OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

Yes it takes a lot of time, at least when the size is big.
It's recommended to remux to another HDD, this speeds up the task by at least twice.

Not sure how VLC converts, hopefully it's lossless and just remuxing, and if so, you should also save to another HDD here to save a lot of time.

Weird that it must be done though.

Is there a reason you force yourself to use Camtasia, aren't there any alternatives?

Well, I don't want to buy another program, that's the main reason. Second reason is that Camtasia is probably the fastest at rendering. For now, I get 30+ FPS recording with Fraps in all games so it's not a big problem that it doesn't read OBS. Maybe when I won't get 30 FPS with Fraps, OBS will change encoding and Camtasia will read these files or somebody will make VCE working with DxTory if it isn't right now :)

By the way - I just ended some test streams, everything is okay, but that bitrate :/ I think that quality balance set to 2 is the most optimal for streaming 1080p, for 720p maybe 1 will be enough but I didn't test 720p. Is there a way to set more "complex" preset like in x264 is veryfast, slow etc. for VCE? Maybe then it would look nice even if quality balance was set to 1 (1000-4500 Kb/s as I have noticed). Well, thank you, I always wanted to stream 1080p but I couldn't even stream BF3 720p 30 FPS sometimes :P What have you done is much more than I would like to have, but I hope you will tame (I don't know if it's a good word for that) the bitrate :)

Oh, and let's don't make offtop here, we should leave Camtasia problem

Understandable, will ask this though, what do you use it for, do you only add your intro?
Cause if that's only what you do, Avisynth will be the Holy Grail, it will also help you Cut/Merge clips.

If you however add effects and such, it won't be of much help as it would probably be more complicated.

You could check out this: https://github.com/jackun/openencodevfw

Use that with Virtualdub or something with some lossless gaming videos and see what FPS/Quality etc you get, and try out the settings.

Agreed:)

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Tested through the different qualities and cbr/vbr. I couldnt get another rate control method than 0 or 3 activated. is there a trick to do that?

Attachments

• 2014-05-08-0147-26.log
    40.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 2014-05-08-0212-00.log
    49.1 KB · Views: 40

jackun

Developer
Tested through the different qualities and cbr/vbr. I couldnt get another rate control method than 0 or 3 activated. is there a trick to do that?

Under Advanced, untick x264's "Use CRF" and untick CBR. Should give method 4 aka VBR.
But seems that driver takes some liberties with some OpenEncode settings. I'll see if i can get the new AMD Media SDK working.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Oki, control method 4 only lags, no matter what quality I chose.
I am currently on the 14.4 driver (7850, log only says 7800 series).

Attachments

• 2014-05-08-1320-57.log
    38.7 KB · Views: 37

jackun

Developer
Oki, control method 4 only lags, no matter what quality I chose.
I am currently on the 14.4 driver (7850, log only says 7800 series).
Log shows you are encoding at 100Mbps :D But still, 5ms to copy one frame out :S

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Well I thought it was variable bitrate :) With quicksync I normally use 50-100mb as well for 1080p60, so it looks good perfect in any case. Should I try lower bitrates atm?

Are you able to do 50-100mbps with Quicksync?
What is the CPU load compared to x264 with closest preset comparable to that?

Also if you get it working with AMD VCE, i am interested in the same results there.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Yea I currently use 100mbps for quicksync, it mostly sits below 40mbps though.
Cpu usage is normally 3-4%.

Interesting, could you do the same settings with x264 (or similar) and see what gives?

Also, i find it weird that it's below 40mbps, from my understanding QuickSync lies quite below x264 in terms of quality, and while you let it take up to 100mbps, i don't get why it's not using it, below 40mbps should give good results yes, but i would expect it to use like 60-80mbps to be able to achieve transparency.

Has anyone else tried to stream using VCE? I stream on hitbox and I have a problem - audio is delayed to video. On recording everything is okay, but on hitbox archive - delayed. Can it be caused by high bitrate? Maybe it's to high for hitbox and it tries to render it to lower bitrate and it causes desync, something like is when you're watching Twitch on lower quality than Source (I don't know if audio is really delayed then, because I've never had to watch in lower quality). I didn't notice this problem when streaming using x264.
I can show you a short video that I cut blind (there's some problem with hitbox editor, when you select a moment that isn't buffered yet the video starts from the begining), but hitbox processes it long, strange because it's only 55 sec.

I guess the problem can occur if there is some buffering going on which isn't known of, or misused.
If so the audio will probably have a Fixed Delay of a certain amount of frames, that amount may perhaps differ though depending on settings,system etc.

I am guessing it's just a bug and is can be fixed.

However, as it's not occurring in Local Recordings, as you stated, and i myself have seen them, it may be that the delay is set in the MP4 file, meaning it's solved on playback. While Streaming doesn't allow that and it just assumes they start at the same point, which would case desync.

All this is speculation however.

Well, I checked every checkbox in OBS that's responsible for sync, but maybe VCE doesn't mind if it's checked or not. That's another thing you should check @jackun.

That's what makes me think it's something with buffering that's being mishandled, VCE probably has it's own things compared to x264, which must be corrected when streaming etc, and it probably hasn't been looked at yet.

Would be interested if the issue is found to hear what it was.

It might not be what you think. I checked somewhere in VLC if it set some kind of sync, but it was set to 0 s so I guess it didn't have to quicken (correct word?) audio, but maybe decoder or whatever is responsible for that did it... I really need to educate myself in everything that hides behind video encoding and decoding and other related stuff ;)

Are you talking about the fixed delay or perhaps the speed of the audio?
Audio are pretty much Never in sync with the video on a PC when recording, there will always be desync between them.

In some cases it's noticeable after awhile, in other it may be like 10ms delay after 10 hours.

This however is fixable by tuning and resampling realtime, in other words sync audio to video (Can be done video to audio also, but audio is a lot more flexible).

I doubt that's the problem you are having, as that would not be noticeable at start, you would notice it after 1 hour at best.

What you are having is most likely fixed Delay, not sure how to see if an MP4 file has info about that, i am guessing you can use MediaInfo and then look at the "Text" and scroll down to Audio, you will there find the status:
Delay relative to video : 10ms
or something like that.

If that however is 0ms or something that can't be the delay you are getting on the Streaming, than something else is probably occurring behind the scenes.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
The audio/video delay problem is a bug in OBS, not the fault of VCE (I think). We know what the problem is and will be trying to fix it in an upcoming update.