Question / Help OBS interprets audio sample rate wrongly, causes desync

TomKnowsWhatsUp

Hey all,

At work, we recently got a Roland VR-1HD as our AV mixer. I feed the signal from the Roland into OBS to mix in some additional elements and content before I stream it to out Youtube channel. For comparison, you can think of the setup as a sort of overkill Elgato capture card feeding into OBS.

Unfortunately I'm experiencing a weird issue with audio desynchronisation over time. Video and audio run in sync for about 30-40 minutes, then audio cuts out briefly, and resumes where it was cut off. This keeps on repeating, meaning audio starts lagging behind significantly during long streaming/recording sessions. The monitor and audio meters will still look like they're in sync, but the output file is not. I think I have pinpointed the problem to the following, but I have no idea how to fix it. Any input would be very welcome.

The Roland is spec'ed to output 48 khz over its USB cable.
Screenshot_27.png

And indeed, Windows seems to take it as such. The drop-down menu is grayed out but shows the parameters we would expect.
Screenshot_26.png

So naturally I've set OBS output at 48 khz as well.
Screenshot_28.png

But when I look at the logs, OBS seems to interpret the Audio Device side of the Roland as 44.1 khz.
Screenshot_25.png

Like I say, any thoughts, ideas or janky workarounds would be welcome :)

Cheers!
Tom

TomKnowsWhatsUp

Update: I've tested setting the OBS output sample rate to 44.1 khz and it works. After two hours of test recording, there is no de-synchronization, which just leaves me even more confused. I'm glad to have a workaround, but it's a workaround that doesn't seem to make sense.

Edit: of course it's plausible that the hardware is reporting outputting at 48 but not actually doing so. One of the links in the chain is wrong either way.

Last edited: