OBS Studio 30 RC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Disclaimer: This is a test build, not a full release. This build may contain bugs or broken functionality. For production usage, we still recommend using the latest stable build of OBS. If you are willing to test this build, please let us know if you run into any issues.

OBS Studio 30.0 RC2 is now available for testing! This update adds support for WebRTC output, improved YouTube integration, a new and cleaner status bar, QSV on Linux, application audio capture on macOS, HDR support for Decklink devices, a new Safe Mode for when OBS has issues starting from plugins/scripts, and more! Plus, our usual bug fixes, performance improvements, and small usability tweaks.

• Added WHIP/WebRTC output [Sean-Der / kc5nra / DDRBoxman / tt2468]
  • A redesigned status bar now provides the same information in a more organized and well structured way, with more representative and recognizable icons. [cg2121 / GeorgesStavracas / Warchamp7]
  • Added option for Full-Height docks to the "View" menu [ujifgc]
  • Added support Intel QSV on Linux [kkartaltepe]
  • Added a shader cache to improve OBS startup time on Windows [notr1ch]
  • Added application audio capture on macOS [jcm93]
  • Added a "Safe Mode" that runs OBS without third-party plugins, scripting, and websockets [derrod]
  • Reworked the virtual camera on macOS to work with all applications (on macOS 13 and newer) [gxalpha/PatTheMav]
  • Added a YouTube Live Control Panel when streaming to YouTube [yuriy-chunak]
  • Added 10-bit capture support for Decklink devices [jpark37]
  • Added HDR playback support for Decklink output [jpark37]
  • Added an option to hide OBS windows from macOS Screen Capture's "Display Capture" [PatTheMav]

Find the the full patch notes and download links for OBS Studio 30 RC2 here:
Steam users
: To access the beta via Steam, right-click the OBS Studio entry in Steam or click the cog icon on the game page, select "Properties...", then navigate to "Betas" and select the "beta" option in the dropdown:
1659496483190-png.85265

Flatpak Beta Installation:
Bash:
$ flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub-beta https://flathub.org/beta-repo/flathub-beta.flatpakrepo

$ flatpak install flathub-beta com.obsproject.Studio

Please give the build a try and let us know here or in the #beta-testing channel on Discord if you have any issues. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Kraevac

So, I love everything about this build. However, the new YT Live window is causing issues. After shutting down OBS, upon restarting, it pops an error message, the crash report option, and then shutdown. The work around is of course turning off the dock, then turning it back on. When the crash notification pops up, you can just click inside of OBS, turn the dock off, then restart OBS without incident. Last crash report is attached.

Attachments

• Crash 2023-08-17 20-10-09.txt
    150 KB · Views: 169
Added a YouTube Live Control Panel when streaming to YouTube

When I try to broadcast in HDR it only comes out in SDR. In OBS is the correct configuration, the broadcast in HLS, P010, Rec 2100. In Youtube it is in variable HLS, it is the same configuration that works in 29.1.3.

I go back to 29.1.3 and the same broadcast with the same stetting is broadcast correctly in HDR.

I don't understand the functionality of the new panel, apart from the green indication of the broadcast. You have to log in every time you use it. With the old panel you could configure the broadcast and check it by opening a browser.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
When I try to broadcast in HDR it only comes out in SDR. In OBS is the correct configuration, the broadcast in HLS, P010, Rec 2100. In Youtube it is in variable HLS, it is the same configuration that works in 29.1.3.

I go back to 29.1.3 and the same broadcast with the same stetting is broadcast correctly in HDR.

I don't understand the functionality of the new panel, apart from the green indication of the broadcast. You have to log in every time you use it. With the old panel you could configure the broadcast and check it by opening a browser.

Please provide a log file from the attempt.

I have one profile set to broadcast to Youtube in HDR with HLS and HEVC / P010 etc and another to Twitch in SDR. I seem to have logged in to the new window of Youtube when I had the profile in "Twitch" in SDR.

But It's strange because to display the new YouTube Live Control Panel you have to click on the broadcast button and this only appears on Youtube profile.

But before the first broadcast attempt these parameters appear.

