OBS redux

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I know that FFmpeg isn't a very easy-to-deal-with dependency at the moment. We'll probably remove that dependency from the core, and add a libav compile path later as well for debian-based users (because they have some sort of stranglehold over debian distros)

kyuser101

I know that FFmpeg isn't a very easy-to-deal-with dependency at the moment. We'll probably remove that dependency from the core, and add a libav compile path later as well for debian-based users (because they have some sort of stranglehold over debian distros)
Good to hear. Will probably make things a lot easier/quicker for users of Debian-based distros!

codl

I'm running Linux, I have an Intel GPU and I saw the latest pull request about mesa 10.2 support, so I updated mesa and obs-studio to try it out.

I get… interesting results: http://f.codl.fr/1405/0BPSHe.png.

X11 SHM capture is upside down, too small, and the wrong ratio. I do have two screens so maybe this has something to do with it, but if I disable one screen only the aspect ratio gets fixed.

The output I get from twitch is even stranger and I can't make any sense of it: http://f.codl.fr/1405/twitch.ts. At least the sound is fine.

I am also able to reproduce both of the crashes that Weegee reported a few posts ago.

Is it too early to report problems like these? If so, apologies. I saw Weegee post a successful capture with X11 SHM so I thought maybe this was an Intel-specific problem. I would love to help out and try to fix this myself, but I have no experience with anything OpenGL or X11-related and so I have no idea where to start looking

SchwarzerAlptraum

So I managed to build it on Mac OSX, but had to comment out the code referencing the AVCaptureInputPort clock property because it wasn't recognizing it. And it ran some errors on the test folder. The display capture window looks fine, and seems to work alright, but when I try to start the stream, I get a black screen on the other end. I'm using the Picarto.tv service though, so maybe that has something to do with it.

By the way, I noticed you were using some translation files: Here's one for German. It's not my first language though, so maybe there are a few grammar errors. Someone can correct it.

EDIT: Just found out why the compiler was complaining about the missing clock property: It's only supported by OS 10.9. Do I need Mavericks to get OBS to work?

Attachments

• de.txt
    3.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

JPL

That would be quite helpful. That discussion I linked a while back about bringing FFmpeg back into Debian/Ubuntu doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast, so unfortunately a large % of Linux users won't have what's needed to use OBS redux out-of-the-box.

Thanks for the ongoing work. I used OBS (non-redux) to stream from Windows the other day and was reminded how well it works, can't wait to do the same from my main OS.

pierpa91

Suggestion:

Would be possible to add some options to rename files? for example, the file is automatically saved with date and a custom name.

koala

I have a suggestion/request for the user interface. If you have the time, which you probably doesn't have (hee, hee).

I'm a user. I want to capture something - a window, a full screen, an application, a camera output, etc. As a user, I don't care for the module, plugin or method that is used to capture the content. I only care for the source itself. So let me first choose what I capture and then give me the choice of the methods that are available for what I chose. Give me a default method that is usually the best capture method for the given source.

With the current OBS, I have to know which capture method is required. Or I have to try the capture methods until I find one that gives me a video. I want that for a given video source candidate that OBS offers me only the methods that actually produce a video output, and I want a default that produces the best output.
I know that is somewhat difficult. It is probably necessary that OBS internally tries every method and "look" if there is some output available and not a black or static screen. But that's nothing special - currently, I as a user am doing this manually. Let OBS do it.

I don't know if my request is comprehensible - I suggest an abstraction layer around the capture methods and expose this layer in the UI. And not the methods directly.

I have a suggestion/request for the user interface. If you have the time, which you probably doesn't have (hee, hee).

I'm a user. I want to capture something - a window, a full screen, an application, a camera output, etc. As a user, I don't care for the module, plugin or method that is used to capture the content. I only care for the source itself. So let me first choose what I capture and then give me the choice of the methods that are available for what I chose. Give me a default method that is usually the best capture method for the given source.

With the current OBS, I have to know which capture method is required. Or I have to try the capture methods until I find one that gives me a video. I want that for a given video source candidate that OBS offers me only the methods that actually produce a video output, and I want a default that produces the best output.
I know that is somewhat difficult. It is probably necessary that OBS internally tries every method and "look" if there is some output available and not a black or static screen. But that's nothing special - currently, I as a user am doing this manually. Let OBS do it.

I don't know if my request is comprehensible - I suggest an abstraction layer around the capture methods and expose this layer in the UI. And not the methods directly.
the problem is that every program is different, and you can't set up a preset for every last program.

sww1235

the problem is that every program is different, and you can't set up a preset for every last program.

My reading of his comment was more of a semi-automated process, whereby obs tries capturing from the specified source with every available capture method, analyzes the generated input for static or blackscreen and then recommends a capture method that generates a valid image. The algorithm would not have to be that sophisticated to detect blackscreens and static only, and it could be upgraded as well to detect more sophisticated forms of video errors. An interesting side effect of doing this, would be the ability to create a database that would record what capture method was chosen for which source and updates the algorithm to make better recommendations based on user choices.

