Resource icon

OBS-VirtualCam 2.0.4

catxfish

catxfish submitted a new resource:

OBS-VirtualCam - plugin for output to directshow

This plugin provide a directshow Output as a virtual webcam .

How to use:

1. Selecting Tools -> VirtualCam
2. Press start button and close diailog
3. Open your 3rd party program and choose "OBS-Camera" as a Video input

note : If you observe drop frame in output , try to set more delay in control dialog.

Read more about this resource...

catxfish

Super, but vlc show resolution 1920x1080 (my resolution is 1280x720) and 30 fps (i have set 25 fps).

Yes, The Virtual Camera Resolution will not synchronize with The OBS Setting . For more compatibility , it will rescale the resolution to 3rd party software want to use.

But When I try to use VLC ,I found there is a bug so you can only set 1920x1080 or 640x360 to the virtual Camera, I will fix it in the next release and probably add more support format

BOLL

Not sure if there is any difference, but uh, I first installed the .zip, but couldn't get it to show up. Installed with the installer, no difference. Ran OBS as administrator, then it worked! Closed OBS and ran it again, then it still worked. So perhaps that is something I have to do to register the .dll's or something? It works in any case :) Just that I used it for a VR game and sending via Skype murdered my CPU :D Need a new PC...

obs newbie

Thanks catxfish for this very important and useful plugin. I tried using it in Adobe Connect and finally, I was able to send video from my external camera.

I have a question though. For my video settings for streaming, I use NVENC as encoder and used a bit rate of 332. How do I make VirtualCam use these same settings when exporting video feed to Adobe Connect? What are the default settings (encoder, bit rate, etc.) of VirtualCam?

Again, thank you very much.

screen-shot-of-Output-Settings.jpg

Last edited:

catxfish

Thanks catxfish for this very important and useful plugin. I tried using it in Adobe Connect and finally, I was able to send video from my external camera.

I have a question though. For my video settings for streaming, I use NVENC as encoder and used a bit rate of 332. How do I make VirtualCam use these same settings when exporting video feed to Adobe Connect? What are the default settings (encoder, bit rate, etc.) of VirtualCam?

Again, thank you very much.

View attachment 28728

The VirtualCam sends uncompressed video to other software . It's independent of NVENC-RTMP Output , so you can not set the bitrate . The only thing will change the video quality is output resolution which you can find in the Video section of setting dialog.

obs newbie

The VirtualCam sends uncompressed video to other software . It's independent of NVENC-RTMP Output , so you can not set the bitrate . The only thing will change the video quality is output resolution which you can find in the Video section of setting dialog.

Thanks Catxfish!

When I change the output resolution (in the video section), the processor does the work of scaling the video before sending to the other software?

The audio is also uncompressed when sent to Adobe Connect, right?

catxfish

Thanks Catxfish!

When I change the output resolution (in the video section), the processor does the work of scaling the video before sending to the other software?

The audio is also uncompressed when sent to Adobe Connect, right?

Both of your guess are right :)

RibShark

Thanks for this plugin! Now I won't have to use Dxtory to output my gameplay to DirectShow!

One question: is there a way of having no frame delay? Dxtory allows me to output gameplay to DirectShow with 0 or 1 frame of delay, where as with this plugin the minimum frame delay appears to be 3.

Last edited:

obs newbie

Both of your guess are right :)
Thank you very much catxfish!

There is one more thing I noticed. VirtualCam was working perfectly until I installed Adobe Connect Add-In. I installed Add-in because it's needed to "share my desktop." After installing Adobe Connect Add-in, the video pod became black. But when I uninstalled the Add-in, the video from VirtualCam returned.

Last edited:

catxfish

Thanks for this plugin! Now I won't have to use Dxtory to output my gameplay to DirectShow!

One question: is there a way of having no frame delay? Dxtory allows me to output gameplay to DirectShow with 0 or 1 frame of delay, where as with this plugin the minimum frame delay appears to be 3.

Unfortunately you can't do that in this version (1.0.0).
I have to admit maybe the 3 frame delay restriction is too conservative , I am planning to reduce the restriction to 1 frame after some modification
But you have to understand there is always a delay in transmission ,0 frame delay is quite hard.

catxfish

Thank you very much catxfish!

