OBS redux

Scoop

quick question, with the OBS for mac, would i be able to add my elgato as a source instead of having to open the game capture hd to capture? it would eat up way more ram if i have to have the elgato software running OBS. Just hoping its like split where you can just click game and select elgato. Thanks

leonhard

Developer
Could the people on Linux that had crashes while streaming please check with current master if that problem persists ?

admalledd

For those of us on linux I took some time when I had to re-work my development VM's to make a very rough script to get the dependencies for you. Good for a reference guide if your system (like mine) is a bit behind and you have to compile them yourself.

https://gist.github.com/admalledd/22096af58ee1eaa301d7

No promises of it working right off the bat, tweaking and all that might be needed (and especially qt5 might break, but thats easy to fix if they move it on me.)

mobbsy91

I've tried to install on mac, but it wont let me - says i have to run it as root... Not sure how to do this - do we have any idea when a version with an easier install or build will be coming?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
https://github.com/jp9000/obs-studio/releases/tag/0.2.4 -- Here's something for you mac users. Don't expect real support at the moment because all of our guys are windows users right now, but please if possible report bugs/crashes with full crash logs if possible. No scene editing or bitmaps yet, but they're next up. Please read the entire thing if you are able.

kokarn

Hey Jim!

Great to see that you've come this far.

Figured I should test it out and try to help with bugs but i can't event get it to run.

"Failed to create directory /Users/kokarn/Library/Application Support/obs-studio"

Anything special you need to do for it to run? Read through your post but can't seem to find anything.

EDIT: Managed to start it but i had to go from command line and start with sudo.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
That 'Library/Application Support' is where settings for most programs are placed. It's just trying to write its settings, it really shouldn't need sudo.

mobbsy91

I'm downloading the OBS for mac now - I'm really excited about using it, and also want to see it progress, which is really exciting - usually I wouldn't bother, but because of how excited I am, where would you like me to post any crash reports!

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Oh, just here is fine if you happen to get any. We'll probably make mac-specific and linux-specific subforums eventually.

kokarn

It really did :/

Anything you want me to test on why that happened? Never had that problem with any other applications afaik :/

xiuide

I've tried to install on mac, but it wont let me - says i have to run it as root... Not sure how to do this - do we have any idea when a version with an easier install or build will be coming?

Hey Jim!

Great to see that you've come this far.

Figured I should test it out and try to help with bugs but i can't event get it to run.

"Failed to create directory /Users/kokarn/Library/Application Support/obs-studio"

Anything special you need to do for it to run? Read through your post but can't seem to find anything.

EDIT: Managed to start it but i had to go from command line and start with sudo.

for the people running into issues on Mac.. Im not a Mac user HOWEVER Id assume that the Mac builds are unsigned and you may need to install them a bit differently. the blurp below is pretty much hijacked verbatiam from xbmc.org

Installing on OSX As XBMC OBS is an unsigned application on OSX, you may need to go through a slightly different process to start it the first time. After you have copied XBMC OBS to the Applications folder, you will need to “right click” or “two finger click” XBMC OBS from within the Applications folder and select “Open” and then accept the warning. You should only need to do this the first time you run XBMC OBS.

Julia Mortellaro

I recorded a video with OBS on my mac and when i tried to watch the video on quicktime player it said it couldn't open it? the only way i could watch it was to convert it using the smart converter app. but still when i watched the video it was laggy and i couldn't hear the game audio.

Last edited:

sww1235

Downloading the mac version now. I have been following this rewrite with bated breath. I will definitely report any bugs or crashes here as well as anywhere else you want us to.

jconnor817

Could you please implement the Elgato Game Capture HD support first as this is the most used game capture device basically.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Ugh, I had a feeling something like this would happen. FLV isn't supported by quicktime apparently, because it's a terrible video player. It's the most simple file format out of any other file format available and yet somehow it doesn't support it. That just goes to show, just because something is made by a big company, don't ever expect it to be good. (Reminds me of adobe and flash, flash is terrible)

I'll have to put in the other file output plugin which does support other formats as well.

Options for dealing with it:
1.) Get a real video player that isn't totally terrible, such as VLC which is available for the mac supports every format and codec on the planet, and is much more optimal

2.) Convert it to mp4 via a utility:
Here's the best way to convert via the ffmpeg command line utility:
ffmpeg -i myfile.flv -acodec copy -vcodec copy myfile.mp4

3.) Wait until I add other file type output support

Josh N

Just tested streaming and recording on my Macbook with OSX Mountain Lion, works like a charm! The only problem I found with it however, I could not find a way to use both my microphone and my computer output at once. I also tried using soundflower but it did not work.

ThoNohT

Developer
From the release notes:
Linux is a different matter entirely due to package management, and it's too early to make a real 'release' for linux, despite the fact that it's about in the same state.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Most likely you don't have soundflower installed or don't have it configured properly. You need to install it, configure it with SoundFlowerBed (little icon that appears with those other little icons in the upper right), and then set obs to use it as a desktop audio device in audio settings.