OBS Studio 28.0 Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miagios

This is a strange one. I've been attempting to set things up to play in HDR and stream in HDR. Prior to the 28 beta I used a mediocre LUT filter for this. This new compatibility is a welcome one. It has been working perfectly fine in my trials when playing something (in this case Monster Hunter Sunbreak) on my PC in HDR.

The issue comes when I attempt to play something via my PS5 and capture card (Elgato HD60 S+). Prior to upgrading my primary monitor to one with HDR compatibility I would simply set my HD60 S+ as a video capture device within OBS and play off the scene projector. After the HDR upgrade I had to start using Elgato's 4K Capture Utility to play in HDR and then capture that like any other game window.
Using the 4K Capture Utility to play in HDR and then using a window capture of that works just fine; but attempting to use the HD60 S+ itself as a video capture device isn't working properly. When I set the color space of the capture to Rec. 2100 (PQ), the capture goes black. It's still attempting to pick something up though, as if I re-enable my old LUT filter I can see the game within the filter preview window, (oddly enough, not on the actual scene though). If I set the color space on the HD60 S+ video capture back to Rec. 709, it works. It isn't tonemapped properly of course due to the color space, but I at least get an image. This all occurs in both 1080p [RGB (HDR)] and 2160p [YUV420 (HDR)]

This isn't a complete loss, as I still very much appreciate the accurate tonemapping when using the 4K Capture Utility; but I was hoping to not need it anymore for a few reasons.

tl;dr: HD60 S+ won't display in OBS when the device's color space is set to Rec. 2100 (PQ) despite clearly transmitting an HDR signal

Last edited:

yoshionthego

Disclaimer: This is a test build, not a full release. This build may contain bugs or broken functionality. For production usage, we still recommend using the latest stable build of OBS. If you are willing to test this build, please let us know if you run into any issues.

We have beta build for OBS Studio 28.0 available for testing! This will be an enormous release with several features and upgrades that will need extensive testing, including the following:
  • HDR and 10-bit color support (Windows, macOS/Linux support limited)
  • Native Apple Silicon Support (macOS)
    • Note that many third-party plugins will need to release Apple Silicon versions of their plugins in order for them to work on Apple Silicon builds of OBS
  • Upgrade UI framework to Qt6 (All platforms)
    • NOTE: Unfortunately, this means OBS Studio can no longer support the following operating systems:
      • Windows 7 & 8
      • macOS 10.13 & 10.14
      • Ubuntu 18.04
      • All 32-bit operating systems
    • Additionally, many third-party plugins that depend on legacy Qt5 components may not work until they are updated.
  • obs-websocket 5.0 plugin native integration. Read more here! (All platforms)
  • Updated AMD Encoder implementation (Windows)
  • Support for ScreenCaptureKit on macOS 12.5+ for significantly improved capture performance (macOS)
  • Significant improvements to Apple VT encoder (macOS)
  • Application-specific audio capture (Windows)
  • Integrated NVIDIA Background Removal (Windows)
  • Automatically split recordings by time or filesize (All platforms)
  • New default theme, Yami (All platforms)
  • And much, much more!
Find the the full patch notes and download links for OBS Studio 28.0 Beta 1 here:
Steam users
: To access the beta via Steam, right-click the OBS Studio entry in Steam or click the cog icon on the game page, select "Properties...", then navigate to "Betas" and select the "beta" option in the dropdown:

Flatpak Beta Installation (not available yet, coming soon):
Bash:
$ flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub-beta https://flathub.org/beta-repo/flathub-beta.flatpakrepo
$ flatpak install flathub-beta com.obsproject.Studio

Ubuntu PPA Beta Installation (not available yet, coming soon):
Bash:
Install
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:obsproject/obs-studio-unstable
$ sudo apt install obs-studio
Uninstall
$ sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:obsproject/obs-studio-unstable
$ sudo apt remove obs-studio

Due to the magnitude of this release, we need your help tracking down as many bugs as you can find before we make a full release! Please give the build a try and let us know here or in the #beta-testing channel on Discord if you have any issues. Thanks for your help!

Not sure if this is a bug but OBS just won't open on my M1 iMac. It will bounce a few times, turn on the webcam, then crash. When clicking the icon again to open, it won't do anything, but I can't quit because Mac thinks it's open, but I still can't open it. I have double checked all my permissions in setting and they are good. I don't know what else to do to troubleshoot.

sandrix

Great job! Many expected full implementation of HEVC in OBS and it happened. A year ago, I managed to implement the ability to broadcast via nvenc_hevc for YouTube via FFmpeg, as well as for hevc_amf in OBS. To be honest, few people were interested in this, because. it's pretty hard to explain). In general, now I am very satisfied! May I know if Nvenc HEVC uses Psycho Visual Tuning as its adaptive quantization mode or is it Spatial AQ and Temporal AQ?

sandrix

And I also want to ask. On video cards below Nvidia Turing TU116, if you specify B-frames, then they simply will not work. Correctly I understand that it does not cause errors?

andrewluy

Unfortunately since version 26 of OBS, I suffer from stutterings in recording and transmission, we are already in version 28 and the problem still persists. I did everything for 2 years, I went through several hardware and configurations and unfortunately nothing solves.

sandrix

At the moment, B-frames are disabled by default, and enabling them requires an RDNA2 GPU. To enable B-frames, you must currently specify them in the "AMF/FFmpeg Options" field in the Encoder Settings. For example, to set B-frames to 3, you would use:
Code:
MaxConsecutiveBPictures=3 BPicturesPattern=3
Tell me, where can I find all the variable settings?

