OBS Studio 30 RC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Why is the application audio capture, which is broken in OBS version 29, not fixed in this version? And is it still going to be released for Mac OS?
Could you be more specific? As far as I know, "Application Audio Capture (BETA)" on Windows has two rare reported bugs: audio can become distorted, and audio can become desynced. However, neither of these has been able to be reliably reproduced in a development environment to debug it.

MacOS is getting a feature to capture audio from a specific applications. Each is an entirely different implementation that relies on operating system features. The macOS version is not expected to have the same issues that occur on Windows. I am not aware of any issues with the upcoming macOS feature.

lcalder

Have you verified that Zoom didn't enable the "Blur" effect under Preferences > Background & Effects > Virtual Backgrounds? The virtual camera works fine for me in Zoom's camera preview, but I found that option was enabled by default and caused any video not featuring a person to look extremely blurry (as expected by how the feature works).

The correct path is /Applications. If OBS is not installed there, the new macOS virtual camera may fail to install correctly.
Yes. Nothing is enabled under blur. I never use Zoom's effects as I just use it to transmit my stream. OBS does all the work. Also, when I switch back to OBSv29 the fps and resolution return to the usual 640x480... so only OBSv30 seems to choke Zoom's fps/resolution.

I didn't realize OBSv30 is now installed from the /Applications path... I just installed the beta because I have beta updates enabled and when I launched OBS it asked me whether to update and I did. It still seems to be looking at /Myloginname/Library/ApplicationSupport/obs-studio/plugins for all of the plugins. I had to remove Streamdeck plugin and AdvancedSceneSwitcher from that path before running OBSv30 or it would instantly crash upon launch... So how do I get it to install off the /Applications path? Download the installer and run from finder?
Thanks for your help.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Yes. Nothing is enabled under blur. I never use Zoom's effects as I just use it to transmit my stream. OBS does all the work. Also, when I switch back to OBSv29 the fps and resolution return to the usual 640x480... so only OBSv30 seems to choke Zoom's fps/resolution.
Do you experience the resolution and FPS issue in the Zoom video preview in Preferences, or only while in calls? So far, I have been unable to reproduce this at all in the Zoom's video preview, and I could not reproduce it in a test call.

It still seems to be looking at /Myloginname/Library/ApplicationSupport/obs-studio/plugins for all of the plugins.
This is normal. Third-party plugins are expected to be installed to that path (/Users/username/Library/Application Support/obs-studio/plugins). Only OBS itself needs to be installed in /Applications.

I had to remove Streamdeck plugin and AdvancedSceneSwitcher from that path before running OBSv30 or it would instantly crash upon launch...
This is also expected. See my comments earlier in the thread.

So how do I get it to install off the /Applications path? Download the installer and run from finder?
You would first want to confirm if the copy of OBS (OBS.app) that you're running is already in /Applications or not. If it's not, find it, and delete it.
Then download the installer and copy it to /Applications as the installer suggests.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Please also verify whether Portrait Mode (or another Video Effect) is disabled for the OBS Virtual Camera. If it is enabled, it can cause blurriness.
  1. Load the OBS Virtual Camera in Discord or FaceTime (Zoom doesn't seem to work for this, but the effects are shared per camera across apps).
  2. Click on the Control Center icon in your menu bar
  3. Click on Video Effects
  4. Check if any video effects are enabled, such as Portrait and uncheck them
ControlCenterPortrait.gif

lcalder

Do you experience the resolution and FPS issue in the Zoom video preview in Preferences, or only while in calls? So far, I have been unable to reproduce this at all in the Zoom's video preview, and I could not reproduce it in a test call.

This is normal. Third-party plugins are expected to be installed to that path (/Users/username/Library/Application Support/obs-studio/plugins). Only OBS itself needs to be installed in /Applications.

This is also expected. See my comments earlier in the thread.

You would first want to confirm if the copy of OBS (OBS.app) that you're running is already in /Applications or not. If it's not, find it, and delete it.
Then download the installer and copy it to /Applications as the installer suggests.
Oh. Now I see what you're saying. Yes, the OBS.app is located in the /Applications folder. When I "uninstalled" OBSv30 I deleted "Application/OBS.app", for example, and then reinstalled the OBSv29. I also had to delete the virtualcam driver from /Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL...

My student reports it. So it's happening when it's online. I verify that what is happening is different from when I use OBSv29 by checking the Zoom Statistics "Overall" system usage and "Video" statics tabs where I notice the FPS and low resolution. The statistics only show when Zoom actually has meeting attendees though...

Could it be that OBSv30 poses a high system load than OBSv29? OBS cpu usage as shown in OBS stats always shows small percentages 2-7% or something like that, even when total system usage is high... Zoom reports Zoom AND Overall cpu usage in its "Overall" tab on its statistics page?

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Oh. Now I see what you're saying. Yes, the OBS.app is located in the /Applications folder. When I "uninstalled" OBSv30 I deleted "Application/OBS.app", for example, and then reinstalled the OBSv29. I also had to delete the virtualcam driver from /Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL...
OBS Studio 30 should automatically uninstall the old DAL plugin when you start the Virtual Camera if it detects the DAL plugin is installed. You should not need to remove it manually if you are running OBS Studio 30.

Have you tried previewing the OBS Studio 30 Virtual Camera in QuickTime player or FaceTime? If it works fine in those, it may be an issue in Zoom that we cannot fix ourselves.

lcalder

OBS Studio 30 should automatically uninstall the old DAL plugin when you start the Virtual Camera if it detects the DAL plugin is installed. You should not need to remove it manually if you are running OBS Studio 30.

