Question / Help OBS VirtualCam not working with Zoom

cbranje

Hi There

I have VirtualCam 2.0.4 installed and its not working with Zoom right now. It lists the virtual cameras but when I try and activate on zoom I get a "Failed to start the video please select another video camera."

bradtem

I am getting the same problem. Virtualcam working in skype desktop and hangout, and working on a very similar laptop I installed on last week, just not working in zoom, on a laptop with a fresh install of windows 10, obs, virtualcam and zoom. In fact, I set up this laptop to be a studio station with obs and zoom, and it's annoying that it works on my other laptop but not on this freshly installed one!

bradtem

Further update -- I notice that the version of zoom that is failing is the latest, and it's working with a slightly older one. So they have a bug or changed something in a way to not be complaint.

bradtem

Yes, I can now confirm it works with an older Zoom (4.6.7) but not with the latest release. Downgrade and it will work. However, since Zoom is a super popular video platform right now, this is a high priority bug, either to tell Zoom what they are doing wrong, or update virtualcam to fit with their changes if you can't get them to fix something they broke.

jhernand8910

The latest version of Zoom seems to try and do DLL verification despite running out of a folder any application can write to. You can use this patch to disable the checks which are blocking obs-virtualcam from loading (worst case scenario you need to reinstall Zoom, use at your own risk etc).

this worked thank you so much I was going insane trying to figure this out! only downside is now i am not able to screen share i get error code 105035 screen sharing has failed to start.

Syborg

Hi, this did not work for me on the latest version of zoom. I resorted to an older version but there I had the issue of auto-update. I resolved that as follows:
1. Uninstall Zoom
2. Download Zoom 4.5.3372.0908 MSI file (http://d11yldzmag5yn.cloudfront.net/prod/4.5.3372.0908/ZoomInstallerFull.msi)
4. Go to command prompt
5. Type in
msiexec /package *path to folder containing downloaded MSI*/ZoomInstallerFull.msi /lex zoommsi.log ZoomAutoUpdate="false"
6. Then finally after this install is complete type:
msiexec /i *path to folder containing downloaded MSI*/ZoomInstallerFull.msi /norestart MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL=”Disable” ZoomAutoUpdate="false"

Now you should have an install that doesn't auto-update XD
Note that * is not included in the path, it just indicates that you need to substitute your own path

SeckendorffLuck

The latest version of Zoom seems to try and do DLL verification despite running out of a folder any application can write to. You can use this patch to disable the checks which are blocking obs-virtualcam from loading (worst case scenario you need to reinstall Zoom, use at your own risk etc).

It worked perfectly for me, I ran it while zoom was open idk if that changes anything. but the same as the guy before me, screen sharing no longer works, although I dont use it

JAPH1997

Hi, this did not work for me on the latest version of zoom. I resorted to an older version but there I had the issue of auto-update. I resolved that as follows:
1. Uninstall Zoom
2. Download Zoom 4.5.3372.0908 MSI file (http://d11yldzmag5yn.cloudfront.net/prod/4.5.3372.0908/ZoomInstallerFull.msi)
4. Go to command prompt
5. Type in
msiexec /package *path to folder containing downloaded MSI*/ZoomInstallerFull.msi /lex zoommsi.log ZoomAutoUpdate="false"
6. Then finally after this install is complete type:
msiexec /i *path to folder containing downloaded MSI*/ZoomInstallerFull.msi /norestart MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL=”Disable” ZoomAutoUpdate="false"

Now you should have an install that doesn't auto-update XD
Note that * is not included in the path, it just indicates that you need to substitute your own path
Hi Guys, i make a little setup with all this commands... enjoy
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2mysht06mb1fn0/ZoomOldInstallerFull.exe?dl=1

LawnD4rt

If anyone has the ability to send direct feedback to Zoom. That would be great. I would prefer not to downgrade because I need screen share. And the first work around did not work for me.

toucano

Would it help if the virtualcam dll was signed? What would be needed for that to happen?

If it's a matter of paying for a code signing cert, I'd be happy to chip in.

btp

Just echoing that I would really appreciate zoom support for this. OBS has been invaluable in teaching my now online classes, but I'm stuck using hangouts because of this error. (for what it is worth, I submitted a zoom support ticket). I'll be trying some of the suggestions here. Thanks everyone!

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Zoom are the ones blocking it from loading, nothing we can do on our side. If you have a paid plan I suggest contacting Zoom support with your concern.

koala

As explanation: it's not harassment they do. I guess Zoom blocks virtual webcam devices, because malicious trolling people are misusing these to feed inappropriate contents to unsuspecting conferences. This is called "zoom bombing". Instead of building solid security around their meetings, they are trying to block a symptom of an insufficient design. Zoom seems to be caught off guard for the sudden high demand due to the corona crises, as their lacking security becomes apparent.
Don't be angry with Zoom due to the blocking, be angry with Zoom due to their bad design with lacking security.

Dontech

Is there a way to uninstall this patch after testing it?

babanicus

Ok. The best answer right now is the use of ndi tools (https://ndi.tv/tools/ - is free but not open source) and the obs plug in for ndi (https://github.com/Palakis/obs-ndi/releases/tag/4.7.1). From the ndi tools you need only the ndi virtual imput. After you instal the ndi plugin, from tools/ndi output setings you activate main output (default is obs). Then from the ndi virtual output (you have to right click on it in the task bar), you activate obs (is under your computer name and then obs). Zoom will then see a "newtek ndi video" as a video source. It works with the last zoom. Is more complicated but until the virtual cam plugin works again, is a nice workaround to have.

Ryszard

I have send info to zoom on my customer support chat. 176'th on the list and waiting. They maybe not working at the moment. For those of you that need background at once - there is bacground option in zoom, with green screen option.

Ryszard

Good news. Zoom answered: "yes just checked, we are aware of the issue, our engineering team is currently working to get it fixed." and "if possible we want to solve it by today but it may take sometime to find the root cause, once we know it , it will be fixed. hopefully over the weekend. "if possible we want to solve it by today but it may take sometime to find the root cause, once we know it , it will be fixed. hopefully over the weekend."