OBS-Classic: How to make high quality local recordings

OBS Classic OBS-Classic: How to make high quality local recordings

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
R1CH submitted a new resource:

How to make high quality local recordings - Settings for local recording only, not for streaming

Here are the settings you are required to change to get high quality local recordings. Do not attempt to use these settings for live streaming!

Encoding
Use CBR: Disabled
Quality Balance: 10
Bitrate: 1000
Use custom buffer size: Enabled
Buffer size: 0

Advanced Options
Use custom x264 parameters: Enabled
Custom x264 parameters: crf=X
Where X is anywhere from 1-20, lower being higher quality / higher CPU usage. A good place to start is the 15 - 20 range. A CRF of 0...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:

Aresias

whith crf 15 and preset Superfast quality is awesome but it requires alot of CPU usage. if i have to lower a setting what is the best choice ? high crf with preset Superfast or low crf with preset Ultrafast ?

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
I wouldn't recommend going to ultrafast, but in terms of quality a low crf with ultrafast may make up the difference with the large bitrate. Best is to just experiment and find out what works for you.

lwcoyote

While I havn't actually tried these settings yet (I just installed OBS) this is basically what I was looking for. Thanks!

Pilly

i tried severals settings and these too but the video is still cloudely with high light contrast. Is there other setting to have a better render video ?

Aresias

I play a game with a fog effect and light on a dark background with a small color gradient and i shake te camera to see if the macroblocks appears when i pause the video.
With Superfast preset and crf=15 macroblocs are not visible and quality is near perfection but CPU usage is very high.
With Ultrafast preset and crf=15 macroblocs are visible.
I tried this: Superfast preset, crf=15 and cabac=0. it seems that it reduces the quality a little but macroblocks remain invisible.
What do you think ?

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Pilly said:
i tried severals settings and these too but the video is still cloudely with high light contrast. Is there other setting to have a better render video ?
This is a problem with your video player, turn on full dynamic range / PC levels.

Voxletum

R1CH said:
Pilly said:
This is a problem with your video player, turn on full dynamic range / PC levels.
Not sure how to do this with VLC

*edit* I was able to force it in the nvidia control panel and it fixed the issue on my end, but by default the nvidia drivers go by the video player's setting for the dynamic range thing. I'd like to be able to only adjust that in VLC.

fearu

I'm comletely lost I've been trying to get local recording to work and the quality is just aweful, I know my computer can handle it im jsut trying to figure out what setting im messing up.

shura30

isn't there any chance we will have this as a complementary option to streaming?
i mean stream at a quality then local record to another

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
shura30 said:
isn't there any chance we will have this as a complementary option to streaming?
i mean stream at a quality then local record to another
Yes this is planned for some future Version, as far as I know.

fearu said:
I'm comletely lost I've been trying to get local recording to work and the quality is just aweful, I know my computer can handle it im jsut trying to figure out what setting im messing up.
It is very important that you set the custom buffer size to 0. (under encoding in the settings window)

The advanced settings for a higher crf factor can increase the quality further, remember going from crf=20 -> crf=0 until you find a satisfying quality/cpu usage setting.

Using these setting for 'File Output Mode' makes the bitrate of the video file massive, like 93442kbps big!! This make it almost impossible to encode the video to edit it, as it would take something like 9 hours to encode a 20 min video!! I usually use Lagarith lossless codec and the bitrate of these types of files usually come out at 9000-10000 big. So why are the files from OBS soo large??

zRZCU5b.png

Why?

Krazy

Town drunk
Er, I'm not familiar with Premiere at all, so I don't know what it's supposed to look like. What exactly is going on, here?