Question / Help [OBS] Enforce Streaming Service Encoder Settings

Scruby

Hey, I was wondering about the setting called 'Enforce Streaming Service Encoder Settings'
When I use it, it will steam 6k bitrate video to twitch, but does the bitrate I have told OBS to stream at having any say in how it looks?

Like, does it capture the game at (Let's say 10k Bitrate) and then convert it to 6k and then sends it to twitch? (if I am telling obs to stream at 10k that is)
or does it straight up, capture and stream it in 6k and call it a day?

cause if it is the first option I mentioned, won't that mean I can make it look like I am encoding it with x264 when I am actually encoding it with Nvenc 'High bitrate'
or am I completely lost?

EDIT: Ok, I didn't want to sit and wait for an answer so I decided to check it out myself [By Testing]. it turns out that the setting well just capture and stream it 6k, no matter what you type in [Bitrate] it won't have an effect.

Last edited:

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
The setting enforces an upper limit on bitrate and sets the appropriate keyframe interval for you, based on the settings the service recommends. Twitch for example recommend no more than 6mbps, so if you entered 10mbps in OBS, it would drop to 6mbps if you streamed to Twitch with the option enabled. If you entered 3mbps, it would still use 3mbps. If you turned the option off and had 10mbps set, OBS would send 10mbps to Twitch which may result in you losing Source stream quality or running into other issues.

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper
Expanding on R1CH's answer:

OBS' Game Capture does not have a bitrate limit at all, it's designed to be "what you see is what you get". The checkbox you mentioned only affects the encoder, which is the part OBS sends its output to (the last part of the chain). This could be x264, for example, which then forwards it to Twitch.

Scruby

Expanding on R1CH's answer:

OBS' Game Capture does not have a bitrate limit at all, it's designed to be "what you see is what you get". The checkbox you mentioned only affects the encoder, which is the part OBS sends its output to (the last part of the chain). This could be x264, for example, which then forwards it to Twitch.
Yeah, I know. but when I asked the OBS discord community they said something else, so I just had to ask the forum instead and see what you guys said.