OBS Crashing when Browsing for an Image

BillyJBryant

When I attempt to browse for an Image, OBS crashes, this was not happening yesterday (or days prior). I have rebooted, to no avail. Not entirely sure what to do here as there are no crash logs produced. I took an strace and I'm uploading that, hopefully that helps. I should also note that this only happens when loading an image, media sources work with no problem.

CPU Name: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
CPU Speed: 4113.965MHz
Physical Cores: 4, Logical Cores: 8
Physical Memory: 31857MB Total, 16554MB Free
Kernel Version: Linux 5.4.0-37-generic
Distribution: "Ubuntu" "20.04"
Window System: X11.0, Vendor: The X.Org Foundation, Version: 1.20.8
Portable mode: false
OBS 25.0.7-196-g7dc40d5e (linux)

Last Log: https://obsproject.com/logs/SQNU8d2rGWNaYoCE

Attachments

• obs_strace.zip
    48.3 KB · Views: 23

Tuna

It is the browser source plugin. It can confligt with the main Gtk loop. Known, unresolved issues as today.

BillyJBryant

I wasn't having this issue before, it just started all of a sudden. It doesn't crash when I open media files, just images.

Tuna

The problem with the issue is it is not deterministic. Some people can use it without problems. For some people very often, for some sometimes.

The problem is with the gtk context and how it is used. This manifests when you use gtk internals, which is what the file picker is using.

Perhaps you have modified your scenes in way that suddenly you trigger the issue which hasn't before.

BillyJBryant

I confirmed that this is related to https://github.com/obsproject/obs-browser/issues/219.

My workaround was to modify the desktop file and add an env variable forcing the QT theme to the obs studio desktop launcher file.

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=OBS Studio
GenericName=Streaming/Recording Software
GenericName[fr]=Logiciel d'enregistrement/diffusion
Comment=Free and Open Source Streaming/Recording Software
Comment[fr]=Logiciel libre d'enregistrement et de diffusion sur Internet
Comment[ru]=Бесплатная программа с открытым кодом для записи/трансляции видео
Exec=env QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME="qt5ct" obs
Icon=com.obsproject.Studio
Terminal=false