OBS not starting on M1 Max / Sonoma 14

lontage

Hello together,
I loved using OBS for many years now, but sadly, since I switched to my new M1 Max MacBook Pro, OBS is not starting. It's just jumping in the dock and it says "Application not responding".
I tried clearing the library folders and reinstalling the whole application, but nothing works.
In the console, the process "replayd" crashes whenever I open OBS, I attached 3 crash dumps to this post.
I hope anyone else had this problem, fixed it and can share the solution with me.
Thanks for your answers!

Attachments

• IPS.zip
    21 KB · Views: 59

mishakim

It's working on my first-gen M1 13" Pro, but not my M2 Air. 29.x just bounced, I tried updating to 30.0 just now, and it doesn't bounce more than once, but it doesn't load. If I try the new Safe Mode option, it hangs there (with the prompt still shown), it's just beach balled at that point. If I choose Normal mode the prompt goes away and the Advanced Scene Switcher box flashes by, but the app doesn't open. It's menu (just the OBS menu) was there briefly, but I can't switch back to it and the dock knows it's hung (offering force quit on right-click menu without option key). Not sure how to get logs when stuck at this point.

lontage

Hi, on my machine (M1 Max MBP 14") it started to work again... Did nothing but updating to macOS 14.1.1. I don't how long it lasts but currently it's working for me

Mikey_FX

OBS wouldn't load at all on my machine when I updated it months ago, so I deleted it. It seems that I'm going to need it again though, so I downloaded and reinstalled the latest version, only to find that I'm having the same issue, excpet it now gives me the option to restart in safe mode. ANyone have any thoughts or solutions? Thanks!!!

TFE

Same issue for me. OBS hangs on start-up (M1 MBP) with small screen offering to start in safe mode or normal. Neither works. Tried deleting and re-installing OBS to no avail. Have upgraded MacOS to 14.1.1 and that has not solved the problem, notwithstanding Mr Lontage's comment above.

lontage

Same issue for me. OBS hangs on start-up (M1 MBP) with small screen offering to start in safe mode or normal. Neither works. Tried deleting and re-installing OBS to no avail. Have upgraded MacOS to 14.1.1 and that has not solved the problem, notwithstanding Mr Lontage's comment above.
yes, sorry for providing false information, sadly my OBS won’t start at all now. Didn’t do anything, sadly… It also doesn’t offer to start in safe mode.

mishakim

I got it to load by doing a clean install - wipe out both the obs-settings folder in ~/Library/Application Support, and the application itself. Reinstall after that worked fine. You loose settings of course -- I haven't experimented with restoring any of those from backup.

TFE

Thanks, mishakim. That worked, sort of, for me. OBS 30 now starts up on M1 MBP running 14.1.1. However, upon start-up of OBS I get the error message, "NDI Runtime not found." After clicking on "OK" OBS starts up after about 20 seconds. I have downloaded and installed Runtime (I think), and re-started the machine, but still get the error message, and the same behavior after clicking "OK". And NDI appears not to be working within OBS. Advice would be much appreciated.

gadgetmanjay

Hi Everyone. New here, but same here, Ive installed, removed, wiped, deleted and reinstalled to Mac mini M1, but when I try to open it I get he 'safe' mode' option, but selecting either gives me the spinning wheel of death!

I also noticed that while its (haha) 'loading' if I open Chrome browser up it seems to affect it and webpages are blanked out!

I need to get this working as I'm supposed to be doing a 'Stream For Diabetes' fundraiser soon!

mishakim

Thanks, mishakim. That worked, sort of, for me. OBS 30 now starts up on M1 MBP running 14.1.1. However, upon start-up of OBS I get the error message, "NDI Runtime not found." After clicking on "OK" OBS starts up after about 20 seconds. I have downloaded and installed Runtime (I think), and re-started the machine, but still get the error message, and the same behavior after clicking "OK". And NDI appears not to be working within OBS. Advice would be much appreciated.
Not certain, but you might try reinstalling the NDI plugin. Last time I updated it, it looked like it had a more robust flow for finding the runtime.

TFE

I did, and seems not to have helped. Regardless, something is not right. Moreover, not all is perfect on my main streaming machine, a MacStudio running Sonoma 14.1.1 and OBS 29.1.3 (haven't updated to 30.0 given the problems per this thread on my M1 MacBook Pro, which serves as the guinea pig for any updates). The Virtual Camera (program out) no longer works to Skype or Zoom. Nor can I get NDI program out to work as a Camera input on Skype or Zoom on any of the Macs on my network. It used to work fine. OBS NDI program out from the MacStudio does get picked up no problem by NDI Virtual Monitor running on any of the other Macs on my network. Have had to go back to wired HDMI connections. Not sure what's up with all this; any suggestion much appreciated.

I am having the same issue all of a sudden. It was working up until a week or so ago, now nothing I do will make it launch. I have uninstalled, deleted the settings folder, rebooted, etc. Nothing. It will just give me the option to launch normally or in safe mode, and no matter which one I press, it wont launch

M2 - Sonoma 14.2.1, latest OBS release (just tested again, no dice)
Any possible solutions?

kinggeno1

The only slight solution I have found is closing chrome. It seems to up the chances of the software opening, besides that I just keep force quitting and switching between both of the options Open in Safe Mode, and Run Normally. It eventually works just annoying