OBS opened causes 30+ fps drops in-game with stream on/off

ZeroTheBIC

All problems begins from don't understand how works computer, e.g. CPU in a second can execute bilions simple order, but only milions a bit more complicated, and thousands of very complicated orders.
Always start checking from lower value (lower resolution, worst settings) and going to up. If on lower settings OBS still have problems - probably your found bug.
Yeah, I tried lower settings too and still have same problem. :(
Gpu: RTX 2060
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Ram: 1x16 gb 3000 MHz :(

DenisOK

Hi. I had a similar problem as yours, if I understood correctly. I just use google translate.

The encoder of my 3070 was constantly overloaded according to OBS, even when I put on the "maximum performance" preset. According to monitoring data, the encoder was ~ 19-39% busy. And everything was fine with the game, and the stream was in the region of 30-40 fps, that is, there was a frame drop.

If you have a similar problem, try using DDU to remove the video card drivers and everything related to them and install them again. It helped me, the encoder is no longer overloaded and there is no frame skipping. Also, the schedule for using the encoder was all roller coaster. After such a reinstallation, he returned to a level position ~25%.

I would be glad if it helps someone!

ZeroTheBIC

Hi. I had a similar problem as yours, if I understood correctly. I just use google translate.

The encoder of my 3070 was constantly overloaded according to OBS, even when I put on the "maximum performance" preset. According to monitoring data, the encoder was ~ 19-39% busy. And everything was fine with the game, and the stream was in the region of 30-40 fps, that is, there was a frame drop.

If you have a similar problem, try using DDU to remove the video card drivers and everything related to them and install them again. It helped me, the encoder is no longer overloaded and there is no frame skipping. Also, the schedule for using the encoder was all roller coaster. After such a reinstallation, he returned to a level position ~25%.

I would be glad if it helps someone!
I used DDU to remove the video card drivers many times but still I have same issue :(

Bigtexgaming

Same issue here. Ryzen 9 5900x w/ RTX 3080Ti. All games run at the locked fps value when just gaming. When I start OBS, with preview disabled, fps in all games drops by about 30. Not even streaming, just opening the program. Trying different things out to see if I can make it go away, will follow up if I get anywhere.
I have been having the same issue ever since Streamlabs obs did an update, games that use to run fine, now half the games I play struggle to stream on my Alienware Laptop 2060 GPU. I have always run my games at 2500 fps. ATs is harder at it then Madden on PC yet I cannot stream Madden. It all pinpoints to the software.

Phenohype

I'm not an OBS expert, so don't take this response as being authoritative.
But hopefully you realize that doing window or screen capture, rendering to the OBS screen, possibly twice if using Studio mode, then encoding for streaming is REALLY demanding on a computer. Make that SUPER demanding Granted you have a upper-end GPU, but there are still internal memory transfer and other I/O constraints, and you are re-scaling on top of things. Seeing your are at Win10 v2004 not sure the differing monitor refresh rates issue applies to your situation.. I think not, but...

Anyways, you post doesn't summarize what you've already tried so not sure how much of the following is obvious, or??

How busy is the CPU, GPU, RAM, disk, network and other I/O when gaming and OBS not running? How many plug-ins are you running in OBS? How optimized is your OBS setup? ie- do you have enough headroom to be running OBS?
For testing purposes, Have you tried keeping Base and output resolution the same (= the monitor you are capturing), and rescaling on Stream output?

It's clear you're not an expert, but still somehow here you are telling people to lower their expectations when there is an actual issue.

I've been streaming with nvenc for 7 years and this is not expected behaviour by any means.

I've just built a system and finished two weeks of steady benchmarks, the problem appeared just the other day, and just stole 10-15 fps from most games, but almost 25 frames in some benchmarks.

Consistent 170 no obs, consistent 145 with it just open, 140 with it running.

This is NOT typical.. I've run this same benchmark at 160 fps while streaming like a hundred times in the last two weeks.

OBS is stealing 15 frames that is wasn't stealing just a day ago.

You are in these threads, being entirely unhelpful bro, go outside.

On the bright side, I seemed to have found a fix. For me I actually found it was better when obs wasn't admin, but it was Display Capture that was primarily causing the issues, setting display capture to windows 10 setting made it better, setting it to game capture completely gave me my frames back. Back to 160 + in the benchmark.

There are over a hundred vods on my twitch that prove this is an issue that just started recently and has nothing to do with hardware limitations or expected behavior of OBS. https://www.twitch.tv/phenohype/videos

Hope that helps

Deullcore

I have same problem random frame drops while recording or streaming but never in game games fps is rock solid at 60 fps , Its definetly a OBS problem because when i siwtch to Mirillis Action , same games same settings its perfect everytime yet OBS gives these random drops to what looks like 30 fps for a moment or two then goes back to normal

Héraès

Same problem : I have a GTX 960 that is strangely using 30% of its GPU when OBS is opened... while I'm actually using a 2nd GPU (a GTX 745) in the same PC to render the stream/preview. I bet it's the transmission of the "image" from the 960 to the 745, but 30% ? Seriously ?

