OBS opened causes 30+ fps drops in-game with stream on/off

dhekos

Hey there, as the title says having OBS open causes a huge fps drop in-game.

Example:

FPS drops below 100 when Opened.

FPS consistently over 140 when Closed.

I'm at my wits end with this, any idea what causes this?

My specs:

3700x
16gb DDR
750W PSU
M2 1TB SSD

Log is here: https://pastebin.com/f0Y3jjxZ

dhekos

1 22:48:51.271: Malwarebytes: disabled (AV) -> deinstall it Windos defender make this job

and when you stream set the FPS to 120 with 144 you have to many frames the numer of frames must be / 30

have you test Nvec with an 3080 its runs like a charm

Malwarebytes is never running when gaming, and I am currently utilizing NVENC.

Lawrence_SoCal

I'm not an OBS expert, so don't take this response as being authoritative.
But hopefully you realize that doing window or screen capture, rendering to the OBS screen, possibly twice if using Studio mode, then encoding for streaming is REALLY demanding on a computer. Make that SUPER demanding Granted you have a upper-end GPU, but there are still internal memory transfer and other I/O constraints, and you are re-scaling on top of things. Seeing your are at Win10 v2004 not sure the differing monitor refresh rates issue applies to your situation.. I think not, but...

Anyways, you post doesn't summarize what you've already tried so not sure how much of the following is obvious, or??

How busy is the CPU, GPU, RAM, disk, network and other I/O when gaming and OBS not running? How many plug-ins are you running in OBS? How optimized is your OBS setup? ie- do you have enough headroom to be running OBS?
For testing purposes, Have you tried keeping Base and output resolution the same (= the monitor you are capturing), and rescaling on Stream output?

Lawrence_SoCal

Oh, and with Microsoft's multi-decade history and plenty of industry experience, I know better than to trust MS Defender to be an adequate solution... so that's not advice I'd recommend most people follow

dhekos

I'm not an OBS expert, so don't take this response as being authoritative.
But hopefully you realize that doing window or screen capture, rendering to the OBS screen, possibly twice if using Studio mode, then encoding for streaming is REALLY demanding on a computer. Make that SUPER demanding Granted you have a upper-end GPU, but there are still internal memory transfer and other I/O constraints, and you are re-scaling on top of things. Seeing your are at Win10 v2004 not sure the differing monitor refresh rates issue applies to your situation.. I think not, but...

Anyways, you post doesn't summarize what you've already tried so not sure how much of the following is obvious, or??

How busy is the CPU, GPU, RAM, disk, network and other I/O when gaming and OBS not running? How many plug-ins are you running in OBS? How optimized is your OBS setup? ie- do you have enough headroom to be running OBS?
For testing purposes, Have you tried keeping Base and output resolution the same (= the monitor you are capturing), and rescaling on Stream output?

During gaming and streaming I use no more than 50-60% of my CPU, 70% of my RAM, GPU gets utilized which is what I like to see. No plugins in OBS, I've tried both with and without plugins.

Sweetwater

Up on this please. I'm having the same issue. FPS on game is fluctuating if I open OBS (Not even recording or streaming) But if I close OBS. The games FPS return back to normal

Lawrence_SoCal

Up on this please. I'm having the same issue. FPS on game is fluctuating if I open OBS (Not even recording or streaming) But if I close OBS. The games FPS return back to normal
did you read the comments above? your symptom is a typical outcome when asking a PC to do more than it is capable of
- real-time video encoding is demanding... so you need plenty of spare resources (CPU, GPU, disk, RAM, etc) to get it to work.
Then there is making sure your OS (operating system), OBS, plug-ins, etc all set correctly for your systems capabilities. OBS settings for an under-powered PC is very different from a powerful workstation class machine.
so don't re-use an old thread, post a new thread, and read the pinned post about a log file.

Last edited:

Halltron

OP did you ever find a fix for this? I have been having the same issue and have tried every "fix" I can find with no outcome.