There is one more thing I noticed. VirtualCam was working perfectly until I installed Adobe Connect Add-In. I installed Add-in because it's needed to "share my desktop." After installing Adobe Connect Add-in, the video pod became black. But when I uninstalled the Add-in, the video from VirtualCam returned.

I am unfamiliar with Adobe Connect , can you give more detail information?

hexer

I have a suggestion:
It should be possible to select not only the whole screen, but also a part of the screen. Which means it shoud be possible to choose and save the settings for the size and position of this window(part of screen).
At the moment the 3rd party software has another resolution and fps then in the settings of the Video properties.

$ I would also donate those changes! :-) $$$

Attachments

• Input_3rdPartySoft.jpg
    Input_3rdPartySoft.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,879
  • Video_Settings.jpg
    Video_Settings.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,881

obs newbie

I am unfamiliar with Adobe Connect , can you give more detail information?
Hi Catxfish. Sorry, I'm not a technical person so I can only explain up to the level I understand. Adobe Connect is a webinar/video conference software which is similar to Goto Meeting and Webex. Adobe Connect is based on flash (when I right click, I can see flash settings). Adobe Connect uses your laptop's built-in webcam to broadcast to other users your video.

Some of the capabilities of Adobe Connect are only possible when you install "Adobe Connect Add-in" (see here). It's a specialized version of flash player. You can use Adobe Connect without Adobe Connect Add-in but functions will be limited.

With your VirtualCam software, Adobe Connect can successfully use OBS as webcam source. However, once I install the Add-In, my video from OBS suddenly turns to black. Now, when I choose my laptop's camera as webcam source, I can see my video without any problem.

Thank you very much, Catxfish :) God bless!

catxfish

I have a suggestion:
It should be possible to select not only the whole screen, but also a part of the screen. Which means it shoud be possible to choose and save the settings for the size and position of this window(part of screen).
At the moment the 3rd party software has another resolution and fps then in the settings of the Video properties.

$ I would also donate those changes! :-) $$$

I want to explain the camera resolution first. The virtual camera include rescale function for the compatibility .
In the version 1.0.0 , if you run obs and active virtual output before you open the 3rd party software, the default resolution will same as OBS,
but if you open the 3rd party software first , the default resolution will be 1920x1080. They won't always synchronize
I know it is a little inconvenient , but there are some technical restriction when using directshow.

And I think what you talk about the size and position of the window might be a crop function right?
It's a good suggestion, I will consider that . Thanks for your sharing

catxfish

Hi Catxfish. Sorry, I'm not a technical person so I can only explain up to the level I understand. Adobe Connect is a webinar/video conference software which is similar to Goto Meeting and Webex. Adobe Connect is based on flash (when I right click, I can see flash settings). Adobe Connect uses your laptop's built-in webcam to broadcast to other users your video.

Some of the capabilities of Adobe Connect are only possible when you install "Adobe Connect Add-in" (see here). It's a specialized version of flash player. You can use Adobe Connect without Adobe Connect Add-in but functions will be limited.

With your VirtualCam software, Adobe Connect can successfully use OBS as webcam source. However, once I install the Add-In, my video from OBS suddenly turns to black. Now, when I choose my laptop's camera as webcam source, I can see my video without any problem.

Thank you very much, Catxfish :) God bless!
I have tried Adobe Connect and got same situation at my windows 7 PC , but my windows10 laptop works fine.
I don't know what is the problem in this moment, but I will try to figure it out later.
Thanks for your information.

obs newbie

I have tried Adobe Connect and got same situation at my windows 7 PC , but my windows10 laptop works fine.
I don't know what is the problem in this moment, but I will try to figure it out later.
Thanks for your information.
Additional info: I'm using Windows 10 Home

E.K.G

Great plugin and thanks for the source code!

Is there any instruction for compiling the code? Get stuck in VS 2015 with some link errors:
Error LNK2001 unresolved external symbol __imp___vsnprintf obs-virtualsource E:\project\c\obs-virtual-cam\build\src\virtual-source\strmbasd.lib(dllsetup.obj) 1
Error LNK2019 unresolved external symbol _obs_frontend_push_ui_translation referenced in function _obs_module_load obs-virtualoutput E:\project\c\obs-virtual-cam\build\src\virtual-output\virtual_output.obj 1