iTouch44

Its me again, i did some Forza Horizon 5 Benchmark Runs
Tested with1440P @120 Hz , Gsync Off , Fixed 120 FPS , High Settings ( Ultra or Extreme is nonsense )

RTX 3090 FE @ Stock
5900X Optimized with 1usmus's Hydra @ ≈ 4,7 GHz All Core
32 GB Ram @ 3800 CL 16-19-16-38
2xWQHD 144hz Monitors @ 1440P 120Hz
Wave 3 with VST's

Admin Mode
Process Priority Above Normal
Output: Nvenc CBR 8000 Kbps
Video :Canvas 1440P, Scaled 1080P , Lancoz , 120 FPS
Plugins : Stream FX and Streamelements

2x Camera
Display Capture Win 10
Some Static Text & One Animated Browser Souce

while Testing i had Zero Missed or Skipped frames in OBS

if u want to know more , ask me

Now the Bench Results at IMGUR , cause pictures say more than words

Last edited:

Wulfscar

I am also experiencing said issue. I open OBS Studio OR SLOBS - without even having begun recording and I lose anywhere from 10%-20% of my frames on the game that I have open. If I close OBS/SLOBS the frames come back. I have compared the usage percent and thermals and they are nowhere near throttled when OBS/SLOBS is opened. I am completely dumbfounded as to why this is happening and has been an issue for some users for such a long time. I really hope someone can find a solution to this as it renders so many of the games that I wish to stream unplayable.

I am running an Intel i7-8700k, and a Gigabyte Windforce 8GB OC RTX 2080, and 16GB of DDR4 3200MHz RAM. Personally OBS and SLOBS were working swimmingly until around mid December.

bravoleader80

Hello guys,
This still looks like a hot topic here and because I'm having the same issue I wanted to understand if someone had found any solution.
The symptoms on my system are the same. The game (star citizen) runs well alone. As soon as I start OBS Studio (just starting, not even streaming) I have a drop in FPS. While playing it is fine but on some specific movements (mainly on "panning so when she ship abruptly turns) I get even higher frame losses. I do run OBs in admin mode. I started having this issue in SLOBS and I thought it was because SLOBS is considered heavier than OBS so I installed OBS, reconfigured ALL my scenes but nothing has really changed, same issue :(.

My system has the following specs
Ryzen 9 5900X
RTX 3080Ti FE
Asus Crosshair VII Dark Hero
64Gb Ram 3600mhz cl18

The system is fully watercooled and I'm currently overclocking the CPU via PBO2(Optimization curve) and same for the GPU via EVGA Precision X1. Thermals are not indicating any throttling while playing (70 C when under heavy load on both CPU and hottest part of GPU)

I read on a forum post here that OBS does not like to be on a 60hz screen if your main screen is a 144hz (or better) so if you have your studio open on the 60hz (same for any oither thing like a browser with a video open, YT or Twitch) you need to disable the preview to have it working.
I think I did that yesterday and it seemed to me the situation was slightly better but I need to run more tests. I've also read from another guy that it helps detaching the mixer panel and moving it on the "gaming" monitor. I have to try all of these changes.

FlegMOAR

I have also the same problem as others and i didn't have it on the old PC (my old PC was 9900K, gigabyte Z390 aorus master, 32gb ram, rtx2080ti).

I'm now running an i9-12900K on ASUS Z690-E, with 32Gb DDR5 6000 MHz (CL36) RAM and RTX3090, and components are nowhere near the limit. I've tried multiple games, and as soon as i open OBS, my FPS goes down by 50% or even more. Its the same if i go with NVENC or x264 encoder, if i add sources or not and if i disable or enable preview. I have 3 screens (165Hz, 240Hz and 270Hz, with the 270Hz screen being my main).

CS:GO FPS Benchmark map:
- without OBS 670 fps
- with OBS (no sources added at all) 450 fps

Warzone:
- without OBS > 200 fps
- with OBS (no sources added) < 100 fps

Cant really tell what is happening, i'm running Windows 11, i've tried disabling nVidia Resizable BAR, defaulting BIOS, etc.

FlegMOAR

Got it figured out - it vas nVidia Broadcast (and its Camera effect).
I wasnt aware that the nVidia Broadcast would halve my FPS ingame, it was supposed to not have that much of an effect. Immidiately after i removed it, i got back to normal FPS (regular few percent drop when compared to without OBS).

kusane

I wasnt aware that the nVidia Broadcast would halve my FPS ingame, it was supposed to not have that much of an effect. Immidiately after i removed it, i got back to normal FPS (regular few percent drop when compared to without OBS).
Thank you so much, this worked for me too :)

bravoleader80

I do not have NVIDIA broadcast installed :( Still having the issue with no apparent solution.

MorbidMurderer

Just want to let people know this was my problem as well. Was using Nvidia broadcast with elgato facecam to have a blurry background. I was going bonkers for quite a while wondering why my fps in Halo dropped from 144 to like 88 when OBS was open. Now my fps is around 130 which is so much better. Thanks a bunch! So stupid that nvidia broadcast being used would do that, I have an RTX 3090 too. Garbage. Now I'm just using elgato facecam as the device not Nvidia broadcast. No more blurry background but who cares.