Question / Help OBS Studio Preview & Stream Choppy

Overflow

UPDATE: New test. I have done a new Windows 10 fresh installation, i have installed only windows updates and latest nvidia drivers. Fresh OBS installation and... problem still here. I have even tried with windows capture and desktop capture instead of game capture but the problem still remain.. this problem seems to be unfixable.

BK-Morpheus

Your info, that even shadowplay records stutter, definitely sounds strange, as shadowplay works very different to OBS and usually will record very smooth footage.
Could be the windows related problem with multi monitors and at least one panel with more than 60Hz (this problem would disappear, after disconnecting the second monitor) or maybe even a thermal problem, where CPU or GPU reduces clockspeed.

Overflow

Your info, that even shadowplay records stutter, definitely sounds strange, as shadowplay works very different to OBS and usually will record very smooth footage.
Could be the windows related problem with multi monitors and at least one panel with more than 60Hz (this problem would disappear, after disconnecting the second monitor) or maybe even a thermal problem, where CPU or GPU reduces clockspeed.
... i have the same monitors with same setting, both at 60hz (already checked) both connected with DisplayPort. GPU and CPU temps are fine. I have Noctua NH-D15 for my Ryzen 7 2700x (not overclocked) and i have Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070. CPU never go above 65° and GPU never go above 70°. I can try OBS with only one monitor connected and record a short gameplay.

BK-Morpheus

I'm out of ideas...fresh windows installation and yet shadowplay is recording very stuttery videos.
I hope it's not just the media payer software :-)
Just to check...maybe play the recording with VLC and Media Player Classic HC or upload the file some where for us to check.

Overflow

I'm out of ideas...fresh windows installation and yet shadowplay is recording very stuttery videos.
I hope it's not just the media payer software :-)
Just to check...maybe play the recording with VLC and Media Player Classic HC.
No i have tried directly on twitch. I did a stream on twitch with shadowplay and was stuttering as hell... so can't be my media player. I saw that stream even on other browser and PCs.

BK-Morpheus

Now, that this is a fresh install, maybe just link us the twitch clip and the new log file.
Maybe there is some thing new to see in the log.

Overflow

Now, that this is a fresh install, maybe just link us the twitch clip and the new log file.
Maybe there is some thing new to see in the log.
i will try to do a new recording with new log and i will link the recording here after have it uploaded somewhere.

Overflow

Hi, news here... idk if this have fixed my problem or is only a coincidence. I noticed obs goes much better now, i have swapped from GTX 1070 to RTX 2070 and boom, obs now is really smooth in the preview window and on live streaming too. It's a coincidence? Idk... oh and i didn't changed nothing on obs settings, still using x264.

Narcogen

If both OBS and Shadowplay recorded poorly with your 1070 and work fine with 2070, then perhaps the problem was with your 1070 or its drivers.

Overflow

If both OBS and Shadowplay recorded poorly with your 1070 and work fine with 2070, then perhaps the problem was with your 1070 or its drivers.
But the 1070 worked ok with games and everything else.. i have to try the 2070 with Shadowplay and i didn't have changed the driver i dind't have formatted the pc.. nothing changed about the GPU. I will try shadowplay and i will let you know.

Overflow

Ok. Now all my problems seems to be fixed after the swap from GTX 1070 to RTX 2070. OBS Studio Preview Windows is smooth and the live streaming too. Shadowplay works fine, smooth. I really don't know why i had that problems with the GTX 1070, because that GPU worked well all the times in the past month with games and obs.

Hopefully this isn't archived yet, but I found something interesting about the current version of OBS. I use a GTX 1060 3GB to record with and is using Windows 10 20H2 Pro for Workstations and the latest video driver. The stuttering occurs either immediately or about 5 minutes into a recording.

I took on a different best practice with the NVIDIA cards as a cluster of features are now added. As a best practice, I recommend the following:
-Turn off Threaded Optimizations (Globally)
-Turn off CUDA (Globally)
-Turn off Low Latency Mode (Globally)
-If you use G-Sync, change the application and requested states to Fixed Refresh Rate (Globally)

Select the OBS profile (if not, then add it) and then turn on the above features. You can't even record without CUDA on OBS, for example.

-Use the Nvidia Profile Inspector (google it or look for Orbmu2K's github for the latest) and find the OBS Studio profile. In the section called "Other", you will see CUDA P2 state. NVIDIA added this back in the day to put some power saving on the memory clocks to CUDA. You know that power saving is a must these days, so there is nothing wrong with that. However, OBS uses CUDA and this is one of the main reasons the preview becomes choppy, the P2 state will kick in.

Set the CUDA P2 state to Off (notice the list of applications that is recommended for the Off setting. OBS is one of them as well as some games).

This is my best practice for OBS. Without doing any of these, every application (Globally) will use CUDA, Low Latency, G-Sync, and Threaded Optimizations when they were never designed to. Unless the devs say so specifically, then don't use CUDA globally.

Some additional unexpected behavior was from the Default Theme, which is Dark. I switched to the System theme, rehooked the video and the stuttering was gone. I'm not sure if this behavior is the same for most.