TeX_G

Is there any solution to this?

I am going through the same thing right now ! My hardware is pretty much the same .. except the GPU is 3070.

Help me out if you found a fix

Hey there, as the title says having OBS open causes a huge fps drop in-game.

Example:

My specs:

3700x
16gb DDR
750W PSU
M2 1TB SSD

Log is here: https://pastebin.com/f0Y3jjxZ

Lawrence_SoCal

@Halltron & @TeX_G - yes there is a solution (not a fix as the only thing broken is your expectations), as explained above.
The 'fix' is figuring out where the bottleneck is on your specific setup. Generic advice will focus on either reducing system load, or getting more resources (bigger/faster PC)... doing so may or may not be easy... so looking for a simple answer is most likely a waste of time

TeX_G

@Halltron & @TeX_G - yes there is a solution (not a fix as the only thing broken is your expectations), as explained above.
The 'fix' is figuring out where the bottleneck is on your specific setup. Generic advice will focus on either reducing system load, or getting more resources (bigger/faster PC)... doing so may or may not be easy... so looking for a simple answer is most likely a waste of time

Ok.

iTouch44

Well, My Rig -> Ryzen 5900X - RTX 3080 - 32GB Ram and i have the same
If i open OBS while i test here TestUFO , my fps drops .. and the fix for this is , to disable the Preview in OBS

Lawrence_SoCal

If i open OBS while i test here TestUFO , my fps drops .. and the fix for this is , to disable the Preview in OBS

Always a good idea to RTFM (OBS quick start guide) and understand what you are asking your PC to do
Running OBS in Studio Mode means dual encoding (Preview Window and Live Window/whatever its called)
So, yea, turning off the Preview window reduces the video encoding load by ~1/2... of course it makes a difference. And my point still stands, you have a bottleneck, and it is a user's responsibility to figure it out. Real-time encoding is computationally demanding. Having an ultra machine such as @iTouch44 has means it is harder to reach threshold, but not impossible, especially when you add really high load with demanding gameplay, and then use high stream/recording settings. There is a reason why professional video editors have much beefier workstations (ThreadRipper, not Ryzan, way more RAM, and multi-GPU setups).

Choppertown

Always a good idea to RTFM (OBS quick start guide) and understand what you are asking your PC to do
Running OBS in Studio Mode means dual encoding (Preview Window and Live Window/whatever its called)
So, yea, turning off the Preview window reduces the video encoding load by ~1/2... of course it makes a difference. And my point still stands, you have a bottleneck, and it is a user's responsibility to figure it out. Real-time encoding is computationally demanding. Having an ultra machine such as @iTouch44 has means it is harder to reach threshold, but not impossible, especially when you add really high load with demanding gameplay, and then use high stream/recording settings. There is a reason why professional video editors have much beefier workstations (ThreadRipper, not Ryzan, way more RAM, and multi-GPU setups).
Lawrence, with all due respect I literally joined this forum to comment on this thread. I have been streaming my gameplay semi-professionally for over a year and this problem suddenly appeared. Exactly as described above. For you to simply say "it's a bottleneck" seems a bit condescending when it's obviously a real problem. Similar to the above posters, after streaming at a very high bitrate 2k without issue, suddenly after a recent update it seems, just by opening the OBS program (stream elements version) my frames dive. I turn it off, they rise again to normal. It's something with OBS.

Lawrence_SoCal

Lawrence, with all due respect I literally joined this forum to comment on this thread. I have been streaming my gameplay semi-professionally for over a year and this problem suddenly appeared. Exactly as described above. For you to simply say "it's a bottleneck" seems a bit condescending when it's obviously a real problem. Similar to the above posters, after streaming at a very high bitrate 2k without issue, suddenly after a recent update it seems, just by opening the OBS program (stream elements version) my frames dive. I turn it off, they rise again to normal. It's something with OBS.

