OBS Skipping Frames with Capture Card

caffeinejedi

Basically when I stream OBS skips frames every 2-3 seconds which happens consistently. The stats on OBS don't show any frames getting skipped so not sure what is happening especially since if I stream with Elgato's software the skip doesn't happen. Issue is highly annoying since it's non-stop but only affects video, audio is completely fine.

qhobbes

Your log doesn't show any missed frames from render delay or skipper frames from encoder overload, but it does show dropped frames. This can only be caused by a failure in your internet connection or your networking hardware. It is not caused by OBS. Follow the troubleshooting steps at: Dropped Frames and General Connection Issues. Start by enabling Dynamic Bitrate in the Advanced Settings.

caffeinejedi

Don't believe it's my internet connection. Streaming just fine when I do so with a PC game, this only happens with consoles. Also since I don't seem to have the issue with Elgato's software I don't believe it could be my internet. My setup worked just fine with my previous rig, but this issue occurred with the new build.

qhobbes

The first stream in your log is through ExpressVPN with 1,541 (3.9%) dropped frames. Your second stream is through regular internet has 114 (0.0%) dropped frames. Your VPN internet connection is causing 13.5 times the amount of dropped frames compared to your regular internet connection.

caffeinejedi

Again this is only with console, when I stream a PC game I don't have this issue. The issue with my net during this particular stream was an outlier since I've never had an issue before with my VPN. Unless you're suggesting my internet only does this when I'm streaming a console game vs a PC game I don't see how it can be my internet.

qhobbes

You can test this by setting up a local RTMP server on your computer and then having OBS stream to that server. If you drop frames when streaming to the local server, then there's some other problem. If you only drop frames when streaming via the internet, then it's an internet problem.

caffeinejedi

Didn't test this with an RTMP server, but I did try an off stream recording and I still had the same issue with the frames skipping/dropping. I could still see if the issue replicates or not with an RTMP server.

konsolenritter

Don't believe it's my internet connection. Streaming just fine when I do so with a PC game, this only happens with consoles. Also since I don't seem to have the issue with Elgato's software I don't believe it could be my internet. My setup worked just fine with my previous rig, but this issue occurred with the new build.

So your console is connected thru the elgato?
Is it by intention to have your audio devices mapped as global devices and within two of your scenes as wasapi_input and _output devices additionally? This may cause stutter in the system globally.

Can you try another format than UYVY in your elgato settings? And there is "using video device audio: yes" but with reported samplerate and channels as of zero. oO

caffeinejedi

So your console is connected thru the elgato?
Is it by intention to have your audio devices mapped as global devices and within two of your scenes as wasapi_input and _output devices additionally? This may cause stutter in the system globally.

Can you try another format than UYVY in your elgato settings? And there is "using video device audio: yes" but with reported samplerate and channels as of zero. oO
Correct I have my consoles connected thru the elgato.
Not sure what my intentions were but their the settings I copied over when I installed my capture card into this rig I built last summer. Not sure if maybe I changed something by mistake and didn't realize it because this issue didn't happen on my previous computer.

Can't find the settings you're referring to, might be looking in the wrong place for it.