers was mentioned by Bluepeer, and I think they might be on to something. far as I know, my GPU drivers will occasionally fail to boot with the PC, and this tends to happen post-crash. Some files also disappear(Qt5Core.dll is one). I've fully uninstalled/reinstalled the GPU drivers before with the driver uninstaller, and I've flashed my bios in the past as well, but maybe it's something else?

Either way, I was hoping that my logs would help shed some light on the situation, as I tend to crash more with obs running, and obs has been crashing on it's own to boot. I admit that I'm no good at parsing the information in them, so I thank you all once again for offering your assistance.

carlmmii

as for my GPU, it requires two 8 pin connectors, as does my motherboard, and my PSU can only fully support one of those.
My GPU did come included with a 6pin to 8pin adapter, so this shouldn't be out of line with what they are expecting, and my PSU definitely over-qualifies otherwise, as my PC takes an estimated 450w
It's possible my motherboard is incompatible though I don't see that listed as a potential anywhere, i still need to keep it in mind. a large amount of my crashing seems linked to this card, as with my older 390x, I wasn't having this trouble. (it did end up dying on me though)
Your CPU can run off having a single EPS12v. Your GPU cannot.

Also, running a 6pin to 8pin adapter does not allow for the full 150w of power delivery, only the same 75w that a 6pin connector would.

Just take the adapted cable off your GPU, take out your 2nd 12v EPS cable to your CPU, and put your 2nd standard 8pin cable back on your GPU. As I said, your CPU does not need the extra 8pin EPS -- this is only required if you're sending more than 235w continuous, which is not going to happen on your 2600X unless you have a serious overclock going on it.

Jesfest

think that's what's screwing it over?
I'll try that, but then in that scenario, should I swap the 6pin+converter to the motherboard or just not bother adding it at all?
edit: I am a fool and confused my 6 pin issue with the current psu, which does in fact have 2 8 pins going to it. my mistake.

Last edited: