Bug Report OBS repeatable Blue Screen of Death Stop with Preview...

ITPalg

and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes...at least what I was just trying to do.

I crashed 4 times in a row so I decided to ONLY load OBS, then Vanguard's launcher.

I clicked Preview, saw the images/text fine, then launched Vanguard, got to the character select, then just like the other times, a few seconds into pressing Preview, my computer met the BSoD Stop error.

I am too tired right now to do more testing, such as trying to actually stream instead of preview button. I will try that later.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF880053B0BF9
BCP3: FFFFF8800A2ABBC0
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Warchamp7

Forum Admin
Software cannot directly cause blue screens, only trigger them. A blue screen means something in your drivers or hardware is not functioning correctly.

I recommend running a memtest at the very least to check your RAM.

ITPalg

Despite the fact that it is 100% repeatable with that combination?

I tried many other games including World of Tanks, SimCity 5, EQ II and no crash.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Blue screen indicates a fault in kernel space. OBS runs in user space. Something in your kernel is crashing, either from a faulty driver or hardware. Streaming in general stresses many parts of your system, just because triggers a BSOD doesn't mean it's the cause.

Free to play MMOs often inject kernel drivers as an attempt to provide anti-cheat functionality, it could be such a driver is crashing your system when OBS tries to access the game to stream it.

ITPalg

I am not sure what business model type has to do with a game and OBS crashing everytime I click the Preview Stream button with Vanguard.

Vanguard only in the last several months switched from a subscription model to a hybrid FTP.

Why would only one game cause a 100% crash rate when clicking Preview Stream?

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Yes, it's possible Vanguard is installing a buggy kernel driver as part of an anticheat system which crashes when OBS tries to interact with the Vanguard process.

ITPalg

Another test:

With OBS and Vanguard running, I ONLY selected the image slide show that works by itself without Vanguard running.

Crash.

Game capture wasn't even selected. Just picture or text to view while Vanguard character select is up. I tried changing from EAX to software sound in Vanguard and still it crashed.

It would be nice if someone else could test this on their system to see if it is not an isolated incident. You can download the installer and just run the game while clicking Preview Stream without even setting anything up it seems. Later I will see if I have the room to try it with Windows 8 in VMware, depending if I have the HDD room to install it with the VM.

I played for about 30 min last week and I could have sworn I was streaming, but the odd thing is I can't find the recorded stream. I can't think of a reason I would have deleted it, unless I was thinking I was streaming in which case I was talking to myself all along...

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
When you say 'selected' what do you mean exactly? If you're unticking the box, this doesn't actually disable anything, it just stops it from showing temporarily. You have to delete the source completely to prevent it from loading.

ITPalg

I mean I have the game capture, then I have slideshow, text...Only having one of the last two checked then clicking the Preview button causes a crash (even streaming).

Krazy

Town drunk
Unchecking a source doesn't remove it, it just hides it from display. You need to actually delete a source to remove it.

ITPalg

Just tested it without game capture in the sources and only the slide show.
No crash.

I then added game capture, clicked preview, no crash..

Krazy

Town drunk
Then it's pretty clear it's the issue R1CH talked about. Not much you can do other than play in a window, turn on Aero, and use window capture.

Voxletum

I would need to see the stop code presented in the blue screen and the description of that stop code.

(would be 0x000000???) and perhaps IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. Something along those lines.

ITPalg

Voxletum said:
I would need to see the stop code presented in the blue screen and the description of that stop code.

(would be 0x000000???) and perhaps IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. Something along those lines.

Yeah I tried to write it down then got tired of writing those long things out. I wish I had a camera.

I suppose I can try again later. All I remember it had something xxxx.sys maybe with all those addresses.

ITPalg

Just tried a couple things just before I have to start working so can't afford time to do more with constant restarts of my computer.

I first had OBS open with game cap selected and preview already going. I started the launcher, launched the game, and all was fine.

I then closed the game and had OBS idle with nothing checked, restarted the launcher, got into the game character select, then only selected the slide show option, preview, and BSoD:

System _Service_Exception

Technical Information

STOP: 0X0000003B (0X00000000C0000005, 0XFFFFF88005634BF9, 0XFFFFF8800E1C8BC0, 0X0000000000000000)

Portcls.sys - address FFFFF88005634BF9 base at FFFFF88005600000, Datestamp 4a5bcc03

Voxletum

Can you provide me with a DxDiag dump for your system? (start > run > dxdiag > "Save All Information...")

This could be an issue with your audio driver or some sort of connected device. It could also be due to your graphics driver:

Technical info:
This error has been linked to excessive paged pool usage and may occur due to user-mode graphics drivers crossing over and passing bad data to the kernel code.