Resource icon

OBS-VirtualCam 2.0.4

Ryuno

How can the virtual webcam be made visible to other applications?

I found a solution for the crashing issue. The OBS-resolution had been automatically set to 4K because I have a 4K-monitor. Setting it to 1920x1080 stopped the crashing. Thank you for the idea to check the resolution. It seems the virtual webcam cannot handle 4K.

Now I would like to use the virtual webcam as a camera in other applications such as Skype.

I am getting three scenarios:
1. Skype is not even recognizing the OBS virtual webcam as a webcam. It just says that no camera can be found.
2. The website I want to stream the OBS virtual webcam to (nightskiesnetwork.ca), recognizes the OBS virtual webcam as a source but does not show an image. The website does not need any special software for streaming, just a source in the shape of a webcam or a screen capture software such as Webcammax, Manycam or Splitcam. It is flash-based. Another website, which I also want to stream to and which is not flash based (nightskiesnetwork.com), does not recognize the OBS camera as a webcam, just like Skype.
3. Webcammax, Manycam and Splitcam all both recognize the OBS virtual webcam and show an image.

Any idea how to make e.g. Skype or the two streaming websites mentioned above see the OBS camera and its image?

catxfish

How can the virtual webcam be made visible to other applications?

I found a solution for the crashing issue. The OBS-resolution had been automatically set to 4K because I have a 4K-monitor. Setting it to 1920x1080 stopped the crashing. Thank you for the idea to check the resolution. It seems the virtual webcam cannot handle 4K.

Now I would like to use the virtual webcam as a camera in other applications such as Skype.

I am getting three scenarios:
1. Skype is not even recognizing the OBS virtual webcam as a webcam. It just says that no camera can be found.
2. The website I want to stream the OBS virtual webcam to (nightskiesnetwork.ca), recognizes the OBS virtual webcam as a source but does not show an image. The website does not need any special software for streaming, just a source in the shape of a webcam or a screen capture software such as Webcammax, Manycam or Splitcam. It is flash-based. Another website, which I also want to stream to and which is not flash based (nightskiesnetwork.com), does not recognize the OBS camera as a webcam, just like Skype.
3. Webcammax, Manycam and Splitcam all both recognize the OBS virtual webcam and show an image.

Any idea how to make e.g. Skype or the two streaming websites mentioned above see the OBS camera and its image?

OK, I will fix 4k issue next version.
Do you use zip file to install this plugin? If so, you have to use command window to register both 32bit & 64bit webcam source

**regsvr32 C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\bin\32bit\obs-virtualsource.dll
**regsvr32 C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs-virtualsource.dll

Some software use 32bit-version and some use 64bit version
You can check register success or not by using OBS itself. Try to add a video source.
C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\bin\32bit\obs.exe use 32bit camera
C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs.exe use 64bit camera

Ryuno

To install the virtual webcam I had used the installer. But I looked at the addresses C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs-virtualsource.dll and C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs-virtualsource.dll. The dll-files were not there. I pasted them there by hand, then ran the two registry commands, but received an error message: "The module C:/Program failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files. The specified module could not be found."
Skype can still not see the virtual webcam.

catxfish

To install the virtual webcam I had used the installer. But I looked at the addresses C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs-virtualsource.dll and C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs-virtualsource.dll. The dll-files were not there. I pasted them there by hand, then ran the two registry commands, but received an error message: "The module C:/Program failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files. The specified module could not be found."
Skype can still not see the virtual webcam.

My bad! need to use double quotes in path.
It should be
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\bin\32bit\obs-virtualsource.dll"
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs-virtualsource.dll"

You should also aware these two things.
1. You need to run cmd as administrator ( Search cmd program and right click to choose run as administrator).
2. These two virtualsource.dll have same name but they are diffreent.

But I am still confuse why installer can't work normally.
Is this possible any Antivirus or other softwares block them?

Danaz

Wow this works great. I can't thank you enough for this. I don't like fish much but,big hug to you,[[[[[catxfish]]]]]

Kreuzer

My bad! need to use double quotes in path.
It should be
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\bin\32bit\obs-virtualsource.dll"
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs-virtualsource.dll"

You should also aware these two things.
1. You need to run cmd as administrator ( Search cmd program and right click to choose run as administrator).
2. These two virtualsource.dll have same name but they are diffreent.

But I am still confuse why installer can't work normally.
Is this possible any Antivirus or other softwares block them?

I'm having a similar issue, but I tried to "open" the DLL with the regsvr32 and got this error message instead. (Picture included)

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 1,708

tt2468

Hey catxfish,

Thanks a ton for making this plugin. For over a year now I have been searching for some kind of plugin to allow outputting to more standards. It's nice to see that finally someone has stepped up to the task. I have a question and a suggestion:

Question: Does this plugin support audio? (Sorry if it's obvious. I couldn't find anything)

Suggestion: Please add the ability to output to blackmagic monitor cards. I have one and it would truly be amazing to be able to output the program audio/video directly to the monitor card. It is my understanding that the mini monitor/decklink monitor cards use directshow to send video.