Have you tried previewing the OBS Studio 30 Virtual Camera in QuickTime player or FaceTime? If it works fine in those, it may be an issue in Zoom that we cannot fix ourselves.
I will try and report. Thanks

lcalder

Please also verify whether Portrait Mode (or another Video Effect) is disabled for the OBS Virtual Camera. If it is enabled, it can cause blurriness.
  1. Load the OBS Virtual Camera in Discord or FaceTime (Zoom doesn't seem to work for this, but the effects are shared per camera across apps).
  2. Click on the Control Center icon in your menu bar
  3. Click on Video Effects
  4. Check if any video effects are enabled, such as Portrait and uncheck them
ControlCenterPortrait.gif
Sure I checked an no effects are enabled. Thanks

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Sure I checked an no effects are enabled. Thanks
Please also confirm if the OBS Studio 30 Virtual Camera looks okay in other apps (QuickTime, FaceTime, etc.). Also consider checking the Zoom camera preview when the issue is reported to be happening.

Lance_MadCat

Hi, I cannot seem to make the beta version make an SRT connection to OBS on another computer. Receiving end is ok, it can take connections from older versions of OBS, Larix broadcaster and a TBS 2603se encoder, but not from the newer OBS version 30. I've simplifed SRT options to the bare minimum and still cannot get it to connect.
That's all I got for now, thank you for your time work and dedication!

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Hi, I cannot seem to make the beta version make an SRT connection to OBS on another computer. Receiving end is ok, it can take connections from older versions of OBS, Larix broadcaster and a TBS 2603se encoder, but not from the newer OBS version 30. I've simplifed SRT options to the bare minimum and still cannot get it to connect.
That's all I got for now, thank you for your time work and dedication!
SRT is broken in beta 1 and beta 2. This is a known issue, and it has been fixed, but additional work is ongoing.

Kang Gaming

The YouTube Live Control Panel dock isn't allowing me to choose which channel it uses. I have multiple channels under my email address and it gives no option, just uses the default one which I don't use for content.

Harvey S

When connected to TV through Roku wirelessly, OBS will open on the TV, if you drag it back to the laptop screen the menus still open on the TV, this occurs in both OBS 30 beta1 and 2. OBS 29.1.3 works a it should.

Attachments

• 30. beta1.txt
    25.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 30. beta2.txt
    25.5 KB · Views: 26
  • OBS 29.1.3.txt
    21.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
The YouTube Live Control Panel dock isn't allowing me to choose which channel it uses. I have multiple channels under my email address and it gives no option, just uses the default one which I don't use for content.
This is a known issue, but it must be fixed by YouTube, as far as I know.

When connected to TV through Roku wirelessly, OBS will open on the TV, if you drag it back to the laptop screen the menus still open on the TV, this occurs in both OBS 30 beta1 and 2.
Please post a log file. As far as I know, this is a Qt issue that must be fixed on Qt's end, but we don't know why it's happening.

DF-TECH

Obs 30.0 Beta 2 works perfectly with Ozone 10 Advance VTS3 plugins thank you!

Attachments

• OBS VTS3.PNG
    OBS VTS3.PNG
    517.4 KB · Views: 85

xpisme

I have a Hackintosh running Monterey 12.6.7
OBS 29.1.3 is working fine. However, OBS 30 Beta 3 (Intel version) crashes at launch. Attached is the Apple Crash Report if it helps.

Attachments

• OBS-2023-09-13-090951.txt
    23.2 KB · Views: 34

Lolo Branco

Could you be more specific? As far as I know, "Application Audio Capture (BETA)" on Windows has two rare reported bugs: audio can become distorted, and audio can become desynced. However, neither of these has been able to be reliably reproduced in a development environment to debug it.

MacOS is getting a feature to capture audio from a specific applications. Each is an entirely different implementation that relies on operating system features. The macOS version is not expected to have the same issues that occur on Windows. I am not aware of any issues with the upcoming macOS feature.

Are you also having problems with the Obs Studio option called Application Audio Capture? I configured everything correctly but the app randomly distorts the sound of the game and disturbs people who are watching the live.

On the OBS Discord I asked about the problem and Mitchell | Yolo told me that the problem is known and that he would recommend me to continue using VoiceMetter to separate the audios.

I made the changes recommended by OBS Analyzer but the problem continued to occur.

Attachments

• 2023-08-27_18-05-46.txt
    360 KB · Views: 25

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
I have a Hackintosh running Monterey 12.6.7
OBS 29.1.3 is working fine. However, OBS 30 Beta 3 (Intel version) crashes at launch. Attached is the Apple Crash Report if it helps.
Please also provide the regular OBS log from this session. That said, we don't officially support running on Hackintosh systems, so no guarantees that we can figure out what's happening here.

Are you also having problems with the Obs Studio option called Application Audio Capture? I configured everything correctly but the app randomly distorts the sound of the game and disturbs people who are watching the live.

On the OBS Discord I asked about the problem and Mitchell | Yolo told me that the problem is known and that he would recommend me to continue using VoiceMetter to separate the audios.

I made the changes recommended by OBS Analyzer but the problem continued to occur.
The log you provided is from OBS Studio 29.1.3, not any of the 30 beta versions. Additionally, the problems with Application Audio Capture on Windows are not new to the OBS Studio 30 beta, which is what this thread is focused on. The previously mentioned known issues with Application Audio Capture go all the way back to when the feature was introduced. If you want to debug those issues further, then Mitchell | Yolo is the correct person to speak with on the OBS Discord server.

Status
Not open for further replies.