OBS Studio 23.0 Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Hey guys, i think this update broke the functionality of the obs-websocket. Maybe im just bumb but it works fine in 22.
You need to delete the bin/64bit/Qt5Network.dll file in your OBS folder, and that will make the websocket plugin work again.
I’ve heard that using the rescale option breaks the new NVENC performance gains and makes it fall back to the previous method of encoding.

Can anyone confirm this?
To be clear here, You should always be using the rescaling option in your Video settings, unless you're trying to record and stream at different resolutions. If you need to do that, then yes, the new NVENC implementation will not work for the downscaled output, since that implementation of the encoder doesn't support rescaling. The older FFmpeg implementation does because it makes use of FFmpeg's rescaling capabilities.

Kiwi5alive

The Steam Overlay is captured inside a Game Capture source even when it is left unchecked in the source's properties

Windows 10

I seem to have a weird thing where occasionally stream only outputs microphone, even though the other audio sources are active and have their volume bar moving. Restarting OBS seems to fix the problem. Unsure what exactly is going on with that, will have to test a bit more to try to figure it out. Only started happening with the new builds, never had problems with older builds.

Kiwi5alive

I don't have this problem... have you tried to check and uncheck the option?
This happens when having the steam overlay on and then Alt+tabbing out.

Some games tend to break during the use of a steam-overlay and then this happens
obs64_EnpLvIaRb1.png

SunnyMoney

I always had issues with playing heavy processing games on the same PC with the Game Capture for some reason as it used more CPU to capture. When I used it on the same PC, here is what I changed:

-With that amount of bandwidth being used (the network services use the CPU too), I would add memory to at least 24 GB of RAM (suggestion).
-The Game Mode may interfere, though I haven't found that to be the actual case yet; this can be turned off along with the DVR and recording.
-Make sure you add the OBS folder and your games to your Windows Defender Antivirus Exclusions.
-Check your paging file, because the requirements have changed as of October 2018 for Windows 10 (minimum = RAM / 8, maximum = RAM x 3 or 4 GB, whichever is larger). By default, I'll bet it's set to 4 GB (like the old Windows XP requirements). Your maximum should be 48 GB of memory. You can use the same disk, but I recommend moving it to a second disk.
-Twitch always recommend 2 keyframes, but it's actually taking a lot of resources over the network to send 2 frames of every single start and ending point of the picture. I recommend using 1 keyframe (like Mixer) if going live and 2 if recording locally.
-Try using a Look Up Table. There are errors in recording and it happens per game, per motion, per scene. Sometimes, it's due to the colors. What you end up seeing is a lot of blocks at a high motion. Most people will increase the bitrate to fix it, but a Look Up Table can help to fix the colors and errors in the picture. Filmmakers use these all the time.

Currently it says Currently allocated: 4000 MB. The initial size was 4000 and max was set to 8000. So for Initial Size in Virtual Memory, what do I put? For Maximum I changed to 48000 like you recommended.

Synflood

You need to delete the bin/64bit/Qt5Network.dll file in your OBS folder, and that will make the websocket plugin work again.

To be clear here, You should always be using the rescaling option in your Video settings, unless you're trying to record and stream at different resolutions. If you need to do that, then yes, the new NVENC implementation will not work for the downscaled output, since that implementation of the encoder doesn't support rescaling. The older FFmpeg implementation does because it makes use of FFmpeg's rescaling capabilities.

Please tell me if I understand correctly, if I play in 1080p resolution, in order to use the new NVENC I need to stream to twitch in 1080p? I can not put the output resolution 720p on the video tab?

DIRTY CES

I figured out why my x264 steams were getting very blurry when moving (xbox streaming to elgato hd60pro internal pc card). Can't believe after so many post no one had an answer even after posting my log files. I was ignored and I know why, because no one had an answer. Guess what I do now so if anyone is having the same issue let me know, I'll be glad to help. Today I will try to stream with my 2080ti and see if now it looks better than my i7 7700 at veryfast or faster. I will post my finding here.

Now this should be an easy question. I will be streaming and recording at the same time at 1080p using nvenc new, I'm going to leave preset at quality not max quality right ? I'm streaming at 8k bitrate and record @ 40k. should I have look ahead and psycho tuning checked on both or just have psycho checked on both ? what recommendations for the nvenc new since I'm streaming and recording my xbox. Thanks

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Please tell me if I understand correctly, if I play in 1080p resolution, in order to use the new NVENC I need to stream to twitch in 1080p? I can not put the output resolution 720p on the video tab?
Just change your downscale in Video settings to 720p, like normal.

