Bug Report OBS Virtual Cam output is blury and pixelish

fabiopobrazil

doing the "share screen" option as indicated with "Decoz.mcl" does indeed improve the result, BUT the framerate for that is quite low, so when displaying my camera view alongside a screen capture, it doesn't look good.

Exactly the same issue here. Though image quality has definitely improved, frame rate is too low and causes video to be laggy, especially if sharing video content.

Rhythmhead

I have found a pretty good work around for anyone still experiencing this problem. Basically you need to send NDI out of OBS and then receive the feed in the NewTek NDI video monitor app. Then screen share that app window. I am actually amazed at the quality and frame rate. Everything looks exactly as it should. Hope this helps.

fabiopobrazil

I have found a pretty good work around for anyone still experiencing this problem. Basically you need to send NDI out of OBS and then receive the feed in the NewTek NDI video monitor app. Then screen share that app window. I am actually amazed at the quality and frame rate. Everything looks exactly as it should. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your suggestion! I've tried that but didn't see much of a difference to the frame rate in comparison to using Zoom's "display content from 2nd camera" feature. Both alternatives look equally sharp to me. I guess it might have something to do with my internet bandwidth, I don't know.

no_rules

I found a temporary solution.
In OBS start 'Window Projector' (Preview). Maximize this window, RMB and select fullscreen (you have to keep this running in fullscreen in the background).
In Teams, start sharing and select the 'Window Projector (Preview)' window.
Still have to test how this holds up on the recieving end.

Fals2000

I believe the answer is in this screenshot of Zoom video settings. And I think most VC applications are the same.. So until stuff in the screenshot changes, no hope..

Attachments

• 20200901_201614.jpg
    20200901_201614.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,086
  • Screenshot_20200901-200104_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200901-200104_Chrome.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 1,069

creativemastersjm

I'm starting to think is the same for everyone but nobody seems to use for desktop/text sharing?
Same bad quality resolution with NDI plugin and Virtual Input.

Hello, i think i may have found a solution to this issue. I set zoom to share screen using a second camera and selected the NDI source as that 2nd camera. The result is just as good as a zoom native share screen and 100% better than the webcam from NDI source. Additionally in using NDI through zooms share screen feature, allows that video to now become priority for your zoom meeting members.

There is one draw back, and that is the share screen video has now become full screen and refuses to be minimized.

Luckily i found a quick work around. Assuming you are using windows 10. Add a second desktop, activate the zoom share screen, then switch to the next desktop.

WALA! problem solved. enjoy full HD NDI video source from OBS to zoom via zoom share screen (second camera).

barnapeter

I have one problem with using 2ND camera when sharing a video there are some lagging\delays in the video so it is still not the best

3sls

Has anyone tried the new OBS 26 beta to see if the quality improves?

Like everyone else, I am not satisfied with OBS -> virtualcam -> Zoom versus Zoom's screen share directly quality

I have also had difficulty in getting NDI to work with Zoom - the video freezes after the first frame when I start it up

matthewcrews

I am having the same issue. I have tried adjusting every setting and it is still unusable blurry for any text at any resolution. I would love to hear how to resolve this.

3sls

Zoom is currently throttling video to 640 x 480 - but not screen share, which is still 1080p. So I don't think this is a OBS virtual cam problem, the problem is to trick Zoom to not throttle.

MikeSharp01

I have found a fix that works well but has two slight drawbacks. I just share the actual OBS screen in teams / Zoom this allows me to get better screen output resolution but with reduced frame rate and it does actually show the bottom controls of the window but if I set the scenes up I don't need to interact with the share and the windows & camera's being drawn into OBS come out crisply on the teams recording - try it and see what you think.

3sls

Awesome trick MikeSharp01 - looking good so far
My GPU is running hot from Zoom screen sharing but whatever

babunera

Im willing to know too

Has anyone tried the new OBS 26 beta to see if the quality improves?

Like everyone else, I am not satisfied with OBS -> virtualcam -> Zoom versus Zoom's screen share directly quality

I have also had difficulty in getting NDI to work with Zoom - the video freezes after the first frame when I start it up

3sls

I tried the new OBS camera and compared to to Virtual Cam - results seem similar to me
I think the issue unfortunately is server side with Zoom throttling
Using screen share over your OBS feed seems like the best option to overcome the problem so far

Mentat

Read this thread with interest as I was initially having issues with fuzzy images. On latest version of OBS, Virtual cam and Virtual Audio drivers installed. y2020 motherboard/CPU. No GPU or sound cards installed, Win10.

After a lot of testing and exploring, I found the following issues:
- cameras which normally run with their own software will look worse when run directly into OBS. This is probably due to low quality parts that the camera software has been programmed to compensate for. Run the software, and have OBS capture a window the same size as your canvas. We have a Lumens document camera, made a massive difference.
- Scaling can result in blurry text/images. Make sure that the window capture is exactly the same size/pixels as your OBS canvas.
- Zoom has 2 sending modes; Video and Screen Share. Video natively sends at 360p, which is going to look fuzzy no matter what. If your paid Zoom plan (Pro or Enterprise) has 720p or 1080p enabled (plan administrator must also turn it on), then you can send at higher resolutions. Recommend making the canvas in OBS the same size as the output resolution of Zoom.
For Screen Share, Zoom does not seem to limit resolution much, I have seen it send well over 1080p on the non-pro/enterprise service. However, it also seems to decouple your audio and webcam from the screen share, and I have seen it do as little as 8 fps. You cannot cheat it to send high def video and expect good results. If that is what you want, you will have to pay for it. FWIW, Google Meet can send video on their non-paid version at 720p.

From all my testing, I feel that OBS is accurately doing everything I ask it too, but that doesn't guarantee the interfaces with OBS are perfect. My conclusion is that OBS is helping me diagnose the software/hardware hurdles of my sources/destinations. It's not an answer per se, but is does reduce the trouble shooting you have to do.

Good luck.
/Mentat

mrbeginner

I would really like to try and find an answer too.

If I use the OBS virtual camera and share a screen (via a scene), the video quality in Teams is very blurry, however the underlying frame rate remains OK, i.e. without jumping or missing frames

poor quality - via virtual cam.jpg

If I share my screen in Teams - rather than use OSB virtual camera - the "image" quality is perfect, however if I play video on the shared screen the lag is awful with a huge number of missed frames.

good qulaity via screen share.jpg

marcelosabadin

buenas noches,yo utilizo la virtual cam para integrarla a zoom y tengo el mismo problema falta de definicion,y hago captura de ventana de pdf y quiero mostrarlo desde la virtual cam a zoom es de muy muy mala la calidad de video,si alguien tiene una solucion se lo agradezco.