OBS crashing internet

Crimonit

Hello, i know it is a common problem. I've read forum threads about it, someone was saying to change bitrate. It didn't work. What do i do?

Also, if you need any information - just ask, i don't know what EXACTLY do you need

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer

Crimonit

i checked them all out, and i can say

1. Try changing servers
before the problem, i had auto server mode, but i changed it according to Twitch Bandwidth Test programm

2. Try lowering bitrate
the problem is not in bitrate, i'm getting internet crashes, not stream lag

3. Don't stream over wireless
i don't

4. Try another streaming service (Just as a test)
i don't really get how it should help me

5. Check your firewall / router / antivirus / network software
My antivirus is called Kaspersky Total Security, and i already gave an exception to OBS.exe in it.

6. Speed tests are a very rough estimate - they mean very little with regards to streaming
nah , same as 2

7. Update Network Adapter Driver
Windows says it's updated

8. Bad router or bad networking hardware
Not really sure about that one, the problem is with OBS only

Dreadmodex

I have this same issue, and I've done a complete windows reinstall to try and fix it, but still didnt fix it.

It crashes the internet in the entire house, seemingly at random. Sometimes after 10minutes of stream, sometimes after 5-8hrs
It seems to only be during actual broadcasting and not during streamtests. No internet issues outside of when being live.
Duration and frequency of the crash varies, sometimes it's 10+ times during 1 stream, somtimes it's just 1-2.
Between 10sec and 5 min when internet is unusable for the entire household.

micco

I have this same issue, and I've done a complete windows reinstall to try and fix it, but still didnt fix it.

It crashes the internet in the entire house, seemingly at random. Sometimes after 10minutes of stream, sometimes after 5-8hrs
It seems to only be during actual broadcasting and not during streamtests. No internet issues outside of when being live.
Duration and frequency of the crash varies, sometimes it's 10+ times during 1 stream, somtimes it's just 1-2.
Between 10sec and 5 min when internet is unusable for the entire household.
Have you found a fix? This sounds exactly like my problem.

Lawrence_SoCal

[sorry, not in the mood for foolishness/ignorance today]
Folks - OBS isn't the problem. by definition, can't be. period. Even if OBS traffic is the apparent cause, OBS still isn't the problem. really
Does your network buckle under sustained upload traffic? appears so. In which case - fix your network!
Is the problem appearing only with OBS? still a network problem. Have you troubleshooted by streaming using another app with same output settings? No, then PEBKAC and any conclusions you've come to are likely faulty

Seriously, if whole house is impacted, not just OBS PC... then problem isn't on OBS PC (may be coming from it, but separate discussion)
OBS traffic isn't malicious. A true Crashed network means either
1. a bad network
2. traffic from a given device causing network crash (refer back to #1, though some malicious traffic combined with defective (piss poor quality, i.e. ALL consumer) network gear can cause a crash as well). This would include things like bad Killer Networks drivers which were reported to be causing issues at one time [but only impacted associated PC, not entire LAN].
Now, I consider settings on the network, which don't work with actual traffic to be in case#1. In which case, it is either piss-poor firmware or PEBKAC or both
There are the really odd ball cases where a bad NIC or cable creates scenario where invalid Ethernet traffic gets on the network, and then who knows what might happen depending on the exact packets, but that shouldn't be driven by a particular app. ie - similar upstream traffic load should result in similar problems (ie stream from another app, and is there a difference)
But in far more cases, a setting on a consumer router causes the router CPU to spike. and traffic flow slows or halts. With real-time, device monitoring this would be obvious, but on consumer devices I've only seen this on 3rd party firmware. So what appears to be a 'crash' is more often a 'hang'... but really depends on make/model/firmware of a given switch, and well outside OBS support considerations.

Then again, for more common is folks simply being unaware of how a home network works, and doing things, especially with WiFi, that is bound to cause problems, and then not recognizing the network traffic symptoms when they happen

shansmi

Service to the house goes down and not just the PC? Check your router and maybe switch. Are you using VLANs and does your router have gaming mode which reserves bandwidth for games? Maybe add OBS as a game to it or shut that feature off. I always turn that crap off but that is just me. What service do you have? I have optical 500/500 Mbps service for example. What level of traffic are you sending out the NIC? Lots of ways to see that? I use gadgetpack...
Widgets_Screenshot 2021-12-30 143707.png