I figured out why my x264 steams were getting very blurry when moving (xbox streaming to elgato hd60pro internal pc card). Can't believe after so many post no one had an answer even after posting my log files. I was ignored and I know why, because no one had an answer. Guess what I do now so if anyone is having the same issue let me know, I'll be glad to help. Today I will try to stream with my 2080ti and see if now it looks better than my i7 7700 at veryfast or faster. I will post my finding here.

Now this should be an easy question. I will be streaming and recording at the same time at 1080p using nvenc new, I'm going to leave preset at quality not max quality right ? I'm streaming at 8k bitrate and record @ 40k. should I have look ahead and psycho tuning checked on both or just have psycho checked on both ? what recommendations for the nvenc new since I'm streaming and recording my xbox. Thanks
Why on earth would you stream with 8k bitrate? And at 1080p, you'd have very few followers and viewers due to the bandwidth it takes to watch without constantly buffering. Everyone would need at least 10mb to even watch your stream. Nvenc is terrible with less than 20k bitrate, i'd actually say 30k bitrate, new or old. And twitch isn't making it a whole lot better. If you really want to stream with decent quality, Mixer is the way to go with 10k bitrate limit compared to twitch. Since you are not affiliated, you will not be given any options to choose less encodes either which forces your viewers to that 8k, 1080p stream. 720p at 5k looks a lot better than 1080p at 8k, seriously. Especially with Nvenc.

Overflow

So guys, do you prefer a 1080p@60fps 8000Kbps stream, or 720p@60fps 8000Kbps stream? I'm a partner so i have the transcode option. I was wondering if people want better quality or better resolution...

A calculator would answer that. 720p at the same bitrate have 50% more pixels per line than 1080p. And at less cost for the viewer too. And less strain for the streamer rig.

DIRTY CES

Why on earth would you stream with 8k bitrate? And at 1080p, you'd have very few followers and viewers due to the bandwidth it takes to watch without constantly buffering. Everyone would need at least 10mb to even watch your stream. Nvenc is terrible with less than 20k bitrate, i'd actually say 30k bitrate, new or old. And twitch isn't making it a whole lot better. If you really want to stream with decent quality, Mixer is the way to go with 10k bitrate limit compared to twitch. Since you are not affiliated, you will not be given any options to choose less encodes either which forces your viewers to that 8k, 1080p stream. 720p at 5k looks a lot better than 1080p at 8k, seriously. Especially with Nvenc.

I stream to restream which sends out my stream to YouTube,Twitch, and Mixer.
Why not do all 3 at the same time if you can. Also if I just pick Mixer I wouldn't be getting followers on Twitch anyway. So for me to stream to twitch and only have a few people watching that can is better than none. Remember 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Also I have the 2080ti and according to nvidia this should be on par with medium x264 or fast. I have an I7 7700k which is runnig at veryfast only yesterday I put it on faster. So nvidia is saying that the new nvenc chip should look better than my cpu...... I'm I wrong for thinking this ?

Last edited:

Overflow

I stream to restream which sends out my stream to YouTube,Twitch, and Mixer.
Why not do all 3 at the same time if you can. Also if I just pick Mixer I wouldn't be getting followers on Twitch anyway. So for me to stream to twitch and only have a few people watching that can is better than none. Remember 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Also I have the 2080ti and according to nvidia this should be on par with medium x264 or fast. I have an I7 7700k which is runnig at veryfast only yesterday I put it on faster. So nvidia is saying that the new nvenc chip should look better than my cpu...... I'm I wrong for thinking this ?
That is the problem... SHOULD, but from many test, we can see that is pretty sure a lie. New Turing Nvenc seems to be more like faster preset, not like medium or fast for sure.

DIRTY CES

That is the problem... SHOULD, but from many test, we can see that is pretty sure a lie. New Turing Nvenc seems to be more like faster preset, not like medium or fast for sure.

Damn man, I was hoping for close to medium. Oh well. I'll test tonight and compare it to yesterdays stream which was set to faster on my i7 7700k.

Can I still record at the same time ? or will it have a negative impact on quality ?

Thanks for the reply

Status
Not open for further replies.