Thanks for all the work!

Wätzold Plaum

Hi, I tried to install the plugin on Windows 10 64 bit. Neither the installer nor the manual installation worked. I tried it as administrator. But the registration of the dlls failed in any cases. regsvr32 told me that it couldn`t find the dll or it was damaged. But the path was correct and i used "..." for the path. The installer (run also as administrator) told me "Unable to register the DLL/OCX" RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3"

What could be the reason?

Wätzold Plaum

I made it. The installer doesnt work, but the zip file has to be extracted in to the very same folders as in the obs folder. There are four DLLs overall. Will there be a driver for Mac as well?

OBSnewby

First of all, really thanks for your virtual cam, it works great!
Im having trouble routing my desktop audio source to skype. I need to play a song on windows media player and send it to skype... obs audio desktop is getting it, for recordings or streamings...but skype it is not... how to make skype listen it too? Is there a VIRTUAL AUDIO for skype?
im on windows 7 and obs latest version
thanks!!!

Last edited:

catxfish

Hey catxfish,

Thanks a ton for making this plugin. For over a year now I have been searching for some kind of plugin to allow outputting to more standards. It's nice to see that finally someone has stepped up to the task. I have a question and a suggestion:

Question: Does this plugin support audio? (Sorry if it's obvious. I couldn't find anything)

Suggestion: Please add the ability to output to blackmagic monitor cards. I have one and it would truly be amazing to be able to output the program audio/video directly to the monitor card. It is my understanding that the mini monitor/decklink monitor cards use directshow to send video.

Thanks for all the work!

It does support directshow audio, but unfortunately most software treat directshow video as a webcam but not treat directshow audio as a microphone.
In order to achieve the goal to simulate a virtual microphone needs to write a real driver not only a directshow interface.
It's undergoing but it still a prototype , needs more time to accomplish .

For the blackmagic issue , they do use directshow render to send video.
But directshow render is not same as directshow source which is implement by this project , so this feature is not compatible with this project.

catxfish

I made it. The installer doesnt work, but the zip file has to be extracted in to the very same folders as in the obs folder. There are four DLLs overall. Will there be a driver for Mac as well?
Since it's a side project , I don't have appropriate device and enough time to accomplish cross-platform version.
I hope someone can help to do that because I have been asked several times.

catxfish

First of all, really thanks for your virtual cam, it works great!
Im having trouble routing my desktop audio source to skype. I need to play a song on windows media player and send it to skype... obs audio desktop is getting it, for recordings or streamings...but skype it is not... how to make skype listen it too? Is there a VIRTUAL AUDIO for skype?
im on windows 7 and obs latest version
thanks!!!
I am sorry , This project do not provide virtual microphone for now.
You can not see virtual audio in skype is absolutely normal because directshow audio can not be recognized as microphone.

tt2468

"But directshow render is not same as directshow source which is implement by this project , so this feature is not compatible with this project."

Theoretically couldn't I use GrphEdit to do it myself?

catxfish

"But directshow render is not same as directshow source which is implement by this project , so this feature is not compatible with this project."

Theoretically couldn't I use GrphEdit to do it myself?

Theoretically you can .But I am not sure if it can connect . As far as I know, blackmagic card need to set specific format due to the SDI reason .
I don't have any balckmagic capture device , so I can't tell what the format is.

tt2468

Theoretically you can .But I am not sure if it can connect . As far as I know, blackmagic card need to set specific format due to the SDI reason .
I don't have any balckmagic capture device , so I can't tell what the format is.

https://youtu.be/6MBEBNpINgk
Holy shit it actually works. It's a super proof of concept, but the fact that I was able to get real video out of it is amazing. Still trying to get audio working though...

EDIT: Nevermind, got it working by simply routing the obs-audio capture source to an audio renderer (output device) This stuff is fun man!

OBSnewby

I am sorry , This project do not provide virtual microphone for now.
You can not see virtual audio in skype is absolutely normal because directshow audio can not be recognized as microphone.
Oh, thanks. Do you know if there is a workaround to send desktop audo to skype (ie. another plugin, etc)?
thanks!

NekoMina

Oh, thanks. Do you know if there is a workaround to send desktop audo to skype (ie. another plugin, etc)?
thanks!
You can always go to your audio devices in Windows, and enable the "Stereo Mix" option under the Recording tab. By default, it is hidden. This will be an output device which captures all sound going through the PC. You can set it as Skype's mic.