11:13:27.631: Switched to profile 'YOUTUBE' (YOUTUBE2)
11:13:27.631: ------------------------------------------------
11:22:16.093: [obs-nvenc: 'advanced_video_stream'] settings:
11:22:16.093: codec: HEVC
11:22:16.093: rate_control: CBR
11:22:16.093: bitrate: 21000
11:22:16.093: cqp: 20
11:22:16.093: keyint: 120
11:22:16.093: preset: p5
11:22:16.093: tuning: hq
11:22:16.093: multipass: qres
11:22:16.093: profile: main10
11:22:16.093: width: 2560
11:22:16.093: height: 1440
11:22:16.093: b-frames: 4
11:22:16.093: lookahead: true
11:22:16.093: psycho_aq: true
11:22:16.093:
11:22:16.182: ---------------------------------
11:22:16.182: [FFmpeg aac encoder: 'adv_stream_audio'] bitrate: 160, channels: 6, channel_layout: 5.1
11:22:16.182:
11:22:16.183: [ffmpeg muxer: 'adv_stream'] Using muxer settings:
11:22:16.183: method=PUT
11:22:16.183: http_persistent=1
11:22:16.183: ignore_io_errors=1
11:22:16.183: http_user_agent=libobs/30.0.0-beta1
11:22:16.183: hls_time=2
11:22:16.200: ==== Streaming Start ===============================================
11:22:16.200: [ffmpeg hls muxer: 'adv_stream'] Writing to path 'https://a.upload.youtube.com/http_upload_hls?cid={stream_key}&copy=0&file=out.m3u8'...
11:23:26.637: User switched to scene 'Starting Soon'
11:23:36.591: warning: Could not update timestamps for discarded samples.
11:24:34.730: [ffmpeg muxer: 'adv_stream'] Output of file 'https://a.upload.youtube.com/http_upload_hls?cid={stream_key}&copy=0&file=out.m3u8' stopped

Then I updated the Steam version on another PC and using the old window I was able to broadcast in HDR.

And now on the initial PC I have been able to broadcast in HDR, the new window has not appeared.

Attachments

• 2023-08-18 11-13-10.txt
    69.9 KB · Views: 50

Fenrir

Forum Admin
OBS itself is not set to an HDR mode in that log, which would explain why it is not working.

11:13:11.973: format: NV12
11:13:11.973: YUV mode: Rec. 709/Partial

JohnyRingo

Crashing immediately when opening, Mac OS Monterey. I've run OBS in Safe Mode and realize im looking for plugins etc that cause problems but, forgive my stupidity, where do I look to remove plugins and try to reopen?? I know how to disable a filter but im more thinking about things like Advanced Scene Switcher etc. Where are those located on Mac OS so I can remove things and try and figure out what's causing the issue by process of elimination. Thank you

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Crashing immediately when opening, Mac OS Monterey. I've run OBS in Safe Mode and realize im looking for plugins etc that cause problems but, forgive my stupidity, where do I look to remove plugins and try to reopen?? I know how to disable a filter but im more thinking about things like Advanced Scene Switcher etc. Where are those located on Mac OS so I can remove things and try and figure out what's causing the issue by process of elimination. Thank you

Plugins on macOS are located in: ~/Library/Application Support/obs-studio/plugins/

If you have Advanced Scene Switcher installed, please read this announcement. This also applies to the Elgato Stream Deck plugin and the Logitech G HUB plugin.

JohnyRingo

Plugins on macOS are located in: ~/Library/Application Support/obs-studio/plugins/

If you have Advanced Scene Switcher installed, please read this announcement. This also applies to the Elgato Stream Deck plugin and the Logitech G HUB plugin.
Thank you VERY much, the announcement from Advanced Scene Switcher is exactly what I needed to read. Guess I'll be moving back to OBS 29 until this is resolved, I can't do without ASS. Thanks again!

lcalder

When using OBSv30 beta2, I can't get Zoom.us to send more than 14/15fps at 320x180.... When I downgrade back to OBSv29.1.3 I get the usual 27-30fps with 640x480.
My canvas in OBS is always set to output 30fps at 1920x1080, but Zoom has always resized what I send in "HD mode" (in their settings - I have paid version) to maximum of 640x480.
Now, for some reason Zoom is in the pits, never getting above 320x180 for several days since I upgraded OBS to 30.

I does seem that my resource usage CPU/GPU on my Mac M2 mini Pro 12core, 19 coregpu, 16 core neural engine, 32gb ram has gone up with the new OBS.... do I need to adjust any output settings? Below I have attached my OBS v29.1.3 output settings

1692850060766.png

1692849861683.png

lcalder

Continuing from the above post mentioning Zoom.us performance degradation for OBSv30 versus OBSv29.1.3 I am including logs of an OBS30 session and then an OBS29 session right away (after downgrading to v29).

Since the text logs are too big to attach below, I have loaded them in my google drive.

NOTE: The OBSv30 log has *a lot* of messages starting with "[time]: [obs-localvocal] pushing 512 frames to input buffer, current size: ..."

The OBSv30 log:

The OBSv29 log:

Thanks

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
When using OBSv30 beta2, I can't get Zoom.us to send more than 14/15fps at 320x180.... When I downgrade back to OBSv29.1.3 I get the usual 27-30fps with 640x480.
My canvas in OBS is always set to output 30fps at 1920x1080, but Zoom has always resized what I send in "HD mode" (in their settings - I have paid version) to maximum of 640x480.
Now, for some reason Zoom is in the pits, never getting above 320x180 for several days since I upgraded OBS to 30.

