OBS Freezing my whole PC

CrazyKreza

Hey guys, when I launch OBS it freezes my whole PC on startup so I have to force shutdown my PC (by pressing the button on the computer). My specs are pretty good, around 2 - 3 months ago I used to record CS:GO videos and it all worked fine without lags and stutters, but one day it just stopped working. Basically, when I launch OBS it just freezes my whole PC and I can't do anything about it, can't move my mouse and stuff like that. I've updated all of my chipset, graphic card, audio and other drivers, but none of that helped out. I can post a log file, but it doesn't show anything wrong. I tried to re-install it on the other drive, other locations but it didn't work too.

My PC specs:
AMD Radeon 580 RX
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
8GB's of installed RAM Memory

shansmi

well if the OBS logs show nothing, try the windows logs in the event viewer or let it sit for 10 mins or so until you get the "stop code" aka the modern BSOD. Have your phone handy to take a pic of the code itself.

CrazyKreza

well if the OBS logs show nothing, try the windows logs in the event viewer or let it sit for 10 mins or so until you get the "stop code" aka the modern BSOD. Have your phone handy to take a pic of the code itself.
I literally can't do that, OBS instantly crashes when I launch it and I can't open anything, I have to turn off my PC by holding the button. Can't open any program or anything, can't move my mouse and shit

shansmi

I literally can't do that, OBS instantly crashes when I launch it and I can't open anything, I have to turn off my PC by holding the button. Can't open any program or anything, can't move my mouse and shit
Yes you can. When it crashes do nothing besides wait and watch with your phone handy. If after waiting and watching for 10 minutes yields nothing i.e. no stop code, do you button thing. You should know the crash time so you can look in the windows event viewer once the PC restarts for the crash time...

Lawrence_SoCal

Specs on PC are pretty good? uh ... no, unless there is a typo... an i5-4460 is 8 generations old (and under-powered for modern real-time video encoding... doable, with expertise in OS and OBS optimization, with plenty of limitations and caveats.)
Did you ever have OBS working? a not uncommon issue is out-of-date video drivers. Are you on Win10?
do you have 3rd party plugins installed in OBS?
see my .sig for resource links

shansmi

Specs on PC are pretty good? uh ... no, unless there is a typo... an i5-4460 is 8 generations old (and under-powered for modern real-time video encoding... doable, with expertise in OS and OBS optimization, with plenty of limitations and caveats.)
Did you ever have OBS working? a not uncommon issue is out-of-date video drivers. Are you on Win10?

I use OBS on a ASUS TUFF FX516PM and have noticed OBS pushes that machine pretty good when recording videos locally. I am running 3 USBc HD 1080p@60FPS cameras, an analog mixer that comes in as a USB3 audio interface for my drums as well as another USB audio interface for voice. I don't stream but my guess is it would drive that machine pretty high has well.

CrazyKreza

Considering i could stream GTA with max graphics on 70-80 fps, yes the PC is good

AsheK

So I just want to register that I've been having this issue too.
Here's what I have observed thus far:

1. This is a recent phenomenon, I had been using OBS with no problems in the years before that - last used around November 2021 with no issue, and I returned to it a couple of months ago and observed the issue at that point..
2. If I delete the settings and start up, it will boot, however if I add a screen, window, or game capture, and sometimes webcam, it instantly freezes everything and rebooting the computer is the only way to fix it. At least most of the time. Other times it may function as expected, but the next time I use it, it will crash.
3. System info:
Graphics Card - AMD Radeon RX 560 series
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 24.0 GB

I am going to update my graphics software and drivers if I can and see what happens

AsheK

OK Here is my update.
Updating my drivers seems to have fixed the problem. But due to the sometimes unpredictable nature of the problem, I'll let you know if it happens again.

cvydarb

crashed 3 times in one night, restarted computer, froze my entire computer.. never had ANY issues until the last few days