Obs mic sound lowering in mid sentence multiple times.

Gannan307

My mic levels don't stay consistant, so when I'm streaming some words while talking are harder to hear than others. I followed some mic guides online but none of them are fixing my issue. This is also my first time posting on here so I'm not sure what all I need to add.

I was ghoing to attached a video example but it won't let me. It bounces anywhere from -5dB to -30dB while talking at a consistent voice level.

PaiSand

Are you at the same distance of the microphone? Some mics are more sensitive than others and moving 10cm away makes a lot of a difference.
Also, filters? Are you using a third party app or hardware in between the mic and the system/OBS?

Gannan307

Are you at the same distance of the microphone? Some mics are more sensitive than others and moving 10cm away makes a lot of a difference.
Also, filters? Are you using a third party app or hardware in between the mic and the system/OBS?
I have some filters yes. A Compressor, Extender, VST, Noise Suppression, and Limiter. I have tried playing around with them with no change.

Also it is a headset mic so there isn't much movement. No hardware in-between the mic and the PC.

PaiSand

From the filters, the only one I can see may be causing the issue is the Noise Supression. In wich order do you implemented them?

PaiSand

Noise Supresion must be first. If you compress the audio with the noise in it you get louder noise.
Wich VST are you using? EQ?
Normally when using compresion isn't needed a limiter, the signal is already limited.

I use the gate noise provided by voicemeeter and send that to OBS, where I only use EQ and Compresion:
2022-08-05_102535.png

This are ReaPlugs VST. Powerfull and great quality for my needs.

Like many other things, the more you add to the chain the more issues you may get.

Gannan307

Noise Supresion must be first. If you compress the audio with the noise in it you get louder noise.
Wich VST are you using? EQ?
Normally when using compresion isn't needed a limiter, the signal is already limited.

I use the gate noise provided by voicemeeter and send that to OBS, where I only use EQ and Compresion:
View attachment 85322

This are ReaPlugs VST. Powerfull and great quality for my needs.

Like many other things, the more you add to the chain the more issues you may get.
I tested turning noise suppression off and that did not fix it. It seems to be the expander causing the issue. When I turn off the expander it seems to go away. I am using Marvel GEQ VST

I am using Marb

sandrix

Use the following plugin order
Noise Suppression/ Noise Gate/ Equalizer (VST)/ Compressor/ Limiter
Plugin order matters as PaiSand said

The expander is usually used to restore over-compressed or over-limited recordings that have their peaks "killed". You probably don't need it.

More recently, my client faced a similar problem on Win 11. The reason turned out to be the enabled Auto Gain Control in Discord