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Hello guys. Is there a way how to install old Websocket to the new version? I have tried to install it for Avermedia AX310 Nexus, but it does not work anymore.
obs-websocket 4.9.1-compat does not yet have a release that is compatible with OBS Studio 28. The maintainer is working on it, so we expect that to be released soon.

tl;dr: HD60 S+ won't display in OBS when the device's color space is set to Rec. 2100 (PQ) despite clearly transmitting an HDR signal
Please ensure that you have updated to the latest firmware and drivers. If you are still having issues with this, I recommend stopping by the #beta-testing channel on our Discord server.

Not sure if this is a bug but OBS just won't open on my M1 iMac. It will bounce a few times, turn on the webcam, then crash. When clicking the icon again to open, it won't do anything, but I can't quit because Mac thinks it's open, but I still can't open it. I have double checked all my permissions in setting and they are good. I don't know what else to do to troubleshoot.
I do not experience this issue on my MacBook. Do you have multiple versions of OBS installed? Have you tried to open the ARM version or the x86_64 version of the beta? Do you have any application crash logs (Diagnostic Reports) from these crashes? It may be easier to troubleshoot this in the #beta-testing channel on our Discord server as that is better monitored.

Great job! Many expected full implementation of HEVC in OBS and it happened. A year ago, I managed to implement the ability to broadcast via nvenc_hevc for YouTube via FFmpeg, as well as for hevc_amf in OBS. To be honest, few people were interested in this, because. it's pretty hard to explain). In general, now I am very satisfied! May I know if Nvenc HEVC uses Psycho Visual Tuning as its adaptive quantization mode or is it Spatial AQ and Temporal AQ?
Psycho Visual Tuning uses both Spatial and Temporal AQ.

And I also want to ask. On video cards below Nvidia Turing TU116, if you specify B-frames, then they simply will not work. Correctly I understand that it does not cause errors?
If you mean for HEVC, please refer to NVIDIA's Video Encode and Decode GPU Support Matrix.

Unfortunately since version 26 of OBS, I suffer from stutterings in recording and transmission, we are already in version 28 and the problem still persists. I did everything for 2 years, I went through several hardware and configurations and unfortunately nothing solves.
This thread is for feedback that is specific to the OBS Studio 28 beta. If you have been experiencing an issue with previous or current stable releases of OBS, please seek assistance in the OBS Studio Support section of the forum or on our Discord server.

AptiX1

Recently it started crashing when opening the "Video Capture Device". The capture card is AverMedia Live Gamer Portable 2 4K.

Attachments

• Crash 2022-08-06 11-38-47.txt
    150 KB · Views: 20

AptiX1

Recently it started crashing when opening the "Video Capture Device". The capture card is AverMedia Live Gamer Portable 2 4K.
I guess it has something to do with the H264 "video format". Everything works on the "MJPEG" format. For only with it the program begins to crash.
Here's the video:

Holy_13

Hello,

first of all: Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I have been waiting for 10-bit support quite some time and I love to see it in v28.

But... I ran in to some problems, compared to the respective native capture card software (RECentral & 4K Capture Utility)

Almost everything works great on the recording side of things.
2 small problems I noticed here:
- splitting recordings automatically results in a ~half frame audio drop out. which can sound strange.. especially if there is a ongoing static background sound - like a car engine, for example. - no problem for me. I am used to splitting up my recordings manually.
- and even though I record video and audio coming from my PS5 directly via the Elgato 4k60 pro mk2, the audio is out of sync for 10-15 frames. Definitely noticeable when a gun is fired.

But the biggest problem I have, compared to recordings from Elgato's 4K Capture Utility starts when I import the OBS files into my NLE (in my case Premiere Pro and/or DaVinci Resolve Studio).
While I can EASILY shuttle through media recorded with the Elgato software and my GPU (RTX 3090) is at around 40% everything get's really laggy and stuttery, when I try to shuttle through OBS's files and my GPU is at around 80-90%

I am using the same resolution (3840x2160) - the same frame rate (59.94) - the same bitrate settings (vbr with 85000 kbit).
every parameter I can manually adjust, is the same.
still, the impact on my system's performance is vastly different.