Basic education (should) covers scientific method and an understanding that a similar (but common) symptom, doesn't indicate causation
And your description does NOT indicate it is something with OBS. at all. for multiple reasons
1. you aren't even running OBS Studio? but instead a forked version from a company known for even worse s/w code quality?
2. PEBKAC /id10t related - someone indicating surprise to learn that running 2 very demanding workloads simultaneously might have a performance impact - which is NOT a real 'problem' just a reasonably foreseeable reality...
oh, and blaming 1 of the demanding workloads vs the other... just silly​

As for change/updates and troubleshooting, In general, Many users fail to account for OS and h/w driver updates, such that there are multiple changes that happen, not just OBS. And Win10 updates have NOT been know for their quality. If in your case, if the issue is a specific update (example OBS Studio v27 or v27.0.1)... then doing a bug report is appropriate, not commenting on a 6+ month old thread which was NOT about OBS v27. Or might it be related to the MS KB being released this week in regards to gaming performance?

At times I've had more free time, but if I'm busy, with my volunteer time I will be brief to point people in the right direction. Whining will get at best an annoyed reaction from me. I'll now unwatch/ ignore this thread

Choppertown

Basic education (should) covers scientific method and an understanding that a similar (but common) symptom, doesn't indicate causation
And your description does NOT indicate it is something with OBS. at all. for multiple reasons
1. you aren't even running OBS Studio? but instead a forked version from a company known for even worse s/w code quality?
2. PEBKAC /id10t related - someone indicating surprise to learn that running 2 very demanding workloads simultaneously might have a performance impact - which is NOT a real 'problem' just a reasonably foreseeable reality...
oh, and blaming 1 of the demanding workloads vs the other... just silly​

As for change/updates and troubleshooting, In general, Many users fail to account for OS and h/w driver updates, such that there are multiple changes that happen, not just OBS. And Win10 updates have NOT been know for their quality. If in your case, if the issue is a specific update (example OBS Studio v27 or v27.0.1)... then doing a bug report is appropriate, not commenting on a 6+ month old thread which was NOT about OBS v27. Or might it be related to the MS KB being released this week in regards to gaming performance?

At times I've had more free time, but if I'm busy, with my volunteer time I will be brief to point people in the right direction. Whining will get at best an annoyed reaction from me. I'll now unwatch/ ignore this thread
Your reaction matters not. Now that he's gone we can work on finding solutions rather just putting everyone down who tries to explain their problem and reaches out for advice. To all the other folks on this thread, I did find that setting the Process Priority in the Advanced Settings tab to Normal seems to have helped add back some FPS to the game. Has anyone else tried this?

Scur3k

914 / 5000
Wyniki tłumaczenia
Hello, my spec is: i9 10900K; RTX 3070 and 32GB RAM 3200MHz. For example, I play Warzone. I reach around 180fps. I fire up OBS, frame drop by about 30! I've tried everything, I've been streaming for a year and still haven't fixed it. I deleted all possible scenes and alerts to make sure they didn't affect the fall, unfortunately none of that. OBS run as administrator, game mode enabled, process priority: normal. Sampling frequency 48kHz (the whole system including audio devices) Processor loaded about 50%. I also combined with the result resolution - to no avail. I note that I have never had problems with coding or encoder overload, stream without preview and smooth. It is impossible that our equipment is too weak. There has to be a solution. If someone succeeds, please help. Finally, I would like to apologize for my English, I used the translator. Best regards.

The_Nothing

Same issue here. Ryzen 9 5900x w/ RTX 3080Ti. All games run at the locked fps value when just gaming. When I start OBS, with preview disabled, fps in all games drops by about 30. Not even streaming, just opening the program. Trying different things out to see if I can make it go away, will follow up if I get anywhere.

Tomasz Góral

All problems begins from don't understand how works computer, e.g. CPU in a second can execute bilions simple order, but only milions a bit more complicated, and thousands of very complicated orders.
Always start checking from lower value (lower resolution, worst settings) and going to up. If on lower settings OBS still have problems - probably your found bug.