I does seem that my resource usage CPU/GPU on my Mac M2 mini Pro 12core, 19 coregpu, 16 core neural engine, 32gb ram has gone up with the new OBS.... do I need to adjust any output settings? Below I have attached my OBS v29.1.3 output settings
Do you mean that you are using the OBS Virtual Camera in Zoom? If so, then OBS' Output settings are not used for that, so those do not matter here.

Are you talking about Zoom's own output resolution and FPS? If so, I don't see what that has to do with OBS itself. That's up to Zoom.

Does this low resolution/FPS occur in Zoom's Preferences window while previewing the camera, or only in calls?

Can you confirm how you installed the beta (standalone download, in-app updater)? Where is it installed to ("/Applications", or some other directory)?

TheBigOne

Crashed upon launch. I have to click "Reopen," and then run it in Safe Mode. It will not run in Normal Mode.

The ONLY plugin I have installed is the StreamDeck plugin. So, I guess that's what's causing the crash?

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Crashed upon launch. I have to click "Reopen," and then run it in Safe Mode. It will not run in Normal Mode.

The ONLY plugin I have installed is the StreamDeck plugin. So, I guess that's what's causing the crash?
Correct. As I mentioned earlier in this thread:

lcalder

Do you mean that you are using the OBS Virtual Camera in Zoom? If so, then OBS' Output settings are not used for that, so those do not matter here.

Are you talking about Zoom's own output resolution and FPS? If so, I don't see what that has to do with OBS itself. That's up to Zoom.

Does this low resolution/FPS occur in Zoom's Preferences window while previewing the camera, or only in calls?

Can you confirm how you installed the beta (standalone download, in-app updater)? Where is it installed to ("/Applications", or some other directory)?
Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes, I am using OBS Virtual Camera in Zoom. And yes, I am also talking about Zoom's own output resolution and FPS as shown in their Statistics page for Video...
The only thing different between my OBSv29 and OBSv30 implementation is I have removed Streamdeck plugin and replaced Advanced Scene Switcher with the new experimental release. I am also using the installer that pops up when a new OBS version is detected. It is installed (as of OBSv28 I think) in the /User/Name/Library/ApplicationSupport/obs folder.... So whichever version is installed v29/v30 will use that application path.

I also didn't think it would be related to OBS directly.... However, I have been using the exact setup (except for the differences listed above) with OBS v28 and then v29 and generally always get 25-30fps and 640x480 in ZOOM's statistics.

What I noticed is that when running OBS 30, all my students without exception complained about the blurriness, and upon investigation I found that ZOOM could never get above 14-15fps and 320x180 output on their Statistics-Video page.

I always watch OBS's stats window to see what my output fps and average time to render / frames missed, etc, and I generally rarely have OBSv29 fall below 30fps (my desired setting) and the Average time to render frames range from 2 - 25ms depending on the scene contents and complexity. Zoom stats page will report Overall system load as generally hovering between 48% and 83% .

With OBSv30 OBS's stats window seems to be similar to above, but Zoom stats will report Overall system load as generally hovering between 70% and 98%... Regardless of which version (v29/v30) OBS's reported cpu usage on OBS stats page is always hovering between 6.2% and 15-20% with spikes up to 30%. OBSv30 seemed perhaps to generate slightly higher usage and occasionally sometimes time to render would rise above 30ms...

The bottom line is: as soon as I updated to OBSv30, my students started complaining as detailed above. I ran like this for 2 days with everyone complaining and was able to verify using Zoom's stats that fps and quality was low.
As soon as I reinstalled OBSv29, my Zoom stats were back to 25-30fps and quality was normal and no students were complaining... I have been running that for the last two days and no problems. Also I have been running v28/v29 for months with the same - no problems.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
What I noticed is that when running OBS 30, all my students without exception complained about the blurriness, and upon investigation I found that ZOOM could never get above 14-15fps and 320x180 output on their Statistics-Video page.
Have you verified that Zoom didn't enable the "Blur" effect under Preferences > Background & Effects > Virtual Backgrounds? The virtual camera works fine for me in Zoom's camera preview, but I found that option was enabled by default and caused any video not featuring a person to look extremely blurry (as expected by how the feature works).

It is installed (as of OBSv28 I think) in the /User/Name/Library/ApplicationSupport/obs folder
The correct path is /Applications. If OBS is not installed there, the new macOS virtual camera may fail to install correctly.

Last edited:

Lolo Branco

Why is the application audio capture, which is broken in OBS version 29, not fixed in this version? And is it still going to be released for Mac OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.