As always, just an idea and looking forward to streaming on mac soon.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
So, I actually just got linux set up on my system today, and ran obs on linux for the first time. Mesa still isn't working properly, though it's getting there, had to get the proprietary drivers still, which is not ideal but okay for the time being.

Linux is indeed very painful to set up right now, as I felt that myself while setting up my build environment. Again, the thing that sucks about it the most for linux users is the need for ffmpeg/libav type libraries, due to that whole forking incident it just makes things really complicated. But that's not all, there's also Qt5, then for some reason the Qt511Extras thing, then the xinerama thing, then you have to add those things to the library search paths. I went through the whole process myself so I felt that pain myself just now.

Getting it working on linux is not easy for non-developers at the moment. I would love it if there were a way to make portable builds that don't have to rely on packages, where I could basically include all the needed dependencies within the library itself, but some of the design of linux seems like it can complicate matters with that, so I'm not sure how feasible something like that may be at the moment. I feel like some sort of script may be the way to go until we can get some sort of package thing going for it.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I'm probably going to start posting work-in-progress builds for mac, because they really don't have much to stream with at the moment, and the mac stuff is actually farther along than the rest of the stuff for some reason. It's doing really nicely.

I'm going to see if I can do it within the next few days -- I'm trying to add some essentials, especially logging information.

There won't be scene editing yet, and bitmaps won't be in yet either though. It'll just be screen capture, device capture, and audio capture at first. I suppose I should think about creating some new forums for mac/linux/etc.

SchwarzerAlptraum

I'm probably going to start posting work-in-progress builds for mac, because they really don't have much to stream with at the moment, and the mac stuff is actually farther along than the rest of the stuff for some reason. It's doing really nicely.

I'm going to see if I can do it within the next few days -- I'm trying to add some essentials, especially logging information.

There won't be scene editing yet, and bitmaps won't be in yet either though. It'll just be screen capture, device capture, and audio capture at first. I suppose I should think about creating some new forums for mac/linux/etc.

Ja, I can confirm the display capture works fine with a Mac, and that it can stream to certain services. The only problem I'm having is that there is no audio output, so I was trying to get it to work with Soundflower, but unsuccessfully. The program seems to recognize Soundflower as an option, but the debug console is having problems recognizing it. Something like "failed to find device with uid: SoundflowerEngine:0 ..." I think I traced it down to something in the find_device_id_by_uid function under the mac-audio.c file in plugins. But I don't have that much experience with Objective C, unfortunately, and haven't had the time to look into it too much. And I've tried a variety of things. Tried changing the desktop audio device options, tried enabling soundflower from system preferences, tried Soundflowerbed, configuring the midi setup app, etc. Not actually sure how much progress there has been with Soundflower or audio output on a Mac though.

JPL

So, I actually just got linux set up on my system today, and ran obs on linux for the first time. Mesa still isn't working properly, though it's getting there, had to get the proprietary drivers still, which is not ideal but okay for the time being.

Linux is indeed very painful to set up right now, as I felt that myself while setting up my build environment. Again, the thing that sucks about it the most for linux users is the need for ffmpeg/libav type libraries, due to that whole forking incident it just makes things really complicated. But that's not all, there's also Qt5, then for some reason the Qt511Extras thing, then the xinerama thing, then you have to add those things to the library search paths. I went through the whole process myself so I felt that pain myself just now.

Getting it working on linux is not easy for non-developers at the moment. I would love it if there were a way to make portable builds that don't have to rely on packages, where I could basically include all the needed dependencies within the library itself, but some of the design of linux seems like it can complicate matters with that, so I'm not sure how feasible something like that may be at the moment. I feel like some sort of script may be the way to go until we can get some sort of package thing going for it.

I think the FFmpeg/libAV issue is the only really vexing problem, everything else was solved by just using a PPA and installing the right packages. I've moved my "trying to get OBS to compile" efforts to the new thread to keep this one less cluttered.

If I/we can find a way around that one error I'm getting relating to position-independent code compilation, I think the total steps for compiling OBS-redux on Ubuntu will actually be pretty straightforward, no more complicated than most other projects' "compiling from source" directions, something I think most Linux early adopters would be willing to deal with.

Njibhu

Mosts of Linux distributions are easy to use because user just have to ask "install package X" and the system care itself the dependencies management. I'm an Archlinux user and for this distro users can send packages to the AUR (archlinux user repository) and why this system is so powerfull is that all the dependencies are managed together without asking the user to download and install each one; and that's the first reason why people use this distro !

The solution of the problem is not to make portable packages.. but to use packages managers (deb and rpm are enough for 90% of distros), because mosts of the users and all the developpers who works on thoses distros hates this kind of packages (because most of the time it brings more problems).

I apologize for my bad english.

robin

Jim i know you said the next fews days thursday when do you think we are talkng. sorry to be a pain just i am a twitch streamer and atm i have hit a wall with fmle. any chance theyres a relativly working verision to download now?