Question / Help OBS Encoding Rendering lag issue on a 2080TI (NVENC)

MoGames

Hi All,

I have issues with streaming using OBS. I have tried multiple combination of settings the internet advised with no luck, youtube , fourms...you name it.

I have attached a log file for your review

Please help.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2019-03-06 23-47-50_OBS Log.txt
    8.2 KB · Views: 148

Fam3mon5ster

He's on new per the log - There is something going on with the new nvenc - go back to old nvenc and redo your same test - and post the log curious to see what it looks like - i have a very similar setup and i see your on ultrawide screen - trying to figure out if its ultrawide res related -!

MoGames

He's on new per the log - There is something going on with the new nvenc - go back to old nvenc and redo your same test - and post the log curious to see what it looks like - i have a very similar setup and i see your on ultrawide screen - trying to figure out if its ultrawide res related -!
Hi, I will do this in the evening and post a log, I have also done a test previously using CPU encoding with the same issue. My hypothesis is windows will not give any sort oh HP to OBS and diverts all resources to the game application perhaps?

Last edited:

MoGames

@Fam3mon5ster @elbeegaming
So I ran RE2 with the following:

- NVENC new capped at 60fps - smooth stream no issues
- NVENC new variable fps - Encoding issue
- NVENC old Variable fps - Render Lag issue
- X264 - render lag issues

I have attached Logs for your review. Please advise.

Attachments

• 2019-03-08 19-04-43_ Game Running Locked at 60fps.txt
    11.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 2019-03-08 19-04-43_NVENC_Old_Variable_FPS.txt
    16.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 2019-03-08 19-04-43_Variable Framerate.txt
    13.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 2019-03-08 19-04-43_Variable Framerate_CPU_Encoding.txt
    18.4 KB · Views: 26

MoGames

So after constant testing I have found the issue. It is the ultra wide resolution that causing issue. I streamed alot of frames on my 16:9 4k TV set and everything went smooth.

Ill keep this updated if I run into further issues

Fam3mon5ster

So after constant testing I have found the issue. It is the ultra wide resolution that causing issue. I streamed alot of frames on my 16:9 4k TV set and everything went smooth.

Ill keep this updated if I run into further issues

sorry I was outta town didn't really have time to get back to this - I looked at the logs and looks weird that it worked fine 1st and then lagged or skipped after a stop and start - you said you found the issue that it was the ultrawide resolution? seems like just changing back to a 16:9 screen everything went good? is this correct? if so dont you get the "squeezed" look on your stream now? I tried that tactic too going from 3440x1440 to say 1280x720 but in my experience I got a squeezed look going from 21:9 aspect to 16:9 - I just went with another lower resolution to avoid that and also be able to stream "ultrawide"- Me personally I found that resolution at "1332x558" seems to be very respectable @5k- 6k bitrate for twitch. anything higher (resolution wise) in my experience seem to give off this "laggy" look to the stream as if I wasn't streaming at 60 fps but I was.

I also noticed that you got alot going on for obs to process- main screen looks to be a 3440x1440 screen and a 1920x1080 for your 2nd screen and also trying to encode at 2064x864 or 2292x960 - and then your gaming on it. you got alot going on there for nvenc to process. im sure obs has been optimized since but I remember being on the forums years ago when users first adopted the ultrawide monitors and i was researching if people had issues using that resolution in general while streaming - most if not all at the time were in fact having trouble streaming with dual monitors or more - back then the way to resolve it was just disconnecting the 2nd screen completely -I know its not the ideal fix being that some of us need the 2nd screen but hey FYI maybe give it a shot during your testing- me personally I cant get my gpu to act like yours is maybe because im not running a 2nd screen - ill retry later tonight -

on another note GPU's have advanced since my initial look into ultrawide streaming and our rtx cards can hold their own so it may not be a screen issue- I just have a hunch that our resolutions haven't gotten much love in general - I know alot of games are adopting it now but programs like obs for instance I personally believe its a hit or miss just like in games like I think it sees our resolution and freaks out for some reason lol weird I know but say streaming at 1920x1080 I get no trouble but introduce trouble*at times* when trying to push a ultrawide resolution. I feel that maybe obs can hit or miss with processing the weird horizontal / vertical pixels we ask it to do at times then you got other concerns for instance I found out that on twitch if you choose say one of the predetermined resolution that obs gives i believe is 1470x630? or 640 something - anything above resolution gives users on mobile or tablets issues - may look fine on your pc - but rip hand held users - I personally even found out trying to watch mystream on say xbox twitch app it was scaled incorrectly like it could not process a 21:9 resolution which is concerning cause i dont know how many people its effecting you know?

MoGames

sorry I was outta town didn't really have time to get back to this - I looked at the logs and looks weird that it worked fine 1st and then lagged or skipped after a stop and start - you said you found the issue that it was the ultrawide resolution? seems like just changing back to a 16:9 screen everything went good? is this correct? if so dont you get the "squeezed" look on your stream now? I tried that tactic too going from 3440x1440 to say 1280x720 but in my experience I got a squeezed look going from 21:9 aspect to 16:9 - I just went with another lower resolution to avoid that and also be able to stream "ultrawide"- Me personally I found that resolution at "1332x558" seems to be very respectable @5k- 6k bitrate for twitch. anything higher (resolution wise) in my experience seem to give off this "laggy" look to the stream as if I wasn't streaming at 60 fps but I was.

I also noticed that you got alot going on for obs to process- main screen looks to be a 3440x1440 screen and a 1920x1080 for your 2nd screen and also trying to encode at 2064x864 or 2292x960 - and then your gaming on it. you got alot going on there for nvenc to process. im sure obs has been optimized since but I remember being on the forums years ago when users first adopted the ultrawide monitors and i was researching if people had issues using that resolution in general while streaming - most if not all at the time were in fact having trouble streaming with dual monitors or more - back then the way to resolve it was just disconnecting the 2nd screen completely -I know its not the ideal fix being that some of us need the 2nd screen but hey FYI maybe give it a shot during your testing- me personally I cant get my gpu to act like yours is maybe because im not running a 2nd screen - ill retry later tonight -

on another note GPU's have advanced since my initial look into ultrawide streaming and our rtx cards can hold their own so it may not be a screen issue- I just have a hunch that our resolutions haven't gotten much love in general - I know alot of games are adopting it now but programs like obs for instance I personally believe its a hit or miss just like in games like I think it sees our resolution and freaks out for some reason lol weird I know but say streaming at 1920x1080 I get no trouble but introduce trouble*at times* when trying to push a ultrawide resolution. I feel that maybe obs can hit or miss with processing the weird horizontal / vertical pixels we ask it to do at times then you got other concerns for instance I found out that on twitch if you choose say one of the predetermined resolution that obs gives i believe is 1470x630? or 640 something - anything above resolution gives users on mobile or tablets issues - may look fine on your pc - but rip hand held users - I personally even found out trying to watch mystream on say xbox twitch app it was scaled incorrectly like it could not process a 21:9 resolution which is concerning cause i dont know how many people its effecting you know?

Hi @Fam3mon5ster

I need to updated as this issue wasn't actually the ultrawide, but the G-SYNC on my ultrawide, once I disabled Gsync everything was smooth. and no encoder lag issues.

I don't know if this is a a current bug but once i disabled it, all worked well. Streaming 1080p @ 60fps using CBR 6000. I'm using my 4K display (16:9) to avoid the squeezed look.