OBS Recordings Lagging Heavily in VEGAS PRO 15 While Previewing Compared to Nvidia Shadowplay Recordings

GoDogChainsaw

These are my settings for OBS recordings:
obs1.png
obs2.png
obs3.png
obs4.png

I own a Acer Predator Helios gaming laptop (the 2022 build) which has a RTX 3070 Ti and a 1440p Screen with a refresh rate of 165hz, and I usually record gaming videos and footages to later edit in Vegas Pro 15.

About three months ago, I got into streaming with OBS so I chose to record with it too (whereas before I always used Nvidia Shadowplay) and I immediately noticed how laggy it was compared to recording with Shadowplay. I have read others have had this issue but I am not really sure what's the solution for this, so I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out.

rockbottom

Preset P4 or P5, P7 is not where it should be. Try CQP rate control too. I use both but there's more control with CQP.

rockbottom

B-Frames will slow your scrub in Vegas as they need to be decoded. Zero them, uncheck Visual Tuning.

I missed your Multipass setting, change it to qres.

rockbottom

Vegas > Options > Preferences > Video
Select the correct GPU for Video Processing.
1704402403392.png

Same as above but File I/O (Decoding)
1704402497860.png

rockbottom

I use Vegas 17 & I also have 14 installed & sometimes will use it. It actually works quite good with NDI recordings, can't say the same for 17.

rockbottom

You're going to need to set this @ 120 or 60HZ. If not, your recordings will be a stuttering mess...
Screen with a refresh rate of 165hz

rockbottom

Nvidia Control Panel:

Monitor Technology - Fixed Refresh, no G-Sync
Texture Filter Quality - Anything except High/Max Quality
Triple Buffering - On
V-sync - Fast

GoDogChainsaw

Nvidia Control Panel:

Monitor Technology - Fixed Refresh, no G-Sync
Texture Filter Quality - Anything except High/Max Quality
Triple Buffering - On
V-sync - Fast
Hi, I read all your suggestions, thank you.

I will try out the first two solutions you gave me when I have time and I'll get back to you. As for the last two suggesitons, is that necassary if I am to only record with OBS? Changing the refrash rate that is and the other settings.

Also, I can't seem to find the File I/O panel for Vegas Pro 15, unsure as to why that is...

rockbottom

This is a great Plugin for Vegas, if you're re-encoding video it is more like a must have as it blows away the encoders that are included. Super fast with NVENC & includes filters (downscaling) that Vegas lacks. I'm still running Nvidia driver 522.30 so I'm using Voukoder v12.2 but if your Nvidia driver is above 531.61, you can use the newest version.

Your recordings will stutter if you don't make all the changes. What you do is up to you but I know what works & what doesn't.

File I/O may not be in that version. I skipped from 14 to 17. 15 & 16 weren't worth the upgrade.