OBS on Apple Silicon

upturbo00

Everything is super with @callimeron version on mac mini m1 macOS 12.1 but is there any solution for the promblem with Apple VT Hardware encoder streaming? Cannot Set bitrate at all. whateaver I set up its sending stream at full of my upload speed and nothing can do with it

AmurgEtern

Everything is super with @callimeron version on mac mini m1 macOS 12.1 but is there any solution for the promblem with Apple VT Hardware encoder streaming? Cannot Set bitrate at all. whateaver I set up its sending stream at full of my upload speed and nothing can do with it
https://imgur.com/a/qDAQw5N <-- These are my settings and they works pretty well, my only problem is that it's not streaming at 60 FPS even though it's set to 60, it changes mid stream.

palermo

hi all, the last obs-version posted here (27.1.3 arm64) works well on my mba m1 w/ big sur.
but most of the plugins like streamfx and NDI dont work here. it looks like everything is installed well, but they dont show up in obs. i tried a lot - using diff. places like usr/lib/.. and library/application support/.. and direct in the obs.app-packet. no idea... any hints? or a ready to install pkg with all plugins (just dreaming... ;) thx in advance

palermo

part 2:
on the regular obs 27.1.3 (not arm-compiled) i see the ndi-source, i can select it, but without picture. in NDI Video Monitor i can see the streams...

StrayTexel

So I take it this thread means you can NOT download a version of OBS that just works on an M1 Mac?

Correct. Not yet at least.

Folks argue that Rosetta can handle the Intel build fine, but in my experience (M1 Pro) that is not true at all, at least in an NDI-in, 6000 bps 1080p-out situation.

SHentschke

There was once a rumor that version 27.2 should get BETA support for the Apple silicon chips.
Unfortunately, in the release note of V 27.2 BETA 2, I don't find anything about M1 support.

palermo

ndi is only working in the NOT-M1-Version...at least here...looks like i ve to move back to my i9900 build. ;)

Fbosman

So I take it this thread means you can NOT download a version of OBS that just works on an M1 Mac?
It depends what you need. We are running on Mac mini m1 on silicon. Not using sdi or ndi but rtsp up camera’s and media sources. No problems and great performance.

StrayTexel

This isn't true. I've been running the Intel via Rosetta 2 with no issues for my FB and Youtube live streams.

If you're not compositing a ton of streams via NDI, I'm sure Rosetta is fine. But for me, perf w/ Rosetta + M1 Pro simply trying to do exactly what I do on native Intel (3-4 600-800p 30/60 inputs -> 1080p/60 output) is dropping frames like they're hot.

djsammm

For me to stream with OBS and Serato DJ (both use Rosetta), I find it drops many frames and looks very choppy. I have a M1Max 32 Graphic Core 64GB RAM and 4TB storage... Unless my configuration is off, the performance is such that I cannot use this as a solution.

thbe

Correct. Not yet at least.

Folks argue that Rosetta can handle the Intel build fine, but in my experience (M1 Pro) that is not true at all, at least in an NDI-in, 6000 bps 1080p-out situation.

It depends on what you're doing. If native ARM-based OBS consumes 5% CPU and Intel/ Rosetta OBS 10%, then the statement is true that Rosetta can handle the Intel build fine. But based on my experience, this is only true, if you run OBS stand-alone or with something that doesn't consume much CPU either. If you run multiple apps in parallel and all or most of them are Intel builds, the performance becomes an issue. Based on the fact that the unofficial builds for M1 ARM run very well, I would assume it's not a programming issue but more around the CI pipeline and the fact that there is no M1 ARM runner within GitHub Actions that blocks the official ARM release.

ibrahima

obs-studio-27.2.0-beta2(arm64)

Thanks for uploading this and the other builds, I'm getting "OBS is damaged and cannot be opened" on the OBS.app file after copying it over to the applications folder and when opening straight from the DMG file. Haven't had this issue with the other builds, I've just checked the DMG for obs-studio-27.1.3 and that is opening ok.

If this is opening ok for you please let me know, likewise if anyone else is having the same problem or if it is opening ok please let me know.

Separate note on the Stream FX builds, I've noticed that the 3D Transform filter doesn't seem to be having an effect on the recent builds that have been shared. Has anyone else checked this and had similar?

ibrahima

Thanks for uploading this and the other builds, I'm getting "OBS is damaged and cannot be opened" on the OBS.app file after copying it over to the applications folder and when opening straight from the DMG file. Haven't had this issue with the other builds, I've just checked the DMG for obs-studio-27.1.3 and that is opening ok.

If this is opening ok for you please let me know, likewise if anyone else is having the same problem or if it is opening ok please let me know.

Separate note on the Stream FX builds, I've noticed that the 3D Transform filter doesn't seem to be having an effect on the recent builds that have been shared. Has anyone else checked this and had similar?

ok I think I've solved my Stream FX issue, I was using a build that doesn't include fix from this pull request: https://github.com/Xaymar/obs-StreamFX/pull/701/files

I put the changes into the relevant transform.effect file by hand (probably not a great idea but it seems to work!)

Fingers crossed we'll see supported builds from both projects in the next few years or so.