OBS holds when switching Windows from full-screen Minecraft

I'm trying to record Minecraft in full-screen with OBS Game Capture, but every time I change windows out of the game, OBS holds at the last frame right before I change (It's still recording, but only that last frame before I switch back into Minecraft window), but the game is still running in the background. How do I make it so that OBS doesn't do this?

CasualMess

I have the exact same issue and I am trying to figure out how to disable that freeze frame. Here is a quick solution however. If you put whatever game you are running in "full screen window" you will be able to capture the game without the capture freezing on the last frame when you alt tab. You will have to go into OBS and change the capture mode to "capture specific window". The only downside to this is that it does hinder performance slightly. I am gonna keep looking for a fix for the fullscreen mode. Let me know if you come up with anything.

koala

Games running in exclusive fullscreen mode stop rendering, if you tab away and the game is not in focus any more. That's not an OBS issue. It's a Windows behavior, present ever since.
The solution is to not run the game in exclusive fullscreen mode. Common game modes today are windowed or fullscreen windowed. Any performance penalty for fullscreen windowed in comparíson to exclusive fullscreen is almost non present with modern video games and current video drivers.

CasualMess

Games running in exclusive fullscreen mode stop rendering, if you tab away and the game is not in focus any more. That's not an OBS issue. It's a Windows behavior, present ever since.
The solution is to not run the game in exclusive fullscreen mode. Common game modes today are windowed or fullscreen windowed. Any performance penalty for fullscreen windowed in comparíson to exclusive fullscreen is almost non present with modern video games and current video drivers.
I figured as much. In my case I do lose about 10ish frames when running in fullscreen window for whatever reason. Sucks but it isn't that big of a deal since I run that game well above 144fps usually. And it doesn't really require me to run it at high fps anyway. Thank you!

ChrisLive

Right-click, Display Capture Device -> Properties -> Capture Method: Automatic
worked for me just now, but it really depends on the app or game.

It's so weird because some games/windows I have to force-WIndows10 (1903 and up) (no Windows 11 yet?) in order to get the Screent to display OR if I'm having technical issues with Monitor 1 + Monitor 2 not displaying or overriding eachother. (I also thought there was a default or legacy capture option, but maybe it was removed or i'm incorrect) And sometimes just exit/re-launching OBS just works...

Attachments

• display_obs.png
    display_obs.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 16