I attached 2 media-info pages. one from a file created with Elgato's software - the other with OBS.
Maybe anybody has any ideas on how to solve this and make it more easy to edit?

Attachments

• elgato codec information.PNG
    elgato codec information.PNG
    163.4 KB · Views: 49
  • obs codec information.PNG
    obs codec information.PNG
    180.8 KB · Views: 48

hafner

Hello everyone, a problem arose, it’s not clear what to do, I set the HLS HEVC 30000 bitrate, I turn on the stream, at first everything is fine when the static picture, I expand the game, and away we go, frame drops, then I return RTMPS H.264 to the same bitrate, everything is perfect, I already think maybe if the channel is empty, then the restriction is enabled on YouTube.

Attachments

• 2022-08-06 17-22-01.txt
    29.2 KB · Views: 15

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
<snip>
- splitting recordings automatically results in a ~half frame audio drop out. which can sound strange.. especially if there is a ongoing static background sound - like a car engine, for example. - no problem for me. I am used to splitting up my recordings manually.
- and even though I record video and audio coming from my PS5 directly via the Elgato 4k60 pro mk2, the audio is out of sync for 10-15 frames. Definitely noticeable when a gun is fired.

But the biggest problem I have, compared to recordings from Elgato's 4K Capture Utility starts when I import the OBS files into my NLE (in my case Premiere Pro and/or DaVinci Resolve Studio).
While I can EASILY shuttle through media recorded with the Elgato software and my GPU (RTX 3090) is at around 40% everything get's really laggy and stuttery, when I try to shuttle through OBS's files and my GPU is at around 80-90%
<snip>

The first issue is known, and we have a Draft PR open to address it. However, it has some unresolved issues, so we were not able to fix this in time for this release.

The second issue I'm not sure about. The third issue, I don't see anything that stands out in the attached images that would explain this. You may have better luck seeking assistance for these issues in the #beta-testing channel on our Discord server as that is better monitored.

Hello everyone, a problem arose, it’s not clear what to do, I set the HLS HEVC 30000 bitrate, I turn on the stream, at first everything is fine when the static picture, I expand the game, and away we go, frame drops, then I return RTMPS H.264 to the same bitrate, everything is perfect, I already think maybe if the channel is empty, then the restriction is enabled on YouTube.
HLS has more overhead and uses a different frame dropping mechanism than RTMP. They will not behave exactly the same.

sandrix

Found a problem that obs crashes when psycho-visual tuning is enabled on the "Lossless" preset. The error occurs with H.264 and HEVC. Possibly a personal issue. I am attaching a report.

UPD: In OBS 27.2.4, the problem does not occur. I also created a portable version of OBS 28.0 The error continues.
NVENC 7th Gen Encoder (1660 Ti)

Attachments

• Crash 2022-08-07 00-41-11.txt
    150 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Failrunner13

So far i'm not experiencing any bugs but I do wanna thanks you for enabling me to use my Avermedia Live Gamer 4k to capture in HDR on my Amd rig. I was so disappointed that my new capture card couldn't be used to its fullest potential on Amd 6000 series cards but it's all good now and on top of that I can capture my PC games in 4k HDR as well with screen recording!

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Found a problem that obs crashes when psycho-visual tuning is enabled on the "Lossless" preset. The error occurs with H.264 and HEVC. Possibly a personal issue. I am attaching a report.

UPD: In OBS 27.2.4, the problem does not occur. I also created a portable version of OBS 28.0 The error continues.
NVENC 7th Gen Encoder (1660 Ti)
This is a known issue, and we have an open PR for it.

hidef

Is anyone having issues with obs connecting to youtube using their hls streamkey and stream url? I have hdr enabled on windows and a rtx 3090 and so far recording has been great. I have direct3D 11, color format P010, color space Rec 2100 (PQ), and color range full for my advanced settings and I have attached the image of my output settings. I followed youtube's hls stream documentation and I have been trying various combinations of output settings to see if that helps but no luck so far. Obs will send data but my youtube studio living streaming webpage shows no sign of this.

Attachments

• screenshot obs.jpg
    screenshot obs.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 78

TWM

Any support for M1 HEVC encoding?
Where are the SRT/RIST output settings?

Is SRT V1.5? Is bonding supported?

hidef

Is anyone having issues with obs connecting to youtube using their hls streamkey and stream url? I have hdr enabled on windows and a rtx 3090 and so far recording has been great. I have direct3D 11, color format P010, color space Rec 2100 (PQ), and color range full for my advanced settings and I have attached the image of my output settings. I followed youtube's hls stream documentation and I have been trying various combinations of output settings to see if that helps but no luck so far. Obs will send data but my youtube studio living streaming webpage shows no sign of this.
Ok disregard all of that I have realized my error. You aren't supposed to pick custom for the service in the stream settings tab find the youtube hls option in the drop down.

hafner

I played around with the bitrate, I put 11000 all the passes go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.