OBS virtual cam on Linux.

Is there a way to use the OBS virtual cam on Linux? On other installations, I usually see a button on the right that allows you to turn on the virtual cam, but on my Linux installation, the option is not appearing. Is the virtual cam not on Linux or is there something else that I must do?

cash_flagg

Looks like version OBS Studio 26.1 Release Candidate 1 has this feature built in, though not sure if you still need this plugin code or not, since I have not tried this release.

greg23

The current Linux release is 26.1.1 and no, it does not have the VirtualCam. I am curious to find out if v4l2sink will work with Discord. I will try as soon as I've got some time.

Profejuca

You have to install v4l2loopback-dkms to have the virtual cam option (the same is required for sink) in 26.1.

obsnewnoob

With 26.1.1, it does have the virtual cam feature, but you need to apt install v4l2loopback-dkms (and then possibly quit obs and reload it)

juan0172

Good afternoon. Yes, after install dkms, virtual camera button appears, but, it's not posible run that virtual camera, even, in console, shows a warning that inform. Still read about....

buggydad

Strange bug: I'm on OBS 25.1.1 and can start Virtual Camera into Zoom (v 5.5.4). Other people in Zoom can view my Virtual Camera but it is NOT being displayed in Zoom at all for me. I just get a black screen instead. Thoughts?

buggydad

Strange bug: I'm on OBS 25.1.1 and can start Virtual Camera into Zoom (v 5.5.4). Other people in Zoom can view my Virtual Camera but it is NOT being displayed in Zoom at all for me. I just get a black screen instead. Thoughts?
Never mind. It just started working. No idea why but all's well that ends well.

OBS 26.1.1 here, on Ubuntu 20.04, nvidia drivers, software encoding (x264), flatpak based install.
I've installed v4l2loopback-dkms, but no Virtual Camera option added.
Any ideas? Am I missing some additional package or configuration?

Last edited:
I was an easy fix. I've uninstalled OBS from flatpak and installed it from ppa. It works now.

Code:
flatpak remove com.obsproject.Studio
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:obsproject/obs-studio
sudo apt install obs-studio

Metabob

Latest OBS, Mint 20.1 (4.8.6), Kernel 5.4.0-70, NVIDIA 460.39 Drivers

I'm experiencing a weird issue: a couple of weeks ago I finally managed to get OBS working properly, without weird interface glitch and including virtualcam...

Today I wanted to use it and had to realize that the virtualcam option is missing. For some reason it is just gone.

I have tried re-installing OBS and rebooting but the button didn't come back.

Has some one an idea how I can find out why it went missing?

Thanks!

Cheers

Metabob

Now I have re-installed everything and virtual cam is back, but so is the weird display glitch.
Obs only shows everything as it should as long as I don't have my second monitor connected. Otherwise it makes super weird stuff. Probably because of the high-dpi scaling freature that I need to use in order to be able to read stuff on my my 165ppi displays.
Bildschirmfoto vom 2021-04-19 11-29-27.png

Tuna

Looks like you run a Wayland session. You will need OBS Studio v27 for that support. Else run it as a XWayland session or login in you system via classic/X11 session.

liekendeeler

Hi, I'm new with OBS and wanna use it together with ZOOM.
I have the XWayland system running under Debian, where to get the v27?
Thanks

jukjukjuk

Hi
My virtual cam is also lost at the moment.
I'm on debian buster, amd64.
I got it to work yesterday, after updating the debian generic Kernel to 5.10.0-6-amd64 and reinstalling it from the ftp.de.debian.org mirror, so I got the obs-studio v26.1.2.
After that I wanted to try also the liquorix kernel, which didn't functions out of the box. So I just wanted to deleted some old kernels, but accidently removed also the fresh installed gerneric kernel mentioned above. Now I reinstalled it - but the virtual camera is lost.
The v4l2loopback-dkms package is up to date.
What could be the Problem?